• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Al Lutz Returns - Update: Page 18 Drama

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
Advertisement
But.....the monies.
I’m sure they have studied and know they can make money... but I can’t imagine (in the long run) these places surviving in such unstable environments. Look at Hong Kong right now.

SteamboatJoe

In late January and in all of February, Midwesterners think they might die in the Midwest.
I should note that the air temperature and snow is usually the least of our concerns. It's the biting wind and countless gray days without sunlight that drive us mad. Christmas, New Years, college bowl season, and playoff football distract us for a while but mid-February until the thaw is absolutely brutal.

EDIT: Yes, I quoted myself.

TP2000

Disney grants your wish! Silly Symphony Swings will be relocated to Galaxy's Edge and rethemed as "Podracer Whirlydoo." The relocation is expected to take 4 years and cost 1.6 billion dollars, including a research trip to Aulani.
To be fair, the 1.6 Billion also includes four new Tesla Superchargers reserved for Imagineers added to the TDA parking structure.

smile

I just think Disney needs to stop building in developing or communist nations
and miss out on the chance to assimilate and ingratiate burgeoning middle classes?!
... especially if your one that considers the hometown version hazier by the day ;)

that's not the disney way... even going back to walt

TROR

and miss out on the chance to assimilate and ingratiate burgeoning middle classes?!
... especially if your one that considers the hometown version hazier by the day ;)

that's not the disney way... even going back to walt
The Disney Way is celebrating American culture, even overseas. Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong. Those are Disneyland parks that harness the same core ideas and beliefs as Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. They adjust to their audiences, but they don't lose the beliefs. Shanghai? That's not Disneyland. It's Chinese pandering to fuel the massive ego, arrogance, and narcissism China and her government display. There is nothing American about that park. Would a Disney park in India be focused on Americana, celebrating what's good and spreading our countries beliefs of freedom to India, or would it just pander to India's government so Disney can make money?

smile

The Disney Way is celebrating American culture, even overseas. Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong. Those are Disneyland parks that harness the same core ideas and beliefs as Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. They adjust to their audiences, but they don't lose the beliefs. Shanghai? That's not Disneyland. It's Chinese pandering to fuel the massive ego, arrogance, and narcissism China and her government display. There is nothing American about that park. Would a Disney park in India be focused on Americana, celebrating what's good and spreading our countries beliefs of freedom to India, or would it just pander to India's government so Disney can make money?
You are an old soul who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations. There are no peoples. There are no Chinese. There are no Indians. There are no third worlds. There is no West.

There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multivariate, multinational dominion of dollars. It is the international system of currency which determines the totality of life on this planet. That is the natural order of things today. That is the atomic and subatomic and galactic structure of things today!

There is no America. There is no democracy. We no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies, TROR. The world is a college of corporations, inexorably determined by the immutable bylaws of business. The world is a business, TROR. It has been since man crawled out of the slime. And our children will live, TROR, to see that... perfect world... in which there's no war or famine, oppression or brutality.

One vast and ecumenical holding company, for whom all men will work to serve a common profit, in which all men will hold a share of stock.

All necessities provided, all anxieties tranquilized, all boredom amused.

😜

TROR

You are an old soul who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations. There are no peoples. There are no Chinese. There are no Indians. There are no third worlds. There is no West.

There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multivariate, multinational dominion of dollars. It is the international system of currency which determines the totality of life on this planet. That is the natural order of things today. That is the atomic and subatomic and galactic structure of things today!

There is no America. There is no democracy. We no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies, TROR. The world is a college of corporations, inexorably determined by the immutable bylaws of business. The world is a business, TROR. It has been since man crawled out of the slime. And our children will live, TROR, to see that... perfect world... in which there's no war or famine, oppression or brutality.

One vast and ecumenical holding company, for whom all men will work to serve a common profit, in which all men will hold a share of stock.

All necessities provided, all anxieties tranquilized, all boredom amused.

