"Aladdin" live action movie remake

CJR

We just got back, we enjoyed it. Not perfect, far from it, and a huge step down from the animated version which had a much better climax, but still, better than other films I've seen. It's very watchable, not an "Into the Looking Glass". Some stuff even worked far better than I anticipated.

Will Smith did a great job as the genie, IMO. The cast overall was pretty well done, the faults were more tied to direction, specifically pacing. It's not a full on repeat of the animated version, which is good, but what's replaced is lesser. That's not to say it's bad, just lesser. I don't view that entirely as a bad thing, because that just means the original animated film will hold up even longer.

Mike S

It’s kind of like when a poster bashes a movie with a female lead because it was some liberal SJW feminist movement.

We know they’re wrong, ignore them, and maybe they’ll go away.
If that’s all this hypothetical someone was saying and their only point, sure. I’ll go for that. Pretty stupid if that’s someones only problem with a movie.

On this particular movie there’s a lot wrong with it as a remake. The plot didn’t flow as well as the original, the characters didn’t pull me in as well, the big moments didn’t land as well, Iago wasn’t done as well, while Will Smith sure tried his Genie wasn’t done as well, Jafar wasn’t as menacing of a villain, there’s useless additions to the plot for no damn reason, and so on.

As a remake the one rule for it being a success is if it legitimately improves upon the original work. Since it doesn’t do that, 0/10. Thankfully though since it’s a remake and not a sequel it can be easily ignored in favor of the original work. Speaking of sequels, I’d rather watch the Aladdin sequels than the remake. Especially King of Thieves.

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

If that’s all this hypothetical someone was saying and their only point, sure. I’ll go for that. Pretty stupid if that’s someones only problem with a movie.

On this particular movie there’s a lot wrong with it as a remake. The plot didn’t flow as well as the original, the characters didn’t pull me in as well, the big moments didn’t land as well, Iago wasn’t done as well, while Will Smith sure tried his Genie wasn’t done as well, Jafar wasn’t as menacing of a villain, there’s useless additions to the plot for no damn reason, and so on.

As a remake the one rule for it being a success is if it legitimately improves upon the original work. Since it doesn’t do that, 0/10. Thankfully though since it’s a remake and not a sequel it can be easily ignored in favor of the original work. Speaking of sequels, I’d rather watch the Aladdin sequels than the remake. Especially King of Thieves.
I wasn’t a big fan of the film either. It was the definition of going through the motions.

I don’t mind the fact that the film had more ambition for one of its lead than the original. It worked fine.

Mike S

I wasn’t a big fan of the film either. It was the definition of going through the motions.

I don’t mind the fact that the film had more ambition for one of its lead than the original. It worked fine.
It really just felt like it came out of nowhere. Why would they suddenly be wanting power when that was never a defining character trait? In fact, in the original it was debated that they wanted to give up whatever power they already had!!!

I think that way worked much better. Really showed how much they wanted to free themselves from their struggle.

As an aside I’m wondering if my vagueness here is even worth it. Does anyone care about spoilers?

Tony Perkis

It really just felt like it came out of nowhere. Why would they suddenly be wanting power when that was never a defining character trait? In fact, in the original it was debated that they wanted to give up whatever power they already had!!!

I think that way worked much better. Really showed how much they wanted to free themselves from their struggle.

As an aside I’m wondering if my vagueness here is even worth it. Does anyone care about spoilers?
I view these films as separate entities, so Jasmine having more ambition than the character of the original film was a fine. A shrug moment more or less.

They never capitalized on it, but I was fine with the fact it was there.

Last edited:

Tick Tock

Saw it tonight. A few thoughts with it being fresh on my mind. I liked it, didn't love it. It's not one I could probably sit through again, but I'm glad I saw it. (Hopefully that makes sense). That's pretty much all I can say without diving into spoiler territory.

And now for my spoiler thoughts. The good, the bad, the ugly, etc...
The Good: What Worked Well (IMO, and In no particular order)

1. The Genie's 'Happily Ever After'
It was a nice plus throwing in the family factor for Genie at the end. It was much more satisfying and fulfilling for the character's conclusion, rather than simply: "I'm off to see the world." It was a nice touch that didn't need to be added, but I was glad it was.

2. The Sultan
This was one thing the remake does far better than the animated classic... it gives us a believable Sultan. While the animated version does A LOT right, one thing it missed the mark on was the Sultan. That giggly buffoon of a character wouldn't be in charge of a convenience store, let alone an entire kingdom. This film rectified that wrong, and gave us a character who comes across as a leader, and a legitimately believable one at that. My only complaint on this version is that he probably could've used a tad more screen time. But still, it worked.

3. Jafar and Aladdin's Earlier Encounters
I've always liked this addition ever since it was revealed in the first trailers, that Jafar would "befriend" Aladdin and take him to the Cave Of Wonders himself, rather than being disguised as the old hermit. It made a lot more sense than playing dress-up, using the "I've got a bad back" fib, and so on. This new method connected our main protagonist and antagonist nicely. I also like the reference to Jafar once being a common thief too like Aladdin.

4. The Casting
I thought all the actors did well. There was no way possible to bring the energy of the animated leads to life in a live-action version, but this film did as good as it could in that regard.

What Did Not Work Well (IMO)

1. The Pacing
It just seemed off at times. If felt like they hammered in the: "Be Yourself" lesson and monologues a little too drawn-out, and quickly rushed through other themes which could have used more time. I dunno. It's hard to pinpoint all the details, but many times the cup felt half-empty.

2. The Cave Of Wonders Interior
While I thought the exterior of the cave was better than the animated version's random head that pops outta the sand... the interior felt a lot more lifeless and less wondrous than the animated one.

3. Aladdin's Reaction When He First Sees A Magic Carpet
While I thought the lead actor overall did a solid job, that one moment sorta took me out of it briefly. He could've upped the shock factor and made his surprise of witnessing a carpet move seem a little more believable. Maybe it's just me, but that moment seemed to fall flat.

4. Replacing Jafar As A Giant Snake With Super-Iago
When I first saw in the trailers that there would be a scene with a giant-sized Iago chasing Aladdin across rooftops, I thought that would be a really nice plus; a fun action sequence we never got in the original. Little did I know it would come at the expense of losing Jafar turn into a giant snake as part of the climactic battle. While the Super-Iago chase was fun and well executed, I was letdown at what we lost in favor of it.

5. The 'A Whole New World' Scene
Don't get me wrong. It wasn't bad by any means. It just seemed to not pack a punch the way the original did. While on paper, it makes more sense logically to have the couple soar around Agrabah's perimeter and surrounding coastline, rather than unbelievably transport to places like China and the Great Pyramids as seen in the original. Though somehow it seemed to take a lot out of it. I dunno, maybe I need to re-watch that part, but it didn't have the pizzazz of the classic scene we all know.

Last edited:

Tick Tock

And now time to update my Disney Live-Action Remake scorecard. (Had to create a new category for Aladdin),

Great
The Jungle Book

Good
Dumbo
Cinderella

Lot's 'O Flaws, But Overall Good(ish)
Aladdin

Eh...
101 Dalmatians (Though Glenn Close's performance was SOLID gold.)
Beauty And The Beast

Poor
Maleficent
Alice In Wonderland
Pete's Dragon

Mike S

The Good: What Worked Well (IMO, and In no particular order)

1. The Genie's 'Happily Ever After'
It was a nice plus throwing in the family factor for Genie at the end. It was much more satisfying and fulfilling for the character's conclusion, rather than simply: "I'm off to see the world." It was a nice touch that didn't need to be added, but I was glad it was.
It was funny but I never thought an all powerful cosmic being like him would fall for a mortal. Also I much prefer the salesman in the original as Genie’s narrator persona. The way it flowed into Jafar first going to the Cave of Wonders was far superior as well.

2. The Sultan
This was one thing the remake does far better than the animated classic... it gives us a believable Sultan. While the animated version does A LOT right, one thing it missed the mark on was the Sultan. That giggly buffoon of a character wouldn't be in charge of a convenience store, let alone an entire kingdom. This film rectified that wrong, and gave us a character who comes across as a leader, and a legitimately believable one at that. My only complaint on this version is that he probably could've used a tad more screen time. But still, it worked.
You see a more believable leader, I see a much less loveable and much less fun stick in the mud.

3. Jafar and Aladdin's Earlier Encounters
I've always liked this addition ever since it was revealed in the first trailers, that Jafar would "befriend" Aladdin and take him to the Cave Of Wonders himself, rather than being disguised as the old hermit. It made a lot more sense than playing dress-up, using the "I've got a bad back" fib, and so on. This new method connected our main protagonist and antagonist nicely. I also like the reference to Jafar once being a common thief too like Aladdin.
It could’ve been interesting if Jafar was still an interesting villain. Plus how he stole the lamp robs us of the great scene of Iago stealing the lamp and impersonating Jafar giving himself compliments.

4. The Casting
I thought all the actors did well. There was no way possible to bring the energy of the animated leads to life in a live-action version, but this film did as good as it could in that regard.
Indeed they couldn’t. Maybe they should’ve used the budget to make something original instead of a remake of Aladdin that ended up bland in comparison.

What Did Not Work Well (IMO)
1. The Pacing
It just seemed off at times. If felt like they hammered in the: "Be Yourself" lesson and monologues a little too drawn-out, and quickly rushed through other themes which could have used more time. I dunno. It's hard to pinpoint all the details, but many times the cup felt half-empty.
Completely agree.

2. The Cave Of Wonders Interior
While I thought the exterior of the cave was better than the animated version's random head that pops outta the sand... the interior felt a lot more lifeless and less wondrous than the animated one.
Half agree. The head that pops out of the sand and the way to make it appear added to the amazing mystery and magic of the Cave of Wonders. The interior was indeed lifeless and also a lot smaller. In the cartoon there were vast caverns. In the remake the Lamp is just one room away from the entrance. Also in the cartoon, they make a point of the fact they couldn’t touch any of the treasure. It just so happened that the treasure Abu touched was a huge jewel. In the remake they’re climbing all over and touching gold but it seems only the jewels couldn’t be touched. Also, Jafar was absolutely neutered in the remade version of this scene.

3. Aladdin's Reaction When He First Sees A Magic Carpet
While I thought the lead actor overall did a solid job, that one moment sorta took me out of it briefly. He could've upped the shock factor and made his surprise of witnessing a carpet move seem a little more believable. Maybe it's just me, but that moment seemed to fall flat.
Agree.

4. Replacing Jafar As A Giant Snake With Super-Iago
When I first saw in the trailers that there would be a scene with a giant-sized Iago chasing Aladdin across rooftops, I thought that would be a really nice plus; a fun action sequence we never got in the original. Little did I know it would come at the expense of losing Jafar turn into a giant snake as part of the climactic battle. While the Super-Iago chase was fun and well executed, I was letdown at what we lost in favor of it.
Agree. Let me also add outright ruining Iago. I don’t care if it’s more realistic. We’re talking about a movie that has a Genie and a Magic Carpet.

5. The 'A Whole New World' Scene
Don't get me wrong. It wasn't bad by any means. It just seemed to not pack a punch the way the original did. While on paper, it makes more sense logically to have the couple soar around Agrabah's perimeter and surrounding coastline, rather than unbelievably transport to places like China and the Great Pyramids as seen in the original... somehow it seemed to take a lot out of it though. I dunno, maybe I need to re-watch that part, but it didn't have the pizzazz of the classic scene we all know.
Agree.

Also no screeching bird.

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

And now time to update my Disney Live-Action Remake scorecard. (Had to create a new category for Aladdin),

Great
The Jungle Book

Good
Dumbo
Cinderella

Lot's 'O Flaws, But Overall Good(ish)
Aladdin

Eh...
101 Dalmatians (Though Glenn Close's performance was SOLID gold.)
Beauty And The Beast

Poor
Maleficent
Alice In Wonderland
Pete's Dragon
I actually like Pete’s Dragon the best. It was the one live action remake that was substantially different that the original film and justified its existence:

Tony Perkis

It was funny but I never thought an all powerful cosmic being like him would fall for a mortal.

You see a more believable leader, I see a much less loveable and much less fun stick in the mud.

It could’ve been interesting if Jafar was still an interesting villain. Plus how he stole the lamp robs us of the great scene of Iago stealing the lamp and impersonating Jafar giving himself compliments.

Indeed they couldn’t. Maybe they should’ve used the budget to make something original instead of a remake of Aladdin that ended up bland in comparison.

Completely agree.

Half agree. The head that pops out of the sand and the way to make it appear added to the amazing mystery and magic of the Cave of Wonders. The interior was indeed lifeless and also a lot smaller. In the cartoon there were vast caverns. In the remake the Lamp is just one room away from the entrance. Also in the cartoon, they make a point of the fact they couldn’t touch any of the treasure. It just so happened that the treasure Abu touched was a huge jewel. In the remake they’re climbing all over and touching gold but it seems only the jewels couldn’t be touched. Also, Jafar was absolutely neutered in the remade version of this scene.

Agree.

Agree. Let me also add outright ruining Iago. I don’t care if it’s more realistic. We’re talking about a movie that has a Genie and a Magic Carpet.

Agree.

Also no screeching bird.
I was wrong about her title, but I was correct thinking the handmaiden was the best part of the film.

I’ll die on this hill.

Tick Tock

I actually like Pete’s Dragon the best. It was the one live action remake that was substantially different that the original film and justified its existence:
If I could learn to appreciate it for what it is, rather than constantly compare it to the musical, I probably wouldn't dislike it as much.

Tony Perkis

If I could learn to appreciate it for what it is, rather than constantly compare it to the musical, I probably wouldn't dislike it as much.
I don’t disagree with this comparison.

I will say that I have no nostalgia for the original film. It’s solid and obviously well made; but it’s a product of its time. The new film told a vastly different story for a different generation, and that’s why I appreciate the ambition of the original film.

Last edited:

Mike S

I was wrong about her title, but I was correct thinking the handmaiden was the best part of the film.

I’ll die on this hill.
After robbing us of some of the original comic relief there indeed was an empty slot to fill. She served her purpose well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom