• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Al Lutz Returns - Update: Page 18 Drama

Wendy Pleakley

Advertisement
Great to see, I really miss Al Lutz.

He always had great inside information - not just rumors, actual information from real sources.

He was critical of Disney when deserved, something that is in rare supply among "fan sites" these days. There's a reason he wasn't part of Disney media events.

planodisney

Disagree. More "life" will help, certainly, but it's still a world no one cares about, recognizes, or has any emotional attachment to. It's still a dump.
Was there a lot of emotional attachment to Pandora?
I think it’s pretty well acknowledged that Avatar has no emotional attachment whatsoever, except the attachment of James Cameron fans.
I’m not saying original trilogy theming wouldn’t help, but not as much as more “Disney” level things to do. That is coming and still has hopes that it could include one of the grandest attractions of all time. This book hasn’t been finished yet, no matter how bad some of you want it to be.
That in no way dismisses some of the stupid decisions made.

Rich T

I think it’s pretty well acknowledged that Avatar has no emotional attachment whatsoever, except the attachment of James Cameron fans.
I’m not saying original trilogy theming wouldn’t help, but not as much as more “Disney” level things to do. That is coming and still has hopes that it could include one of the grandest attractions of all time. This book hasn’t been finished yet, no matter how bad some of you want it to be.
I have no interest in Pandora aside from riding Flight of Passage, but at least the land is pretty-ish and full of plant life both real and imaginary.

Galaxy's Edge just doesn't press any of my buttons. Even the premise of RotR sounds dreary. But I do agree that the book isn't finished, everything in GE can be changed and fixed and I can picture the land being much more enjoyable in two or three years. Unless, of course, Disney management actually gets worse...

Phrubruh

The expectations where set to high by Disney. They failed by cutting all of the unique things out of the land and going hyper greedy on merch and drinks. We (the Disney fan forums / internet in general) chanted for four years how packed and miserable the place would be. The world listened and stayed away.

What worries me is the wdw tourists making DHS's version look successful just because they will ride and buy anything. Executives have short memories and a smaller success will last longer in their brains then a larger failure as long as they don't loose money.

shambolicdefending

One of the most interesting things in that article is this line:
Annual Passholders make up approximately 35% of annual attendance for Anaheim
I'll admit I'm a little puzzled by that number. It seems way too low, especially when considering some of the info that the OC Register published last February.
Brown said that the number of annual passholders has quadrupled over the last 20 years, though she declined to provide the numbers. The averagepassholder visits the park 10 times per year, she said, though there are fans who visit much more often. Generally, the accepted number of passholders has been thought to be around 1 million for Disneyland, though Disney has never confirmed that number.
Somebody's math is not adding up. I assume it's mine.

Last edited:

TROR

They could also release some artwork for the revamped Toontown coming for the 2022 opening of Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway.
Not a big surprise. I knew they wouldn't let Mickey's choo choo ride be a clear positive for the park. It had to be countered with something negative. At least I don't have to go to Toon Town ever but, yeah, that art style will be dated in a decade. Though, I guess the Roger Rabbit art design is also dated so who really cares.

SSG

The expectations where set to high by Disney. They failed by cutting all of the unique things out of the land and going hyper greedy on merch and drinks. We (the Disney fan forums / internet in general) chanted for four years how packed and miserable the place would be. The world listened and stayed away.
Yup. Disney hyped the land as practically putting you into a Star Wars movie. The most amazing land ever. Resistance and First Order battle around you; Bounty Hunters look for you; Droids roam the street, as do interesting aliens; Shady natives skulk in the back alleys; you gain or lose credits by your actions.

We got Rey, Chewie and Kylo wandering around a bit, some puzzles on your phone and just about nothing else.

Sure, Disney could add all that stuff back; I hope they do, but it's a good sized miss from expectation to delivery.

TROR

We've already seen how terribly Shanghai locals have treated their Disneyland, what would possess Disney to think India would respect the park? The country has an epidemic of people pooing in the streets. It's a second world country at best and a third world at worst. Yes, there's over a billion people, but it's not exactly a rich enough nation for those billion people to buy tickets to Disneyland.

If Disney's going to build another theme park anywhere, it should be in Eastern Europe, Australia, North America, or Hong Kong. Mexico, with all its cartels, would be a better choice than India.

George Lucas on a Bench

What worries me is the wdw tourists making DHS's version look successful just because they will ride and buy anything. Executives have short memories and a smaller success will last longer in their brains then a larger failure as long as they don't loose money.
There's also a big difference between putting a giant fantasy land in a park that's aged terribly and is in dire need of a revamp and new attractions vs. the quintessential park by which all others should be judged. GE is good for DHS despite its flaws. It's more of a reason to actually go to that park. Two more E ticket rides in a park that has so few and charges the same admission.

Phrubruh

I sort of guessed Brazil would be the next resort destination, but India makes sense.
First ride in India will be cross park and international.
Riders will pretend they are Saudi Prince/Princesses that needs to move money offshore and will give guests at Epcot a share in exchange for their bank account numbers.

VJ

First ride in India will be cross park and international.
Riders will pretend they are Saudi Prince/Princesses that needs to move money offshore and will give guests at Epcot a share in exchange for their bank account numbers.
is it possible to laugh and groan at the same time?

Top Bottom