"Aladdin" Will Cut the Rug as Park Musical

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
"Aladdin" Will Cut the Rug as Park Musical

NEW YORK (Variety) -- Disney's "Aladdin" is the latest animated feature to get the theater treatment. But its magic carpet isn't destined for Broadway. The new stage musical is the first major project on Anne Ham-burger's slate as executive VP of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts. "Aladdin" opens Dec. 9 at Disney's California Adventure in Anaheim. With the original film score by Alan Menken, Howard Ashman and Tim Rice, the show has been given a new book by Chad Beguelin ("The Rhythm Club") and will be presented under the direction of opera helmer Francesca Zambello. Choreography is by Lynne Taylor-Corbett, who staged "Swing!" on Broadway. As for taking "Aladdin" beyond the Disney theme parks, Hamburger didn't rule it out. "That is up to Tom Schumacher and Michael Eisner. If it works to make it into a two-hour show and take it to Broadway, they will," she said. "But my focus is on the theme parks." Zambello's participation continues the House of Mouse's recent tradition of putting cutting-edge directors, such as Julie Taymor ("The Lion King") and Matthew Bourne ("The Little Mermaid"), in charge of its legit productions. Reviled or lauded for her bizarre interpretations of classic operas, Zambello will stage Hector Berlioz's five-hour-plus extravaganza "Les Troyens" at the Metro-politan Opera this season. "Aladdin" will be performed multiple times in the park, seven days a week, employ-ing two casts and crews.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Better be good to replace Blast! I heard that was a good show. But Disney has done a pretty good job based on shows heading for Broadway. How many musicals are they going to make based on past films? I know they are making ones based on Mary Poppins, Pinocchio, and TARZAN.

DLMAGICDARREN

Anne Hamburger was also the person who ruined the original Steps in Time, so we will have to wait and see. I am excited for it, and hope it does turn out to be a good show.

I'm Blast-ed out, and looking forward to a good replacement.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
She also created some of the bad entertainment that is currently at Disney's California Adventure like the Monsters Inc. show and the Lilo & Stitch show in Paradise Pier that is actually a promotion for the Pizza Ow-Mow-Mow restaurant?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom