• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Al Lutz Returns - Update: Page 18 Drama

SoCalMort

Advertisement
Excuse me, didn't know where else to post this, but what time is the 9 o'clock parade?

BrianLo

@photomatt

Al Lutz was "ghost written" on and off from 2013 to the eventual slow columns demise in 2017. I think the confusion comes in that it wasn't really ghost writing. MiceChat, Dusty and Al were VERY open he was no longer writing the updates. I literally take no fault on that happening, again everyone was on the level and there was nothing wrong.

What the article does is retroactively claim it was going on longer than MiceChat told us. Which I acknowledge and - benefit of the doubt - think is confusing you so much.

The last officially penned (outside of a few April column articles) was a February 2013 update. Al Lutz actually continued to appear in another MiceAge podcast one more time after that (which is frankly about all we need to know to close the case that Al wasn't off dead somewhere and had no control over his column since 2005)....

Unless Troy Porter was also masquerading as Al for MiceChat Meet and Greets and did a fantastic voice impression. I joke.

I don't care about any of that though...

After his last podcast appearance, on one of the daily news banners MiceChat used to run, they announced Al was taking a leave for health reasons. This was Spring 2013, I don't have a transcript of these daily banners, perhaps you all do.

The next MiceAge update actually not typed out by Al, was April 2013

You'll notice Dusty removed the "Al Lutz" from the banners moving forward and started calling them MiceAge updates.

Al signed off on the April 2013 update:

I’d really like to thank the MiceAge Crew for stepping in to help keep these updates coming. I assure you that you are in great hands with the team and I couldn’t be prouder of what we’ve accomplished these past 10 years and what Dusty and team have planned for you in the next 10. Your support is what keeps us going and we are sincerely thankful. – AL
The rest of the article wasn't written by him.

Dusty even acknowledged the full situation (again on the level):

Al mentioned at the bottom that this report was pulled together by the MiceAge crew. Al is unable to write these updates alone due to chronic health issues. He has requested that the articles be published under the “MiceAge” name so all the folks who contribute are recognized and so these updates can continue regardless of his health. He hopes to continue contributing for a long time, but if that is not possible, his legacy will continue with these MiceAge updates. We are so thankful that we were able to award him his honorary window in February, and that he was able to attend the ceremony."

Al is still very much involved with MiceChat and MiceAge, and has been working with members of the staff getting out his updates when he has information to share. While we appreciate the interest, please know that Al is working behind the scenes as always, he just has other members of the team doing some of the "manual labor" for him. He will continue to provide the community with updates and insight as his time and energy allow. If there is more information to be shared, you guys will be the first to know. Until then, please respect Al's privacy and the team will continue to keep you informed as to any news in the resort.

Thank you everyone for understanding.

From then on most of the updates did not actually contain any missive from Al, when they do (like a couple April's fools articles) he would sign his name "-AL" like he always did.

In fact Dusty did a perfectly credible job on the articles photos by highlighting which were "Al articles" and which were solely the MiceAge team.

The main exception (other than there essentially being no columns from 2017-2019) was that the most recent column again had a note from Al under the section appropriately called "A Note from the Real Al Lutz"

---------------

So Again, who was the MiceAge Team during the 2013-2017 run?

I'm not supporting the article, but I don't know why MiceChat (or you at least, maybe Dusty needs to just come speak for himself) blundered this so bad.

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

@photomatt

Al Lutz was "ghost written" on and off from 2013 to the eventual slow columns demise in 2017. I think the confusion comes in that it wasn't really ghost writing. MiceChat, Dusty and Al were VERY open he was no longer writing the updates. I literally take no fault on that happening, again everyone was on the level and there was nothing wrong.

What the article does is retroactively claim it was going on longer than MiceChat thought, which I acknowledge and (benefit of the doubt) think is what is confusing you so much.

The last officially penned (outside of a few April column articles) was a February 2013 update. Al Lutz actually continued to appear in another MiceAge podcast one more time after that (which is frankly about all we need to know to close the case that Al wasn't off dead somewhere and had no control over his column since 2005)....

Unless Troy Porter was also masquerading as Al for MiceChat Meet and Greets and did a fantastic voice impression. It's all pretty obvious the articles accusations falls apart.

I don't care about any of that though...

After his last podcast appearance, on one of the daily news banners MiceChat used to run, they announced Al was taking a leave for health reasons. This was Spring 2013, I don't have a transcript of these daily banners, perhaps you all do.

The next MiceAge update actually not typed out by Al, was April 2013

View attachment 399815

You'll notice Dusty removed the "Al Lutz" from the banners moving forward and started calling them MiceAge updates.

Al signed off on the April 2013 update:

The rest of the article wasn't written by him.

Dusty even acknowledged the full situation (again on the level):

From then on most of the updates did not actually contain any missive from Al, when they do (like a couple April's fools articles) he would sign his name "-AL" like he always did.

In fact Dusty did a perfectly credible job on the articles photos by highlighting which were "Al articles" and which were solely the MiceAge team.

View attachment 399817

The main exception (other than there essentially being no columns from 2017-2019) was that the most recent column again had a note from Al under the section appropriately called "A Note from the Real Al Lutz"

---------------

So Again, who was the MiceAge Team during the 2013-2017 run?

