• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Al Lutz Returns - Update: Page 18 Drama

Kram Sacul

Those are experiences, not locations. I'm not saying you can't have dark and scary on a ride, but an entire land shouldn't be dark and scary. In rides, the dark and the scary get defeated. In lands, the dark and scary rule eternally. There's no victory over evil in a land like there is on a ride.
Why do you think GE is dark and scary? I actually think it’s kind of warm and fuzzy. The only danger is your wallet being emptied.

bryanfze55

Advertisement
Baloney. There is a huge mountain with a killer monster with teeth. A mountain range with a runaway train that wants to derail it any moment. A haunted mansion full of dead people. A cursed temple that houses thousands of skulls. Then there is Tomorrowland which is as depressing as you can get.
I like Tomorrowland. It has seven rides that run the gauntlet from tolerable to terrific. No other lands in any Disney park can say that, except for Fantasylands which tend to have more rides. The PeopleMover tracks are an eyesore, but they're quite easy to ignore (I didn't even notice them my first visit to Disneyland).

smile

It’s true. All of it. The droids, the entertainment, the interactivity...
to degrees... it's also consistently expensive and operationally exhausting to maintain on such a scale
- yet it's impossible to miss the vast array of ways to maximize profit at every opportunity to an almost gratuitous degree in which to offset such excess

i consider taking away one while keeping the other a bold move for the lands well-being, in addition to several other moves, small and large, whose results have yet to fully materialize; this is bigger than the ol chap
...imagine the khakis he'd be folding had he not made the cuts and still faced under-performance - entirely possible to some degree, especially without the rotr online... even if one considers the franchise 'healthy', which i do not.

That’s why I’m totally expecting the Mickey ride to be underwhelming series of projection rooms. The Epcot GOTG Ride might actually be good since we have so little info on it.
those are the black holes boxes - mmrr should be fun, kinetic, and new... tho i remain disappointed with the anim style
- don't currently have the energy(!) to address gotg or to make any connections with it and the avengers merry-go-round lol

LanceQ

Bingo. The land itself is still an incredible accomplishment even in it’s current state. Setting it on a different planet is not the problem. The timeline is not the problem. The color scheme is not the problem. The size of the Cantina is not the problem. The real problem is that outside of Rey, Chewie, and Kylo it’s missing a lot of the character interaction and droids that we all expected to be there. Heck, just bring the captain Phasma march show over. That alone would bring a lot of activity to some areas.
Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

LanceQ

Baloney. There is a huge mountain with a killer monster with teeth. A mountain range with a runaway train that wants to derail it any moment. A haunted mansion full of dead people. A cursed temple that houses thousands of skulls. Then there is Tomorrowland which is as depressing as you can get.
And most terrifying of all - Johnny Depp!

Nothsa

About this quote:

...really speaks to WDI mindset these days. Focus too much on plot, dialogue, "audience engagement," brand characters, unrealistic character action and flinging the audience about; and not enough on setting, mood, tone, aesthetics, layered staging and simple delight.

Dear WDI, let's try this approach (called the Sinbad Storybook approach, after the best ride Disney has made this millenium). (1) Make lots of pretty scenes, lots and lots of little pretty, clever little scenes. Like a hundred of them. (2) And then combine some of them together to form grand, glorious tableaus and leave others to be on their own. (3) And then as shove as many of these scenes into as short a trail path as possible. (4) Run a boat ride through it.

Done.

The artistry is in the individual little scenes and the way you put them together so that they get prettier and prettier and cleverer and cleverer as you go along. That's really it. It's not some stupid "I'm in danger" plot and something that takes an animatronic four minutes of non-stop blabbering to explain and I still don't understand it because I didn't watch the movie.
Stateside WDI is too concerned with building Disney Westworld to come up with just genuinely good attractions anymore.

