Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

I am Timmy

sorry I assumed Father as your screen name includes Timmy. I agree that alcohol isn't needed for things to happen in cabanas, and there probably are people who have thought about it. but does it happen at the waterparks?
That's ok, I got the nickname when my son was tiny, what was supposed to be "mommy" sounded exactly like "timmy", lol. And yes, when my sons were small, we went to Aquatica and rented a cabana, and there was a couple in the one next to ours, well.... I told them they were wrestling. We closed up that side of our cabana and decided rest time was over! Then a storm hit and most the park left, including our neighbor, we stayed. The storm passed, we had the park to ourselves, and we never had a chance to complain to management. So, I guess it happens- just please not at Disney!

Tony the Tigger

Sadly, my DS 21 has started calling the cabanas in MK "sex tents". It wasn't so long ago that my sons were innocent, little Disney fans. Now they are world savvy, adult Disney fans. My sons (24,21) who have been going with to DW for years, seem to think that combining alcohol with private cabanas in MK will invite challenges to do naughty things in those cabanas so they can brag about these things they did in MK! Any thoughts?

I wouldn't be surprised.

21stamps

That's ok, I got the nickname when my son was tiny, what was supposed to be "mommy" sounded exactly like "timmy", lol. And yes, when my sons were small, we went to Aquatica and rented a cabana, and there was a couple in the one next to ours, well.... I told them they were wrestling. We closed up that side of our cabana and decided rest time was over! Then a storm hit and most the park left, including our neighbor, we stayed. The storm passed, we had the park to ourselves, and we never had a chance to complain to management. So, I guess it happens- just please not at Disney!

I can relate to your here.. a little less dramatic, but we were at our Zoo a few weeks ago. They have an event called Festival of Lights during the holidays. It's gorgeous, and always packed.
There's a semi hidden off the path spot with 1 bench that we always hang out at.

So anyway, we buy some roasted nuts, hot chocolates in hand, and sit on that bench to watch the light show on the lake. A few minutes later I hear a noise. Turn and a teenage couple was in full makeout mode against a wooden fence to the right of us. 3 feet away. Not lightly kissing, it was full on get a room type of inappropriate pda. Needless to say we left that spot. I don't think our zoo serves alcohol, not to my knowledge. I just think every once in awhile you run in to those type of people. Hopefully few and very far between. In all of our visits that's the first something like that happened.

As for the MK tents, I don't view them as makeout spots, I'm picturing them more for families who are doing one day at MK and want a spot to gather and rest away from the crowds.

Last edited:

21stamps

sorry I assumed Father as your screen name includes Timmy. I agree that alcohol isn't needed for things to happen in cabanas, and there probably are people who have thought about it. but does it happen at the waterparks?
It may or may not happen at the water park we frequent...but we rent cabanas often in the summer here, I've never seen anything crazy. I think the majority of people rent a cabana for shade, a designated meeting spot, guaranteed chairs, and yes- food and alcohol.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And I don't see why the limited sales of beer and wine with food in Table Service locations is so traumatic to a distinct minority of people. It's not like WDW announced they're going to force kids to start smoking or that they're introducing pole and lap dancing...

In some FAMILIES, the regular moderate use of alcohol is not only tolerated, but encouraged. Just because it doesn't fit your definition of "family" doesn't make it wrong.

As far as tradition goes, that died with Walt himself. The new tradition is "Shareholder Value."

It's not the sales of wine and beer at TS venues which bother most of us for me at least I consider that a win even though it goes against Walt's intent for castle parks.

its sales of wine and beer at every ODV cart in the park which is the elephant in the room. The combination of alcohol, heat and overcrowding and the accompanying stress is a volatile brew which WILL backfire on WDW.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
its sales of wine and beer at every ODV cart in the park which is the elephant in the room. The combination of alcohol, heat and overcrowding and the accompanying stress is a volatile brew which WILL backfire on WDW.
But the alcohol at MK is available only in TS restaurants. And only when you sit down for a meal (there is no "bar" area to just get a drink). How is it that something that is NOT happening WILL backfire?

Tony the Tigger

I can relate to your here.. a little less dramatic, but we were at our Zoo a few weeks ago. They have an event called Festival of Lights during the holidays. It's gorgeous, and always packed.
There's a semi hidden off the path spot with 1 bench that we always hang out at.