😜
This reads like the monologue a villain tells James Bond when he has him tied up. What a sad and evil view to hold of the world. One that can only ever bring a cold death.

I'm a man who believes in truth. That there is a good and an evil. To say there is neither is how evil wins.

choco choco

Interesting about the 3rd ride. It seems, based on that layout, that it is something that could still be built if the will is strong enough.
Literally in the article:
"The C Ticket ride is gone for good, but the droids and interactive characters could be added back. "

I think after the Bantha ride was cut the layout of the land was rejiggered such that there's no way to add them back in. That space is gone.

However, my solution: why not get rid of Smuggler's Run and use the show building as the sets through which the Banthas travel, and have the load/unload area be outside (like many very smart Disneyland rides do) to add kinetics to the land? Solves the kinetics problem, solves the Smuggler's Run problem, good way to refresh the land in couple years time.

D.Silentu

A few thoughts from one who has yet to visit the land, but is finding this whole chain of events fascinating. It almost feels like the opening of California Adventure all over again, though the situation is probably less dire.
The Bantha ride really needed to happen as well as moving the Jedi Academy.
While I'm not sure about the Banthas, they sound neat but problematic, the Jedi show should absolutely be moved to the land. I imagine the chief reason it wasn't is because they were going to embrace a realistic RPG atmosphere, in which the show would not have fit. Since the RPG influence was abandoned, they have a chance to bring back an improved Jedi show, in a performance space designed for it and expanded so that more kids may participate. This also might serve to bring some force centered special effects to the land, as well as an excuse for Darth Vader and other classic villains to appear(my impression is that the antagonists are visions; I've never watched the show in its entirety).

I take the joke but it would not surprise me if GE is eventually switched to a more generic Star Wars Land, incorporating more elements and characters from the OT and prequels
I know there has been novels worth of discussion on this, so please indulge one more read on the situation. Star Wars has, for a long time, been a nostalgia engine. If Galaxy's Edge had opened ten years from now I believe we'd be looking at an entirely different situation. The recent movies have not been around long enough to tie to anyone's childhood. Time will likely amend this mistake, but for those of us who have been watching the movies all these years it leaves something to be desired.

The expectations where set to high by Disney. They failed by cutting all of the unique things out of the land and going hyper greedy on merch and drinks.
This is the latest example of of the old adage that until the gates open, nothing announced at Disneyland is final. I admit I'm surprised at how loudly they were proclaiming this next generation of themed entertainment, only to reverse course at the eleventh hour. This has happened before, but this time there was no outside factor, no foreign park failing, they simply wanted to save money. It doesn't work that way. You can't promise so much and then underdeliver to this degree. Truthfully, I suspect that if Rise of the Resistance had opened on time, it would have overshadowed many of the lands faults. Since that isn't the case, they need to add street performance to the land right away. It can't be too expensive to add in those interactive app features; it's not too late to outdo Universal on that front. Add in the Jedi show and expand the Cantina into the potential restaurant space, the need of a reservation is absurd.

It may well be that the technical delay of Rise of the Resistance is a disguised blessing. The period from June to the day it opens can be seen as an additional soft opening, a real gauge of audience reaction. Disney has now seen what doesn't work and has an opportunity to essentially relaunch the land when the ride opens, giving us all a land that, while not what was promised, is a worthy addition to the park.

Last edited:

LanceQ

Literally in the article:
"The C Ticket ride is gone for good, but the droids and interactive characters could be added back. "

I think after the Bantha ride was cut the layout of the land was rejiggered such that there's no way to add them back in. That space is gone.

However, my solution: why not get rid of Smuggler's Run and use the show building as the sets through which the Banthas travel, and have the load/unload area be outside (like many very smart Disneyland rides do) to add kinetics to the land? Solves the kinetics problem, solves the Smuggler's Run problem, good way to refresh the land in couple years time.
Getting rid of Smuggler's Run in favor of a bantha ride would be a huge mistake.

Top Bottom