• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Al Lutz Returns - Update: Page 18 Drama

TROR

Well the lagoon could be on the chopping block and TRON sounds like the most likely candidate for the new E ticket so...

Think about it this way if not TRON, Star Wars or Marvel what new E ticket are they giving us in TL. The heavy odds are that it’s TRON.
John Carter of Mars.
As far as attractions I agree, the lagoon, Space and Monorail are all I care about. I’m more worried about all the others things I’ve listed. Oh ya, Keeping Autopia but Making it a thrill ride on elevated tracks would be great but it’s probably not happening.
Like some sort of, hot rods? With some sort of, rocket speeds? Some sort, Rocket Rods?

mickEblu

Advertisement
John Carter of Mars.

Like some sort of, hot rods? With some sort of, rocket speeds? Some sort, Rocket Rods?
Lol ya except they be different cars and we get to keep Autopia even if mostly in name only. It could be cool if they start down on ground level then kind of take off once they up to the elevated tracks. Weaving through the trees if possible and TL proper would make for a fun ride. I would say going through all the new TL buildings too but I don’t think WDI knows how or wants to layer attractions anymore.

Biggest thing is we don’t need TRON to be the new E ticket. Autopia can do that and not look completely out of scale and fit in with TL. And you kind of sort of preserve some DL history. Maybe add some augmented reality if their are any indoor show scenes. Of course some self driving tech would be awesome but now we re getting crazy.

TP2000

Somehow I have now become recognized as one of the more negative posters here. Funny being that my first post here about 5 years ago was me asking @George Lucas on a Bench (endorsightseer) what he DID like about the parks because he was so negative all the time.
Don't worry, a bit of online negativity mixed with salt-and-pepper grey at the temples is distinguished. Ladies love it.

Just look at Dean Martin in the movie Airport, as but one example of millions. He still got Jacqueline Bisset, the First Class Stewardess.

dennis-in-ct

nothing new, same with pandora...
over-promised interactivity - everybody even has a chip lol and it still didn't come together

pie-in-the-sky ideas, if we're frank - filling people with notions they'll have a unique experience along with thousands of their closest friends... heh even if it was, it wasn't - and that gets expensive!

so, is there a way to truly deliver on some of that promise? re-coup some of that trial and error?
perhaps a more initmate encounter, ideally behind a paywall... 🤔
I think all this will be found at WDW’s Star Wars Hotel.

dennis-in-ct

Sure. But where was the scum and villainy? :confused:

I was there for three hours and I saw two (2!) Stormtroopers wandering around, a few stressed out Cantina hostesses glaring at anyone who dared to approach their hostess stand, and about 150 bored CM's just staring into the middle distance and ignoring any park visitor or talking amongst themselves about how scheduling sucks for making them work July 4th and how crazy Katie's party was last weekend.

I saw plenty of artfully distressed walls and expertly rusted pipes, lots of carefully curated displays of static props. The drinking fountains were impressively designed! The uniforms the CM's wore were gorgeous! The land was aesthetically impressive and obviously well designed to handle huge crowds of people.

But scum and villainy? I've encountered more scum and villainy at the 24 hour auto parts store on the other side of the freeway than I did at Star Wars Land. No scum, no villainy, no personality of any kind really, just lots of static displays and quiet vignettes.

I spoke with a friend of mine here in Connecticut who visited DL and Star Wars land who basically said “something is missing”.

He went on to say the land was gorgeous, the cantina (which was extremely well themed he said) experience cost 50 bucks (and felt he never needs to experience it again for another 50 bucks), the “shaky box” ride was good but after that ... ehhhhhh ....

I explained the big ride was not open yet.

He went on to say the price points for the light saber and cube thing (he actually is a fan of the animated series and all the movies and knew what all these things were - more so than me) were too expensive for what they were. If the cube sold for 25.00-ish, he said he would buy one to sit on his desk.

His main comment was the lack of “things going on” (kinetic movement) in the land. Going on to say there was a really cool ship on display which rumbled and made some sounds but wished it perhaps lifted up a bit with smoke as if it was about to take off or land.

He and I had this conversation cause he knew I am going to DL for a visit this coming November.

Now, after reading the article by Al Lutz, I can better understand the “something” that is missing - the “life” in the land in the form of shows etc. in WDW, my grandson was just under the age to participate in Jedi Training and he was over the moon. I assume this land is where the Jedi Training will exist. That type of entertainment needs to live in Galaxy Edge to give the land “life”.

Welcome back Al. I hope you are well. Met you once three months after DCA opened and had a nice conversation at the “meet”. I also met TP2000 on another visit fan meet up. *waves* to TP2000

Last edited:

bryanfze55

Waste of space
Great
Cheap
Classic
Classic with silly overlay
Iconic
Classic but needs overhaul

I kind of miss TL ‘98. It was a garbage paint job but it at least had something on the Peoplemover tracks and HISTA wasn’t too bad. Even Innoventions was worth checking out if only for the really cool Tom Morrow AA.
These are all your opinion. The fact is, none of the seven rides in TL are flat out embarrassing. It’s a high capacity land with something for everyone. I’ll take TL as is rather than ripping out multiple classic rides for the bleak and charmless Tron Coaster. I think the American Tomorrowlands are underrated, rotting PeopleMover tracks aside. I don’t want Shanghai’s Tomorrowland. The hyper futuristic stuff just feels cold and dystopian to me. I enjoy feeling like I’m stepping back in time a few decades and seeing the future from that angle.

