Alamo or National Rental Car?

sksowell

Original Poster
Hi - I'm a long time reader - first time poster. My family is vacationing at WDW in May and we will be renting a car to hit the beach for a few days at the end of our vacation. We will be staying onsight at PORFQ and I see both Alamo and National rent cars from the car care center. We will be returning the car to OrlandoI nternational Airport, my question is which one of these companies offers the easiest convenience at the airport? We will be traveling with a 1 year old so the easier the better when we go to drop off the car and lug all the luggage and Disney bags into the airport.
Thanks for any advice you have to offer!

Empress Room

Actually, I've found that Dollar has the best rates and is most convenient (pick up and drop off right at the airport - very short walk from baggage area).

tink rules

If you are renting from the resort... I think they may be the same company. Check rates and see which is best. Also, check Mousesavers and see if they have any good codes for discounts.

Ausdaddy

Alamo and National are the same company. I have only rented from National and had mixed experiences. If you rent an intermediate car, you can pick your car from the emerald isle. Sometimes this will net you a better vehicle than you signed up for. That's really the only advantage to National and it's a gamble. I've scored a better vehicle about 70% of the time. Sometimes they only have one exit open and a long line to get out. I've waited 20 minutes just to exit. I've heard good things about Dollar and would consider them as National's Orlando rates have gone up recently. Good Luck!

TTFN-Tiggger

National and Alamo are the same company. I believe they are the vendor used for Disney vacation packages. I remember waiting in line to pick up the car with my voucher - I waited for over 1 hour. I now book a car on my own when I need one to take advantage of the Emerald Aisle service. Returning at the airport is very easy. Have a good trip! :)

sksowell

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice so far. Since we are picking up at the car care center I think I will be fine there, my concern is more with drop off at the airport and the shuttle. Since they are the same company are they at the same location at the airport or is one of them closer? So a shorter shuttle ride.

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
They are on-site. There is no shuttle involved when using National - we use it every time and I wouldn't give up our Emerald Aisle for anything!

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
Actually, I am not the one in charge of the car rentals. I will get back to you on that later today after I find out for myself. I know we rent cars A LOT so it may be a frequent-renter type thing, but I'm pretty sure it's a fee thing. It is not under my name, but last month I did rent a car from National, and I had a quick-service option. I could sign up to rent a car just like if I had Emerald Aisle as long as I had a credit card and a clean driving record. But I'll get back to you later today on that.

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
I just checked on our Emerald Club - it came free with the old Disney Club when it existed and it hasn't been paid for since. Hope that helps.

ErickainPA

We just got back from our December trip and we rented a car for a week. We reserved on-line at alamo.com and used the mousesaver code of orless. I had a mid-size reserved, checked 2 days later and there was a mid-size SUV for about $100 less, canceled the other car and took the SUV. You can get picked up right at your resort by Alamo. Just call them anytime from 1 hour to day prior (I called 1 hour from time I wanted to be picked up and the driver came right on time) to when you need to be picked up and then wait where they tell you (for us at Pop it was in front of the building lobby) They drove us to the Car Care Center, since we chose to get the car from there instead of the Swan/Dolphin. We were in and out of the office in about 5-10 mins and on our way back to our resort, they even asked us if we needed directions back (the driver and also the desk help) to our hotel. To get back into the resort area at the gate, you just have to scan your room key.

Getting back to the airport drop-off, just follow the signs for Alamo/National (we got the take away full, bring back empty plan, the gas rate was the best we had seen in the area) and it's in the parking garage, you pull in, unpack and the attendant comes and scans the car back in, gives you a receipt and you just walk to the end of the garage and across the street to the airport. So simple, we plan to use them again, as the rate was good and everything happened quickly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom