"Aladdin" live action movie remake

doctornick

As silly as it is for all these live action versions, I would prefer for them to be different stories rather than the same storyline but with live actors. So, at least Genies seems somewhat novel rather than a simple retelling of Aladdin.

That said, there's literally a thousand different Arabian Nights stories that could be made into movies -- why not develop one of the other ones as opposed to something related to Aladdin.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I really would like to see this work. Aladdin was one of my favorites when I was little and is still a top 10 Disney movie for me. That said, I'm not sure how they will be able to pull this off without Robin...

I haven't really caught on to the live action remakes, but this might be enough to make me start seeing them.

Tony Perkis

Jack-Donaghy-Pouring-Alcohol-Loop-30-Rock.gif

Sped2424

As silly as it is for all these live action versions, I would prefer for them to be different stories rather than the same storyline but with live actors. So, at least Genies seems somewhat novel rather than a simple retelling of Aladdin.

That said, there's literally a thousand different Arabian Nights stories that could be made into movies -- why not develop one of the other ones as opposed to something related to Aladdin.
This story is the prequel, and then the Aladdin live action version comes after according to IGN. At this point it's such sad overkill of a market. They are going to run their fairytales into the ground.

Sped2424

This as well.

The only live action remake I'm interested in is Beauty and the Beast. I would included Guillermo del Toro's Haunted Mansion, but that wasn't originally an animated film.
honestly I think they could chop down their line up to films that could work with a live action retelling
Mulan (action epic)
Winnie the pooh (change the aesthetic to the original novels or even the original toys.)
Aladdin (if a full blown musical much like BATB)
That's all that should be done in the next 6 years with live action films.

champdisney

Are we also going to see how Jafar became evil in the first place?
Seems unlikely. If the prequel focuses on Genie, then, we're going back... 10,000 years back. That's one of the things that intrigues me about this. The time gap and saving the Aladdin story/remake as the sequel. Only question is: will the prequel story make Genie the main character going into "Aladdin"? As told by his perspective?

Shaman

I agree, but I don't understand all the hate these announced live-action movies get...

I think many factors have contributed to the glut of fairytale live-action films ($$$). One of which I think Disney is attempting to preserve their claim on the genre which is very much important to the brand. So if Disney is pitched a movie about Cinderella, they take it. There are non-Disney Peter Pan and Jungle Book live-action movies coming...so other Studios are definitely looking to stake their own claims. Disney is winning the arms race though.

When movies like Tomorrowland fail to draw audiences, and Jurrassic World sets records...it's not hard to see why studios are hesitant to try anything new.

A Genie movie is an original story of an established character at least.

Tony Perkis

I agree, but I don't understand all the hate these announced live-action movies get...

I think many factors have contributed to the glut of fairytale live-action films ($$$). One of which I think Disney is attempting to preserve their claim on the genre which is very much important to the brand. So if Disney is pitched a movie about Cinderella, they take it. There are non-Disney Peter Pan and Jungle Book live-action movies coming...so other Studios are definitely looking to stake their own claims. Disney is winning the arms race though.

When movies like Tomorrowland fail to draw audiences, and Jurrassic World sets records...it's not hard to see why studios are hesitant to try anything new.

A Genie movie is an original story of an established character at least.
I think Disney is now too afraid to fully invest in big-budget original concepts, and as such, we are getting new "origin" stories based on established franchises. Pixar excluded, but let's be honest, they have the clout to do whatever they want.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom