• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Al Lutz Returns - Update: Page 18 Drama

Mac Tonight

Lol. Founder and creator of MiceAge/MiceChat, one of the best insider blogs during the DCA 1.0 days. Unfortunately he has been struggling with Parkinson's so hasn't posted for many years. Definitely more to the story, but hopefully that's a good primer :)
Thanks! I didn't know if he was somehow tied into the company directly like an ex-exec or something.

Phrubruh

Just think; WDW fans are about to receive all this joy, but *they* get it with extra heat and humidity added in. And when they get bored and leave GE, they're not in Disneyland.
However, I think most of them THINK they just take the monorail to Disneyland.

Wendy Pleakley

Lol. Founder and creator of MiceAge/MiceChat, one of the best insider blogs during the DCA 1.0 days. Unfortunately he has been struggling with Parkinson's so hasn't posted for many years. Definitely more to the story, but hopefully that's a good primer :)
Before MiceAge he was a regular writer on MousePlanet. He was active on internet bulletin boards before that as well I believe.

He was really one of the first to bring public light to Disneyland starting to lose it's way back in the day. Not just the DCA debacle, but a general lack of upkeep and maintenance at the original park, particularly during the Paul Pressler era.

He'd report on backstage details through inside sources, from things like cast member cafeteria conditions to inside workings at TDA.

britain

Before MiceAge he was a regular writer on MousePlanet. He was active on internet bulletin boards before that as well I believe.

He was really one of the first to bring public light to Disneyland starting to lose it's way back in the day. Not just the DCA debacle, but a general lack of upkeep and maintenance at the original park, particularly during the Paul Pressler era.

He'd report on backstage details through inside sources, from things like cast member cafeteria conditions to inside workings at TDA.
Along with the rise of the internet, he became the face of how fan discontent wouldn't be simply swept under a rug by Disney PR. And this was pre-social media!

Indirectly, thanks to him Disney now tries to curry favor of bloggers instead of just ignoring them.

Last edited:

BubbaQuest

Well the lagoon could be on the chopping block and TRON sounds like the most likely candidate for the new E ticket so...

Think about it this way if not TRON, Star Wars or Marvel what new E ticket are they giving us in TL. The heavy odds are that it’s TRON.
I really hope this isn't true. I'm sure it is, and as a Tron geek I would love to ride a Tron coaster, but please please please leave it at Epcot. I want something unique in DL.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
I really hope this isn't true. I'm sure it is, and as a Tron geek I would love to ride a Tron coaster, but please please please leave it at Epcot. I want something unique in DL.
I mean, Tron isn't even going to be in Epcot... so it's already precedented for Castle parks.

mickEblu

Same here. Don’t really care for the movie and have never seen the original. But I love the aesthetics and it looks really fun. I like how it’s a simple coaster just relying on music and visuals. Seems very repeatable. I just don’t think it works in our Tomorrowland. As someone who lives an hour from DL I honestly don’t care that it wouldn’t be unique to DL. When you have a home park nearby and don’t travel to the other Disney parks often (or at all) that’s not really an issue as you would rather just have the best/ most fun rides at your park... so long as they don’t stick out like sore thumb like I imagine TRON would at TL.

Plus it would be hypocritical of me to say I want unique rides at DL when I’d give my left nut (not right) to get TOT back.

D.Silentu

A minor criticism of Galaxy's Edge I have heard is that it is generally out of scale with Disneyland's archetecture. The Tron coaster appears huge in photos and while Galaxy's Edge is by itself I can only imagine the incongruence of Tron sitting in Tomorrowland, towering over Space Mountain. I enjoy the Tron movies, but for these reasons and as a matter of opinion I would rather something else be built in Tomorrowland.

RobWDW1971

Plus it would be hypocritical of me to say I want unique rides at DL when I’d give my left nut (not right) to get TOT back.
Key body parts would only be exchanged if it was WDW's real TOT and not DCA's inferior knockoff with the ridiculous elevator doors that open to....a hallway! Because that's how elevators work, WDI! Add to that the lack of breaking through the 4th wall and the elevator moving out of its shaft, which was the entire reason the ride was "magical" and not just a carny drop ride in the first place.

It's sad when someone creates a brilliant idea and then the dumb kid looks over their shoulder and "kind of" copies it.

In the brilliant original, doors open and an elevator awaits you, you walk into the elevator, it goes up like an elevator, and then after a dramatic pause, WHAT?! We're moving forward, WTH?, and then it goes into the Twilight Zone portal and magic happens.

In DCA's version, it's "special" little cousin, the doors open to a hallway (uh, what?), you cross the hallway and get into a car (which is obviously not an elevator), then it pulls backwards (What? I thought this was an elevator?) and then goes up and down.

Not quite the same experience. The fact that WDI leadership said "Eh, close enough, the stupid guests won't notice because it still goes up and down!" is all you need to know about the current state of that organization.

I actually like GOTG version better - I can just have fun and not have to compare it to the original - and I liked to have disembodied voices scream at me repeatedly to raise my hands for scanning. And we get the hideous exterior as a standing monument to WDI's lack of creative vision and design ability for all to see (from both parks).

Last edited:

RescueTheDay

A minor criticism of Galaxy's Edge I have heard is that it is generally out of scale with Disneyland's archetecture. The Tron coaster appears huge in photos and while Galaxy's Edge is by itself I can only imagine the incongruence of Tron sitting in Tomorrowland, towering over Space Mountain. I enjoy the Tron movies, but for these reasons and as a matter of opinion I would rather something else be built in Tomorrowland.
It’s not as huge as one thinks. It’s height is similar to Space Mountain and, if done properly, it could probably blend in well in that back area. That being said, I’d prefer not having two coasters side by side.

TROR

Key body parts would only be exchanged if it was WDW's real TOT and not DCA's inferior knockoff with the ridiculous elevator doors that open to....a hallway! Because that's how elevators work, WDI! Add to that the lack of breaking through the 4th wall and the elevator moving out of its shaft, which was the entire reason the ride was "magical" and not just a carny drop ride in the first place.

It's sad when someone creates a brilliant idea and then the dumb kid looks over their shoulder and "kind of" copies it.

In the brilliant original, doors open and an elevator awaits you, you walk into the elevator, it goes up like an elevator, and then after a dramatic pause, WHAT?! We're moving forward, WTH?, and then it goes into the Twilight Zone portal and magic happens.

In DCA's version, it's "special" little cousin, the doors open to a hallway (uh, what?), you cross the hallway and get into a car (which is obviously not an elevator), then it pulls backwards (What? I thought this was an elevator?) and then goes up and down.

Not quite the same experience. The fact that WDI leadership said "Eh, close enough, the stupid guests won't notice because it still goes up and down!" is all you need to know about the current state of that organization.
DCA's was better.

mickEblu

I actually like GOTG version better - I can just have fun and not have to compare it to the original - and I liked to have disembodied voices scream at me repeatedly to raise my hands for scanning.
Hahah @ key body parts. Ok then maybe my pinky or something for even the inferior DCA one. No matter how you look at it, it’s 100x better than what’s there now.

Also I haven’t been on the WDW version so there’s that.

Nothsa

I actually like GOTG version better - I can just have fun and not have to compare it to the original - and I liked to have disembodied voices scream at me repeatedly to raise my hands for scanning. And we get the hideous exterior as a standing monument to WDI's lack of creative vision and design ability for all to see (from both parks).
Is everything ok at home?

Top Bottom