Aladdin the DL Dark Ride: 1955, 1983 & Now

Rich T

Original Poster
Imagine if Aladdin had been made in the early 1950’s and was adapted into one of the three Opening Day FL dark rides...

1955: ALADDIN’S ARABIAN FRIGHTS

Ride scenes:

- CAVE OF WONDERS: Ride vehicle enters through stone tiger’s mouth painted on exterior mural. Abu steals gem. Treasure and rock piles threaten to fall. Genie points the way out to...

- MARKETPLACE: Guards lunge out from behind market stalls. A dark alley leads to...

- JAFAR’S LAIR: Jafar cackles, holding the genie lamp. The eyes in his snake staff light up as vehicle escapes into...

- TRANSFORMED PALACE: As pillars crack and totter, Snake Jafar approaches from the end of a palace corridor. You turn a corner to find Jasmine imprisoned in the big hourglass. You enter a pitch dark room where many giant hourglasses fall and spin. You turn one final corner...

GIANT SNAKE MOUTH: Swallows you. The End.

1983: ALADDIN’S ARABIAN ADVENTURES

Ride scenes:

- CAVE OF WONDERS: Entering though a sculpted stone tiger’s mouth, vehicles find a beautiful cave of treasures. One pile of treasure, with Abu on top, totters a bit. You pass a scene of Aladdin meeting Genie.

- MARKETPLACE: You see Aladdin arrive as Prince Ali in a scaled-down parade scene. Jasmine, the Sultan and Raja watch from palace balcony. A dark alley leads to...

- JAFAR’S LAIR: Jafar laughs evilly as Iago appears in window, holding the lamp.

- TRANSFORMED PALACE: Genie covers his eyes and Jasmine shields her father as Aladdin faces Giant Snake Jafar. Snake bellows, “I WISH TO BE A GENIE!!!” Turn corner to see spinning sculpt of Genie Jafar being pulled into lamp (“Noooooooo!!!)

- HAPPY PALACE: Very small final scene shows Aladdin and Jasmine waving goodbye to freed genie. The End.

2021: ALADDIN’S MAGICAL DREAM

Ride scenes:

- CAVE OF WONDERS: Aladdin is sitting on a big diamond and singing “There’s so much more to meeeeeeeee” while Abu holds up the lamp.

- FRIEND LIKE ME: An awkward attempt to recreate the musical number using a not-great-looking AA genie surrounded by projections lifted straight from the movie.

- MARKETPLACE: A small crowd of guards and merchants watch a film clip of the Prince Ali parade.

- JAFAR’S LAIR: Same as before, but more brightly lit and less threatening.

- MAGIC CARPET: Vehicle passes a lightly animated sculpt of Aladdin and Jasmine sitting on Magic Carpet singing “Whole New World” surrounded by toony clouds. In the background, you can just barely see a tiny cardboard cutout of Snake Jafar looking kinda angry.

- HAPPY ENDING: Projected flowers and sparkles enliven the throne room as Aladdin and Jasmine wave goodbye to Genie.

- HAPPY ENDING (?) PART TWO: On your left, Jasmine waves goodbye to Aladdin (on your right) as he waves back to her while leaving aboard magic carpet. The End.

Last edited:

180º

This post is so vivid and dead-on that I no longer live in a world where this isn’t actually Disneyland history. I can’t believe they ruined the Aladdin ride like that. Bring back Aladdin’s Arabian Adventures, Disney. 😡

Miru

Can you do this parody with other rides? This reminds me of an older topic about imagining 1955-style dark rides. Theoretically, would TLM get watered down further from its current state? And it even shows that even the 1955 rides and their flaws (though you could have emphasized that the original guards and Jafar were plywood)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom