• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Al Lutz Returns - Update: Page 18 Drama

Disney Analyst

Original Poster

Oh my gosh you guys. Star Wars Land brought Al Lutz back for an article.

Edit***

Adding a link to page 18 where a chilling article was posted about Al Lutz, Disney insiders, and a fierce corporate takeover through the use of message boards. Jump on in, enjoy the tea, and try to get your digestif down.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Advertisement

Oh my gosh you guys. Star Wars Land brought Al Lutz back for an article.
"No one's ever really gone"

- Luke Skywalker

Phrubruh

The Bantha ride really needed to happen as well as moving the Jedi Academy. Corporate bunders like these are the reasons why George fought to keep his indepence and not sell out to the corporate studios. Building a underwhelming Star Wars shopping mall wasn't what was promised. I hope the drought of guests lasts the entire year to teach Disney a lesson. However, its the tourists at WDW that will screw it up.

"Their tourists! What do they know?"

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
Enjoy this read SWL defenders. You are why we can’t have nice things.
I mean. The issues Al Lutz mentioned are mostly things everyone agrees on... it’s those that claim the land itself is a failure due to lack of OT... or known planet... or the incredible theming.

The fact is, if they bring in all the details that were cut, it will be incredible. Droids. Actors. Drones. Let’s go Disney!

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
Disagree. More "life" will help, certainly, but it's still a world no one cares about, recognizes, or has any emotional attachment to. It's still a dump.
Disagree. The majority don’t have any attachment to the vague worlds represented in the movies.

Disney is better off in the long run doing what they did in terms of land design and place.

Rich T

Great read, and pretty much matches how I've felt Disney's handled this project all along. I put equal blame on the Imagineers for coming up with such dreary, ugly themes and storyline for the land in the first place, but this whole project has evolved into a cynical, soulless cash grab (though one with a lot of good craftsmanship put into it). The line about execs feeling fans won't need entertainment because they'll be happy enough instagramming their selfies is gold. Magic happens! Elsewhere!

Last edited:

mickEblu

I mean. The issues Al Lutz mentioned are mostly things everyone agrees on... it’s those that claim the land itself is a failure due to lack of OT... or known planet... or the incredible theming.

The fact is, if they bring in all the details that were cut, it will be incredible. Droids. Actors. Drones. Let’s go Disney!
Point is these cheap execs bank on people that will be “cool” with anything. Plenty of easy to please people here have said the land is fun and entertaining.

Last edited:

Rich T

Disagree. The majority don’t have any attachment to the vague worlds represented in the movies.

Disney is better off in the long run doing what they did in terms of land design and place.
Just wanted to add that I do actually agree with both your lines here. Tatooine is probably the closest thing SW has to a "home" world that people can relate to... but who really wants to go there? Going with a new, flexible, adaptable land was a brilliant move. I personally just don't care for their choices. I think the land should be a celebration of the franchise, not a war-torn-looking LARP stage.

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
Just wanted to add that I do actually agree with both your lines here. Tatooine is probably the closest thing SW has to a "home" world that people can relate to... but who really wants to go there? Going with a new, flexible, adaptable land was a brilliant move. I personally just don't care for their choices. I think the land should be a celebration of the franchise, not a war-torn-looking LARP stage.
And I can see that being ideal for many or some. I just don’t think that’s the crux of the issue here. I think the land itself looks great, just needs more of the world brought to life as promised. That’s the only thing that makes it a game changer.

I think the issue for many is this has been done. A shopping mall that’s well themed and has some interactive elements with a couple rides is found at Universal. It just had a far more accessible franchise attached. They really needed to up it to be better. This can still be fixed though.

mickEblu

And I can see that being ideal for many or some. I just don’t think that’s the crux of the issue here. I think the land itself looks great, just needs more of the world brought to life as promised. That’s the only thing that makes it a game changer.

I think the issue for many is this has been done. A shopping mall that’s well themed and has some interactive elements with a couple rides is found at Universal. It just had a far more accessible franchise attached. They really needed to up it to be better. This can still be fixed though.
No it’s not the Crux of the issue. But it is one of them. Of course adding some fun entertainment and steeetmosphere to the land would help it feel less like a war torn abandoned movie set. I’ve always said visually the land can be improved very easily, it’s the other things that they will have to commit to and spend the money on.

TP2000

I'm delaying brunch for this, but oh my gosh! Al Lutz is back! :D

I am so embarrassed that I thought Al Lutz had passed away and I had mentioned that here recently, when according to his article today he has merely had some health challenges with Parkinson's. "The report of my death was an exaggeration." - Mark Twain

But how unnerved must Mr. Chapek be now? Mr. Chapek's missteps and cutbacks on Star Wars Land brought Al Lutz out of retirement?!? That takes work to mess up that badly. :oops:

Mr. Chapek should phone Mr. Pressler and schedule a lunch, just so Mr. Chapek can learn how this is going to end.

Last edited:

Phrubruh

I'm delaying brunch for this, but oh my gosh! Al Lutz is back! :D

I am so embarrassed that I thought Al Lutz had passed away and I had mentioned that here recently, when according to his article today he has merely had some health challenges with Parkinson's. "The report of my death was an exaggeration." - Mark Twain

But how unnerved must Mr. Chapek be now? Mr. Chapek's missteps and cutbacks on Star Wars Land brought Al Lutz out of retirement?!? That takes work to mess up that badly. :oops:

Mr. Chapek should phone Mr. Pressler and schedule a lunch, just so Mr. Chapek can learn how this is going to end.
Sure Chapek can go have lunch at Pressler's McDonalds on Ball. A Big Mac solves everything.

Top Bottom