Kram Sacul

I like Tomorrowland. It has seven rides that run the gauntlet from tolerable to terrific. No other lands in any Disney park can say that, except for Fantasylands which tend to have more rides. The PeopleMover tracks are an eyesore, but they're quite easy to ignore (I didn't even notice them my first visit to Disneyland).
7 rides? Does that count the Matterhorn now?I can only think of 2 1/2 that are worth waiting for.

TROR

Even though I don't trust Chapek on a Tomorrowland remodel, knowing they can't really use Marvel or Star Wars since they already have their own lands, and seeing the plans for Epcot's remodel, I think it's possible a Tomorrowland remodel could be nice. I just need to see concept art. I just don't want anything too ridiculous like the TRON coaster or a permanent Space Mountain overlay. If it's some dumb Wall•E ride replacing Buzz, that's not really a loss.

voodoo321

I doubt that you are serious but, if so, the difference you aren't grasping is tone.

mickEblu

Even though I don't trust Chapek on a Tomorrowland remodel, knowing they can't really use Marvel or Star Wars since they already have their own lands, and seeing the plans for Epcot's remodel, I think it's possible a Tomorrowland remodel could be nice. I just need to see concept art. I just don't want anything too ridiculous like the TRON coaster or a permanent Space Mountain overlay. If it's some dumb Wall•E ride replacing Buzz, that's not really a loss.
I’m also comforted by the fact that they can’t use Marvel or Star Wars but I’ve seen too much to trick myself (again) into thinking they re all of a sudden going to become the WED/WDI of old and do TL any justice and that Chapek won’t mess things up.

Kram Sacul

Astro Orbiter
Star Tours
Buzz Lightyear
Space Mountain
Subs
Monorail
Autopia
Waste of space
Great
Cheap
Classic
Classic with silly overlay
Iconic
Classic but needs overhaul

I kind of miss TL ‘98. It was a garbage paint job but it at least had something on the Peoplemover tracks and HISTA wasn’t too bad. Even Innoventions was worth checking out if only for the really cool Tom Morrow AA.

Sirwalterraleigh

Waste of space
Great
Cheap
Classic
Classic with silly overlay
Iconic
Classic but needs overhaul

I kind of miss TL ‘98. It was a garbage paint job but it at least had something on the Peoplemover tracks and HISTA wasn’t too bad. Even Innoventions was worth checking out if only for the really cool Tom Morrow AA.
I think you might be crazy here

TROR

didn't the article say a mid 2020's debut.... isn't that way too soon?
That's five to seven years from now. Galaxy's Edge was four years from announcement to completion.
I’m also comforted by the fact that they can’t use Marvel or Star Wars but I’ve seen too much to trick myself (again) into thinking they re all of a sudden going to become the WED/WDI of old and do TL any justice and that Chapek won’t mess things up.
I'm not saying it's going to be revolutionary and what I've been thirsting for, but there's just not much to lose in Tomorrowland to begin with. Other than the Monorail, Space Mountain, and the lagoon, there's nothing I'll be heartbroken over losing so long as it's not replaced by something completely stupid that doesn't belong (like the TRON Coaster).

ParkPeeker

That's five to seven years from now. Galaxy's Edge was four years from announcement to completion.

I'm not saying it's going to be revolutionary and what I've been thirsting for, but there's just not much to lose in Tomorrowland to begin with. Other than the Monorail, Space Mountain, and the lagoon, there's nothing I'll be heartbroken over losing so long as it's not replaced by something completely stupid that doesn't belong (like the TRON Coaster).
oh poopie I read that the wrong way

mickEblu

Well the lagoon could be on the chopping block and TRON sounds like the most likely candidate for the new E ticket so...

Think about it this way if not TRON, Star Wars or Marvel what new E ticket are they giving us in TL. The heavy odds are that it’s TRON.

As far as attractions I agree, the lagoon, Space and Monorail are all I care about. I’m more worried about all the others things I’ve listed. Oh ya, Keeping Autopia but Making it a thrill ride on elevated tracks would be great but it’s probably not happening.

Top Bottom