Al Lutz on what is NOT coming to Star Tours at DHS

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I have become increasingly convinced that Disney (and of course Disney is not alone) is a corporate machine and that the vast percentage of the decision making is driven by pure calculation. This is not necessarily a complaint as they are a business and this is the responsibilty of the company's leaders. Ultimately they need to provide what guests (customers) want. Not what a few fanboys demand via an internet connection. And make no mistake 74 and Lutz etc. are fanboys. That is my only point. Is Disney aware of these people? Yes I think they are. If by "aware" we mean like you are aware of a gnat buzzing around while you are trying to hit a 300 yard drive at the links.

PS- proper punctuation is your friend. Perhaps you missed that lesson at boarding school.

PSS- Walt is long gone. And missed too. They just don't make people like that anymore.

Thank you for the English lesson, but given the medium Im using Ill post as normal. Reliance on such diversionary points tends to highlight the lack of substance to the posters post and the ability to substantiate their claim beyond opinion.

I digress, but forgive me arent you now just back peddling further? But I guess Im not alone in having difficulty in establishing what points you actual want to make given you constantly contradict yourself. By calculation I take it you mean bean counting, and driven by the bottom line? I agree with that but Im sure the point many posters are making is thats not how they arrived at the dominant position they are in today and you neglect your history at your peril.

Walt was dead long before most of this sites users were born and given your media's tendency to create myths its easy to see where some of the fan boy rhetoric comes from. That said I post as a tourist and user of services, and on the rare occassion when I make a serious post I make no claim other than the views being expressed are those commonly shred on none Disney sites, which, excuse my arrogance, I would have thought were more representative of the customer opinion you claim Disney wants to hear. The resounding view being Disney is for kids, its over priced, its better to stay in villas, the hotels are nothing special and its a bit boring compred to other Orlando area attractions if you don't have young kids. But Im sure Disney are happy with that, they must be, as its the message continually pumped out in their marketing.

muse1983

Here's the quote:

"Star Tours 2.0 was originally slated to be ready for soft openings by the time the Pirates movie premiere was held at Disneyland. And Mr. Depp and guests will probably get their own private preview the night of the premiere. However, around that same time a slightly less ambitious version of the remade ride is set to debut out at Walt Disney World (Orlando execs passed on paying for big updates to their exterior and exit gift shop, as well as some improvements to the ride system and vehicles that Disneyland is getting to increase hourly capacity. They're still muggled out there I guess)."

Here's the link:

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al022211a.htm

Admittedly, doesn't sound that bad, but sounds like they were considering a few bits and bobs that WDW is not getting.

Flame on!

I really don't have an issue at all with them barely touching the exterior. I feel it's perfect the way it is and would be afraid for them to update it with even a tiny bit of prequel nonsense.

Tigger1988

I really don't have an issue at all with them barely touching the exterior. I feel it's perfect the way it is and would be afraid for them to update it with even a tiny bit of prequel nonsense.

Same here. Funny thing is, if they changed it people would complain. They don't change it, people complain. Can't win :shrug:

doppelv

While Tattooine Traders is an okay store, at the very least they need to change the banners in the store. Come on, Anakin grew up, he turned to the Dark Side, get with it! Those banners haven't been changed since Episode 1 and its ridiculous! This is the kind of stuff that shows how mismanaged things really are. It shows that there is no consideration for updating. These aren't even expensive. Okay, rant over!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Why doesn't ST2 have a big nextgen component? So much cool stuff they could do. Stop and think about it for a moment.

Was it in development too early, or do they just think it will be a big enough draw as is, so spend our $ in other areas?

Star Tours's interior queue was already one of the most interesting around. I'm sure they'll enhance that a bit as well, at least with added video and audio. It may not be full "Next Gen", but it's part way there already. All Lutz said is that we aren't getting anything new in the exterior queue.

askmike1

First off, I don't really mind that they are not updating the gift shop. The exterior of that actually looks quite nice (though a plussing would have been welcome as well). But let me call BS on many of the comments in this thread that the shop was just updated a few years ago..... Tatooine Traders debuted in September of 1999... that's a full 12 years ago, way too many years to say "just a few years ago."

And I am very disappointed that they are not updating or even completely changing the outside. It can use so many plussings it is ridiculous. Two that come to the top of my head...
  • Hide the show building (as Toy Story Mania has shown, they can clearly theme if they want to)
  • No more movie sets... enclose all the tree-backs and other items that break the magic. The theme of DHS is no longer a "working studio"... there is so much that can be done with Star Wars

tirian

First off, I don't really mind that they are not updating the gift shop. The exterior of that actually looks quite nice (though a plussing would have been welcome as well). But let me call BS on many of the comments in this thread that the shop was just updated a few years ago..... Tatooine Traders debuted in September of 1999... that's a full 12 years ago, way too many years to say "just a few years ago."

It was still considerably upgraded, with a final product superior to the store in DL. No matter how old TT is, it doesn't really need to be upgraded.

Plus, it's a store at the end of an attraction. Why does anybody care? :lol: (J/k; it's WDI's job to sweat the small stuff.)

No more movie sets... enclose all the tree-backs and other items that break the magic. The theme of DHS is no longer a "working studio"... there is so much that can be done with Star Wars

That's a legitimate point, but they're probably (hint, hint) going to keep the "working set" theme since they aren't willing to create a Star Wars land. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom