• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Al Lutz Returns - Update: Page 18 Drama

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
But a lot of people had an attachment to the CHARACTERS represented in the movies. Unfortunately, most of the good ones are now dead. And so the new Star Wars lands are dead. At least to me.
And I get that... but Star Wars really needs to move on from OT if it wants to have an actual life in the future. I’m unsure if it can or not. A lot of the fan base is severely toxic and wants it one way, which makes Star Wars for a casual fan like myself a lot less approachable.

All the extra stuff that was put out canon, then not canon, and this and that; way to water down the product Lucas and Lucas Film. It’s all too much for someone who enjoys the movies to understand.

Kram Sacul

Advertisement
I mean. The issues Al Lutz mentioned are mostly things everyone agrees on... it’s those that claim the land itself is a failure due to lack of OT... or known planet... or the incredible theming.

The fact is, if they bring in all the details that were cut, it will be incredible. Droids. Actors. Drones. Let’s go Disney!
Bingo. The land itself is still an incredible accomplishment even in it’s current state. Setting it on a different planet is not the problem. The timeline is not the problem. The color scheme is not the problem. The size of the Cantina is not the problem. The real problem is that outside of Rey, Chewie, and Kylo it’s missing a lot of the character interaction and droids that we all expected to be there. Heck, just bring the captain Phasma march show over. That alone would bring a lot of activity to some areas.

smile

the low capacity and overall complexity of the thrill ride was also something that left too many TDA suits underwhelmed with WDI’s proposals. WDI has gone back to the drawing board repeatedly on the Avengers E Ticket, but they seem unable to break out of the mold of low capacity and over-complicated rides for their biggest E Ticket concepts, of which Rise of the Resistance is only the latest example.

effing gold

...really speaks to WDI mindset these days. Focus too much on plot, dialogue, "audience engagement," brand characters, unrealistic character action and flinging the audience about; and not enough on setting, mood, tone, aesthetics, layered staging and simple delight.

The artistry is in the individual little scenes and the way you put them together so that they get prettier and prettier and cleverer and cleverer as you go along. That's really it. It's not some stupid "I'm in danger" plot and something that takes an animatronic four minutes of non-stop blabbering to explain and I still don't understand it because I didn't watch the movie.
i know a shaman that would like to sing at you
... i kid, i kid - it's a glorified tech demo, buuut it is aligned to your thinking

TROR

Bingo. The land itself is still an incredible accomplishment even in it’s current state. Setting it on a different planet is not the problem. The timeline is not the problem. The color scheme is not the problem. The size of the Cantina is not the problem. The real problem is that outside of Rey, Chewie, and Kylo it’s missing a lot of the character interaction and droids that we all expected to be there. Heck, just bring the captain Phasma march show over. That alone would bring a lot of activity to some areas.
Also just needs more to do. Characters interactions are fun and add life to the land, but when I'm in Fantasyland my focus isn't meet n greets. The land needs good attractions. There's really nothing pulling me back to Galaxy's Edge right now and droids won't change that. Hopefully ROTR will but that's not enough to justify the entire other half of the land for me.

Kram Sacul

Also just needs more to do. Characters interactions are fun and add life to the land, but when I'm in Fantasyland my focus isn't meet n greets. The land needs good attractions. There's really nothing pulling me back to Galaxy's Edge right now and droids won't change that. Hopefully ROTR will but that's not enough to justify the entire other half of the land for me.
I agree. Even if they don’t add attractions to the land after ROTR a full blown restaurant, multiple character shows with stunts, and maybe an interactive alien animatronic who walks through the land would be good for me.

TP2000

I was down at the beach for most of the day thinking about this, but what a hilariously wonderful turn of events to have Al Lutz return!

Again, I feel so stupid for stating earlier this year that Mr. Lutz had passed away. I don't know where I got that from! :oops:

I wonder does the current crop of Burbank execs and Bob Chapek even know how big a deal this is? Do they understand the weight that Lutz's words have with the long-term West Coast fan community? If I were Mr. Chapek, I would be concerned that I did indeed cut things a bit too far and awakened the Tiki Gods and Al Lutz. :facepalm:

With apologies in advance to The Angels whose song was the biggest hit of August 1963, this tune was in my head all afternoon as I created new lyrics for August 2019, if you'd like to hit play and then sing along with the girls with these new lyrics I wrote for Mr. Chapek...

Staggs went away, and you hung around and bothered me every night.
And when you built Star Wars Land, you cut things, and that wasn't right.

Al Lutz is back and you're gonna be in trouble, hey-la, hey-la, Al Lutz is back!
When Miceage loads you better refresh on the double, hey-la, hey-la, Al Lutz is back!
You've been spreading lies that immersion was true, hey-la, hey-la, Al Lutz is back!
So look out now cause he's coming after you, hey-la, hey-la, Al Lutz is back!