Astro Orbiter - Yeah, waste of space in its current location. But the concept is fine for a spinner. It’s for kids.

Buzz - It’s cheap? I don’t even know what that means. It’s a shooter ride for the family. I wouldn’t call it great but it isn’t bad. Have you ever been to WDW? Buzz at DL is much better and a tolerable ride.

Autopia - Again, it’s pretty much for kids. While I agree electric cars would be better, the redesign helped this ride a lot. It’s so much better than Tomorrowland Speedway at WDW. It’s actually scenic, full of greenery and has stuff to look at. Tomorrowland Speedway is just concrete. As far as these rides go, Autopia is the best.

Nemo - Opinion on the theme aside, the ride is not “bad.” It’s nice that there’s a Disney park that still has the submarines, and the lagoon adds a lot of kinetic energy to TL plus still looks beautiful against the backdrop of the Matterhorn.

Last edited:

SteamboatJoe

Is this Galaxy Edge thing so bad that it could cause heads to roll in Burbank, TDA, TDO, and/or WDI? The DHS opening should go smoother which may soften the blow a but but there are signs that fall/winter 2019 bookings at WDW are not where they'd like them to be.

Rich T

...have you seen a Star Wars movie? You’re talking about a galaxy that’s been in a perpetual state of war and political upheaval for what, 50 years?

Star Wars is about wretched hives of scum and villainy, not sunshine and rainbows.
Your description of SW is a perfect argument for why GE has turned out disappointing for many and why it has no place in DL in its current state. Harry Potter is even darker and grosser than SW at its dreariest, but HP has warm, likeable “home” locations that people actually want to visit. Universal wisely put the darkness on the rides where it belongs. SW does not fit the Hogsmeade template Disney attempted to copy.

Don’t simplify this into a choice between designing a land as either “hive of scum” or “sunshine snd rainbows”. Disneyland’s been showing the world how to fold themes of death, villainy and trips to hell inside of warm, welcoming, beautiful park environments since 1955.

Again, most DL guests don’t go to DL to hang out in a dreary land that looks like it was designed to be a LARP-fest for SW fanboys.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Don't worry, a bit of online negativity mixed with salt-and-pepper grey at the temples is distinguished. Ladies love it.

Just look at Dean Martin in the movie Airport, as but one example of millions. He still got Jacqueline Bisset, the First Class Stewardess.

Hahah how did you know about my salt and pepper? The salt started kicking in slowly at 16 years old. I’m about 50/50 now.

Last edited:

mickEblu

It’s interesting that the last bit
of the TL 98 color scheme are in the very front entrance of the land.

Rich T

Isn't this the same argument as "a nondescript roller coaster set in India?"
That's one ride. GE is a huge chunk of the world's most famous and beloved theme park. It's a huge chunk that currently looks like a dump.
(EDIT)
Note that I have no problem whatsoever with a section of WDW's Hollywood Studios looking like a dump. :D But this is many-generations-old-and-loved DL the Imagineers have crudded up.

Rich T

It's all relative. TL 98 was trash but it had more going for it than today.
Hmmm. Well, it did have Rocket Rods and a *functioning* ugly centerpiece sculpture. But Space Mtn. wasn't as good, Innoventions was boring, and the stupid fountain maze sounded and smelled like a public swimming pool.

We lost Rocket Rods and gained a near-pefect Space Mountain and Buzz, which is a fun C-ticket. But we also got stuck with the embarrassing rotting PM tracks.

'98 wins.

Phrubruh

Hmmm. Well, it did have Rocket Rods and a *functioning* ugly centerpiece sculpture. But Space Mtn. wasn't as good, Innoventions was boring, and the stupid fountain maze sounded and smelled like a public swimming pool.

We lost Rocket Rods and gained a near-pefect Space Mountain and Buzz, which is a fun C-ticket. But we also got stuck with the embarrassing rotting PM tracks.

'98 wins.
The only way we are getting rid of the PM tracks is if a piece fell on guests.

RobWDW1971

The only way we are getting rid of the PM tracks is if a piece fell on guests.
Yikes. Sad, but true. I'm hoping in a strange way the Peoplemover tracks are an impetus for the full tear down and rebuild as they are integrated throughout the land (which is what made them so cool). Autopia/Subs/America Sings is such an enormous waste of real estate it is criminal.

Minnesota disney fan

Oh my gosh you guys. Star Wars Land brought Al Lutz back for an article.
Wow, I just read the article, and all the amazing things that were to be put in place in SWGE! I wondered what happened to the "interactive hotel concept with the interaction following you out into the SW area". I bet that is put on hold too.
It's a shame that the powers that be pulled such amazing innovations from the SWGE, in the name of cost cutting and money (of course).
I'm not a big SW fan, but if they had included the original movies and characters, and kept all the interactive stuff, even I would make it a point to go to SW. Now? Nope. Not interested.

Top Bottom