I'm not supporting the article, but I don't know why MiceChat (or you at least, maybe Dusty needs to just come speak for himself) blundered this so bad.
Good stuff, now...back to yellow snow.

hopemax

I'm a "Disney on the Internet" old timer, and I don't know what compelled me to look at posts on the DIS Rumors & News board, and then I spent a good part of the day trying to catch up while dealing with two family deaths/memorial services. It's been a day.

In Sept 1996, I visited Disneyland and when I came home my then fiance, now husband said, "So I found this Usenet group called alt.disney.disneyland..." And you can't exactly read ADD without finding out who Al Lutz was. Bummed around ADD, and RADP for a few years, and then when LaughingPlace.com started their forums, I was an original poster, which is where I first remember crossing regular posting paths with @TP2000, although I probably saw ADD posts too. Met the LaughingPlace people in person, several times. Was at a fan convention the day MousePlanet was launched, met several of those people too. Somehow Dave Koenig thought my Dad knew stuff, because my Mom was a Disney Store Assistant Manager, and so had some knowledge about the troubles the stores were having. Simultaneously, I got involved with the DIS Rumors & News board, and became acquainted with their resident "insider" who went by the name Another Voice until a dozen of us went to our own little board where we talked about a lot of stuff, while Another Voice regaled us with stories of the transition when Eisner came in. Met him twice, and things were good until the 2008 Presidential campaign where things really blew up for non-Disney reasons, and Another Voice took himself over to Progress City and eventually Twitter. I only bring AV up, because there was a lot of weirdness even within our small group of 12. There was another poster, who went on to publish a couple Disney books who was, I think, college friends with some mid-level WDW executive who seemed obsessed with finding out AV's real identity.

As someone who experienced the Disney fandom in the early 2000s, through SaveDisney, all of this is totally bizarre. It's strange to see people unaware of Al's impact. I attended the March 1999 Shareholder's meeting in Seattle. Disney was supposed to be promoting their big new Internet venture Go.com. Eisner was asked two questions about the internet during Q&A. A kid, who asked what fun things could you do on the Internet, which Eisner struggled to answer. It was then, I realized, Disney was going to have problems with the Internet because the CEO didn't understand it. The 2nd question, was someone who asked specifically about the maintenance problems at Disneyland. Eisner squirmed, visibly, and he finished his answer with "You spend too much time on the Internet." I dug into the bowels of the Internet and found my original report of the meeting https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.disney.parks/2KliGMnat_0/hLUBHLLhUlMJ to make sure my memory still jived with what I remembered (and hey, Al replied to me!). I had forgotten about Al's "Disney Blues" page but it was clear from Eisner's body language and his actual language, that without saying Al's name in the meeting, he knew all about Al Lutz and his criticisms. It would not surprise me in the least bit to learn that someone within Eisner's circle was tasked with following his updates. It would not surprise me to learn that there were discussions about what to do about someone like Al, as part of trying to navigate in a world with Internet, what should Disney do to exert influence on this part of the fandom. I lived through the Marcie era, but had forgotten about that too. There were other posters on the DIS, that it was also suspected were Disney plants, but nothing was ever proven. What steps Disney actually took

With our little group blown to smithereens, LP in decline, and Al Lutz stepping back, which we eventually learned was from his Parkinson's, I wasn't interested in post-Al MiceChat. I ended up coming here for a few years. Largely, because of the inside info that Spirit would share (certainly knew him from LP), as well as being a fan of @marni1971 's videos. I ended up recommending the LP.com Disneyland posters come over here, which apparently a lot of them did. I'm to the point now, where I feel like the battle for Disney's soul has been lost, so arguing with random strangers is pretty meaningless, and so many of the people that I did know have moved on. So I've been largely ignorant of the state of Disney Internet Fandom for the last 4 years or so. So again, I don't know why I checked today to see this.

It's such a blast from the past, it's hard to fathom the motivations. The only thing that comes to mind beyond all the "Bad breakup" drama is that by destroying the reputation of Al Lutz, that they are trying to pre-emptively destroy anyone who might rise up within the fandom to be critical of Disney in the way Al was. To sew distrust within the fandom (which, honestly, a lot of the personalities generate all on their own). To bring @TP2000 into this is either a horrible case of mistaken identity, or a way to make people question the legitimacy of even normal, critical, well-spoken posters. I'm glad to read that @TP2000 is not a Disney plant and ghostwriter. Because otherwise I would have to start questioning the last 24 years of my posts. I have to agree with another old-timer, that I'm actually upset that my name didn't get attached to this thing, because I've been around the whole, dang, time, until recently.

This has gotten long and rambling, and has no real point to it, other than trying to work out a few thoughts in my own brain. (With a little bit of Simple Minds playing in the background). As an old-timer, I sort of feel like I should say something, even though it's basically nothing but, "I know Al and @TP2000 's posts from back in the day."

Curious Constance

I was about to go back into Disney hibernation. My interest in all things Disney, while temporarily sparked at various times, seems to be seriously declining the last year or two. I’ll always fondly think of Disneyland, but when I only go every few years, and their insistence of turning everything into IP LAND, I just can’t muster the enthusiasm regularly anymore. Was someone hired to reel me back in!?

Top Bottom