Hey, he knows what you've been tryin', and he knows that you've been lyin'.
He's been gone for such a long time, hey-la, hey-la, Al Lutz is back!
Now he's back and posting online, hey-la, hey-la, Al Lutz is back!
You're gonna be sorry you were ever born, hey-la, hey-la, Al Lutz is back!
Cause he's kinda big and his AP is worn, hey-la, hey-la, Al Lutz is back!
Hey, he knows all of Burbank's secrets, now you're gonna get a beatin'.

What made you think we'd believe all your lies, wa-ooh. Wa-ooh.
You're a big man now but he'll cut you down to size, wa-ooh.
He's got an AP!

Al's back to save Walt Disney's reputation, hey-la, hey-la, Al Lutz is back.
If I were you I'd take a permanent vacation, hey-la, hey-la, Al Lutz is back!

Yeah, Al Lutz is back, well look out now, Al Lutz is back!
Well, I can see him coming so you better get a runnin' alright now!
Yeah-yeah-yeah Al Lutz is back now, I know he's coming after you because he knows I was true now!

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
I’d say add in more stunt shows/moments. Get some droids and characters. Maybe ship drones. Install an interactive force game somehow. I dunno.

Kram Sacul

I agree but I’m going to need some moss, more greenery, a waterfall and a thrill ride too.
I wouldn’t mind some moss and some more greenery but it would probably be a pain to add right now. The waterfall is in the Rise queue. It’s not big but it should be nice to walk past.

smile

it’s missing a lot of the character interaction and droids that we all expected to be there.
nothing new, same with pandora...
over-promised interactivity - everybody even has a chip lol and it still didn't come together

pie-in-the-sky ideas, if we're frank - filling people with notions they'll have a unique experience along with thousands of their closest friends... heh even if it was, it wasn't - and that gets expensive!

so, is there a way to truly deliver on some of that promise? re-coup some of that trial and error?
perhaps a more initmate encounter, ideally behind a paywall... 🤔

Kram Sacul

nothing new, same with pandora...
over-promised interactivity - everybody even has a chip lol and it still didn't come together

pie-in-the-sky ideas, if we're frank - filling people with notions they'll have a unique experience along with thousands of their closest friends... heh even if it was, it wasn't - and that gets expensive!

so, is there a way to truly deliver on some of that promise? re-coup some of that trial and error?
perhaps a more initmate encounter, ideally behind a paywall... 🤔
It’s true. All of it. The droids, the entertainment, the interactivity...

Disney really needs to be careful about showing off their early concept art that has all this stuff that we know they could never deliver on. That’s why I’m totally expecting the Mickey ride to be underwhelming series of projection rooms. The Epcot GOTG Ride might actually be good since we have so little info on it.

embracejg

I put equal blame on the Imagineers for coming up with such dreary, ugly themes and storyline for the land in the first place,

...have you seen a Star Wars movie? You’re talking about a galaxy that’s been in a perpetual state of war and political upheaval for what, 50 years?

Star Wars is about wretched hives of scum and villainy, not sunshine and rainbows.

TP2000

...have you seen a Star Wars movie? You’re talking about a galaxy that’s been in a perpetual state of war and political upheaval for what, 50 years?

Star Wars is about wretched hives of scum and villainy, not sunshine and rainbows.
Sure. But where was the scum and villainy? :confused:

I was there for three hours and I saw two (2!) Stormtroopers wandering around, a few stressed out Cantina hostesses glaring at anyone who dared to approach their hostess stand, and about 150 bored CM's just staring into the middle distance and ignoring any park visitor or talking amongst themselves about how scheduling sucks for making them work July 4th and how crazy Katie's party was last weekend.

I saw plenty of artfully distressed walls and expertly rusted pipes, lots of carefully curated displays of static props. The drinking fountains were impressively designed! The uniforms the CM's wore were gorgeous! The land was aesthetically impressive and obviously well designed to handle huge crowds of people.

But scum and villainy? I've encountered more scum and villainy at the 24 hour auto parts store on the other side of the freeway than I did at Star Wars Land. No scum, no villainy, no personality of any kind really, just lots of static displays and quiet vignettes.

Last edited:

Kram Sacul

Then it doesn’t belong in Disneyland which is about sunshine and rainbows.
Baloney. There is a huge mountain with a killer monster with teeth. A mountain range with a runaway train that wants to derail it any moment. A haunted mansion full of dead people. A cursed temple that houses thousands of skulls. Then there is Tomorrowland which is as depressing as you can get.

TROR

Baloney. There is a huge mountain with a killer monster with teeth. A mountain range with a runaway train that wants to derail it any moment. A haunted mansion full of dead people. A cursed temple that houses thousands of skulls. Then there is Tomorrowland which is as depressing as you can get.
Those are experiences, not locations. I'm not saying you can't have dark and scary on a ride, but an entire land shouldn't be dark and scary. In rides, the dark and the scary get defeated. In lands, the dark and scary rule eternally. There's no victory over evil in a land like there is on a ride.

Top Bottom