So anyway, we by some roasted nuts, hot chocolates in hand, and sit on that bench to watch the light show on the lake. A few minutes later I hear a noise. Turn and a teenage couple was in full makeout mode against a wooden fence to the right of us. 3 feet away. Not lightly kissing, it was full on get a room type of inappropriate pda. Needless to say we left that spot. I don't think our zoo serves alcohol, not to my knowledge. I just think every once in awhile you run in to those type of people. Hopefully few and very far between. In all of our visits that's the first something like that happened.

As for the MK tents, I don't view them as makeout spots, I'm picturing them more for families who are doing one day at MK and want a spot to gather and rest away from the crowds.

A few years ago, we went to the movies in the middle of the afternoon (as we often do, the ticket prices are lower) and there was hardly anyone in the theater.

But there was a girl going "full-blown" Alanis Morissette on some guy towards the back (I went for a popcorn refill.) And it was that movie where Robin Williams plays a politician - OK I just looked it up and it was 11 years ago LOL "Man Of The Year."

There's always a chance of stumbling across such things in public.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But the alcohol at MK is available only in TS restaurants. And only when you sit down for a meal (there is no "bar" area to just get a drink). How is it that something that is NOT happening WILL backfire?

There is NO WAY Disney is going to forgo the revenue from outdoor alcohol sales at the MK. Sorry their behavior over the last 18 months shows that if it can be monetized it will be.

As a Disney bean counter what would you rather sell. A $10 cup of beer or a 3.50 cup of soft drink. That beer will boost PCGS a lot more than the soft drink and it will also boost revenue per square foot immensely.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A few years ago, we went to the movies in the middle of the afternoon (as we often do, the ticket prices are lower) and there was hardly anyone in the theater.

But there was a girl going "full-blown" Alanis Morissette on some guy towards the back (I went for a popcorn refill.) And it was that movie where Robin Williams plays a politician - OK I just looked it up and it was 11 years ago LOL "Man Of The Year."

Read the book 'The Darker Side of Disney' for a list of suggested ahem, sites they will surprise you as to how plentiful they are in all the parks and the Contemporary BTW

21stamps

Oh wow! I just had a make out in movie theaters convo a few weeks ago.lol A guy that I work with has a teenage daughter, he made a comment "My daughter went on her first date last night. I allowed her to go to the movies only because it's impossible to make out at them now." I guess it's true though, now that almost all theatres have recliners kids would have a more difficult time.lol

beertiki

As much as I would like to add the MK to "my list", $650 is crazy, and I find the idea of private cabanas repulsive. Now maybe it would be worth it to do bad things in there so that they will be removed.

This weekend was the first time in years that I did not have a few drinks at the MK.

Goofyernmost

As much as I would like to add the MK to "my list", $650 is crazy, and I find the idea of private cabanas repulsive. Now maybe it would be worth it to do bad things in there so that they will be removed.

This weekend was the first time in years that I did not have a few drinks at the MK.
A hooker and a cheap hotel would be a whole lot less money.

beertiki

A hooker and a cheap hotel would be a whole lot less money.
Did the "cheap" hotel with an old GF years ago. No longer on my list, and now that I am happily married, no need for a hooker.

I guarantee there has been some action in those cabanas, Disney should have known there would be, and it's only a matter of time before there is an embarrassing situation.

I am Timmy

So anyway, we by some roasted nuts, hot chocolates in hand, and sit on that bench to watch the light show on the lake. A few minutes later I hear a noise. Turn and a teenage couple was in full makeout mode against a wooden fence to the right of us. 3 feet away. Not lightly kissing, it was full on get a room type of inappropriate pda. Needless to say we left that spot. I don't think our zoo serves alcohol, not to my knowledge. I just think every once in awhile you run in to those type of people. Hopefully few and very far between. In all of our visits that's the first something like that happened.

I hope you are right, and they are out of the way. It's not like any parkgoer will stumble across them. Also, what a lovely holiday story! Hope your kids weren't with you! Thank you for sharing it, though. People come in all kinds, don't they?

I am Timmy

OMG. Please tell me you did not have kids with you. Not exactly a kid movie, but you never know. Also, thank you for sharing that, I am not alone in the world!

21stamps

I hope you are right, and they are out of the way. It's not like any parkgoer will stumble across them. Also, what a lovely holiday story! Hope your kids weren't with you! Thank you for sharing it, though. People come in all kinds, don't they?
It was me and my 6 year old sitting on the bench.

I am Timmy

If it's a larger group of young adults splitting the cost, not so crazy. Waayyy too expensive for my budget.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom