"Aladdin" live action movie remake

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I think Disney is now too afraid to fully invest in big-budget original concepts, and as such, we are getting new "origin" stories based on established franchises. Pixar excluded, but let's be honest, they have the clout to do whatever they want.
Big budget original concepts have been massive failures. When you have back-to-back-to-back flops of John Carter, Lone Ranger, and Tomorrowland (and those weren't even original if you want to be strict about your interpretation), I'd be a little gun-shy too. I think Disney is going to stick with their five "sure things" of Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, WDAS, and live-action remakes, then fill the slate with modest budget films like MacFarland, USA, Saving Mr. Banks, Into the Woods, and Million Dollar Arm.

Tony Perkis

Big budget original concepts have been massive failures. When you have back-to-back-to-back flops of John Carter, Lone Ranger, and Tomorrowland (and those weren't even original if you want to be strict about your interpretation), I'd be a little gun-shy too. I think Disney is going to stick with their five "sure things" of Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, WDAS, and live-action remakes, then fill the slate with modest budget films like MacFarland, USA, Saving Mr. Banks, Into the Woods, and Million Dollar Arm.
Blah. Just because Disney invests poorly in new IPs doesn't mean it negates the equally abysmal franchise decisions.

Iger gave Gore Verbinski $250m to adapt The Lone Ranger with Armie Hammer as a co-lead. I could tell on paper that was a bad investment.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I agree, but I don't understand all the hate these announced live-action movies get...

I think many factors have contributed to the glut of fairytale live-action films ($$$). One of which I think Disney is attempting to preserve their claim on the genre which is very much important to the brand. So if Disney is pitched a movie about Cinderella, they take it. There are non-Disney Peter Pan and Jungle Book live-action movies coming...so other Studios are definitely looking to stake their own claims. Disney is winning the arms race though.

When movies like Tomorrowland fail to draw audiences, and Jurrassic World sets records...it's not hard to see why studios are hesitant to try anything new.

A Genie movie is an original story of an established character at least.

Jurassic World was going to shatter records regardless of Tomorrowland being good or not.

brb1006

I think they should cast the guy who plays the Genie in the Aladdin Broadway musical.
I love that guy so much. He even joked about the new Selfie Stick ban days before taking effect at WDW and Disneyland. I'm still waiting for a new joke about this prequelprequel sometime this month or next month.

maxairmike

I love that guy so much. He even joked about the new Selfie Stick ban days before taking effect at WDW and Disneyland. I'm still waiting for a new joke about this prequelprequel sometime this month or next month.

Not the DCA "broadway" version, the actual Broadway version, as in New York City Broadway.

While I haven't the slightest idea about the actor they cast for the Broadway play, I have serious doubts about the Genie being done by anyone but Robin Williams, at least on screen. He made the character the breakout star that he is, and I suspect basically wrote his own lines via ad lib and partially shaped the movie in that way. Finding someone to fill those shoes...I certainly wouldn't want to be the casting director.

Fox&Hound

Remember when Disney went overboard with all the straight-to-video sequel garbage a while back: 102 Dalmatians, Cinderella 2&3, Jungle Book 2, Hunchback 2, Fox&Hound 2, Little Mermaid 2&3. I feel like they are starting to make the same mistake with these live-action films. Even Pixar is jumping on the sequel band wagon. I understand the hesitancy after flops like John Carter and Tomorrowland but this is too much....

Disneyfanman

I guess I'm optimistic. I thought Malificent was a terrible idea. And then I liked the film. I thought Cinderella was an even more terrible idea. And then I LOVED it. I couldn't wait for Tomorrowland. And then I didn't like the movie. In the end, regardless of the source material, I think a story can be well done or trash. So I think I'm viewing each of these things as something I will wait to see before commenting.

On a side note I just saw the casting list for Pete's Dragon. Some pretty amazing talent is involved. I've decided that one may work too.

Blackie Pueblo

Remember when Disney went overboard with all the straight-to-video sequel garbage a while back: 102 Dalmatians, Cinderella 2&3, Jungle Book 2, Hunchback 2, Fox&Hound 2, Little Mermaid 2&3. I feel like they are starting to make the same mistake with these live-action films. Even Pixar is jumping on the sequel band wagon. I understand the hesitancy after flops like John Carter and Tomorrowland but this is too much....

Agree! And I HATED THE MAJORITY of the straight to make money sequels. I think not only did they take away from the original movies but they also in some cases destroyed love characters. My main thing is sometimes its best to leave origins as a mystery or just small released. Perfect example was Darth Vader. In the original Star Wars we got his backstory through other characters and it made him mysterious and made you kind of wonder and feel sorry for him. When we got the prequel all we got was hatred towards the way the character in the story was told. In truth we really didn't need a prequel about Darth Vader and I don't think we really need prequel how about your the genie. Oh, and Aladdin is one of my favorites just FYI.

champdisney

I wonder what role Will Smith turned down for Dumbo... perhaps their may have been creative differences between he and director Tim Burton? Out of all the years those two have made movies, not once have they worked together. Oh well.

Anyways, I think Will Smith portraying the role of Genie sounds promising. He's got the look, smile and charisma. Hope Disney seals the deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom