Al Lutz on what is NOT coming to Star Tours at DHS

RSoxNo1

I think part of Al's bias is his sources. He has excellent sources within Disneyland, and seemingly doesn't have the best sources in Disney World. As such, he's going to praise what's coming to Disneyland.

Krack

That said, while Al's distatste for WDW is palatable every time he mentions it, he's not exactly wrong most of the time. And he has the most accurate, detailed information of anyone who writes regularly about the parks. Everyone else is just an imitator.

Ding. Ding. Ding.

People can complain about him all they want, but Disneyland is vastly improved over where it was 10-15 years ago and i'm convinced it's largely because of Lutz. If only WDW had it's own Lutz (and legion of locals who were willing to say "the Emperor has no clothes").

Compass East

I think both parks are doing an amazing job. The two Star Wars rides are in different lands, different parks, different resorts. I think we should wait and see what happens. :)

jjharvpro

Wow, he is totally not biased....haha

Anyways, I love how Disneyland's is in Tomorrowland, but DHS Star Tours has a GREAT queue and makes me want to ride it more!!

Let's see what REALLY happens...

nemofinder22

I don't think DL's will get anything in terms of enhancements made to the facade besides new paint(scaffolding comes down March 18) BUT new paint never hurts, I would hope that DHS's would at least get new paint to its exterior.

Captain Neo

Well I know originally Star Tours @ Disneyland was going to get a giant video screen that displayed different things rather than a standard facade. It was gonna look like something out of Blade Runner or Total Recall. You can even see it in concept art for the redo of Tomorrowland '98. However that was 12 years ago so plans could have changed since then.

DisneyNut2007

Thank you 74' for posting this....about time someone did ( perhaps already done before, but i missed it..!).

I am really not overly excited about all the 'NextGen' hype....and the more one thinks about such 'datamining' the less appealing it all sounds. Who wants to completely plan everything out in advance like one was planning a military battle ( complete with bathroom breaks and churro stops) ??

The impression i get to date about the whole thing is it is yet another way to 'classify' Guests and file them into different 'catagories'. This makes it feel like someone who can only afford to room at a Value Resort will be getting a 'less Magical' experience then a Guest staying at a Deluxe. This is the Guests' perception, and maybe this is what Disney is counting on to make folks pony up the extra cash. I can easily see that being a focus used in forthcoming marketing for this once it begins....

....it all leaves one wondering...what ever happened to Walt's attitude that every person is welcomed with equal enthusiasim, regardless of where they come from and how much income they make? What was once a 'day in the Park' has slowly been turned into a 'exclusive members only' club in some respects. Not something i like to see, but as they say, 'Money talks, BS walks..'

:(

So getting back to the original topic ( what was it....oh..right...Star Tours! Yay! )

I am glad they are keeping the outside and queue at Studios. It looks great, and after a little repainting and refurb it will look even better. I agree with others in that it would be awesome to see some Ewoks added but i understand the reasoning behind their daytime absence. By the way, can you still hear them up in the huts at nighttime? A while back you could hear them chattering and the little lights flickering up in the houses.

Besides the ride itself, i am hoping the inside queue is updated a little. Those huge videos screen really were looking foggy when last i saw them.

It is fun to remember that when this attraction first opened, NONE of the 'newer' Star Wars flicks were around. It has a nice classic 'old school' feel to it...before the other three films came around and gave us lovely things like Jar Jar Binks. Of course, they gave us fantastic things like General Grevious and alien Jedi Knights....so it is not a complete loss. It will be interesting to see what they cherry-pick to add to the new attraction.

Looking forward to it!

:)

WHAT?! YOU AGREE WITH THAT LOSER KNOWN AS WDW1974?! :mad:

You're dead wrong and you're a lousy excuse for a human being, just like him! :mad:

DisneyNut2007

All of the Disney bloggers have their own personal axes to grind, they all think too much of themselves, and they all seem to think they are journalists when in fact writing a blog of opinions to further that agenda.

And that most certainly includes that Grade-A jerk known as WDW1974, along with other such Grade-A jerks/Disney-haters as Al Lutz, Kevin Yee, TDLFAN, etc.

That said, while Al's distatste for WDW is palatable every time he mentions it, he's not exactly wrong most of the time. And he has the most accurate, detailed information of anyone who writes regularly about the parks. Everyone else is just an imitator.

Correction: Al Lutz IS an imitator! He DOES NOT have the most accurate and detailed info. He only has nothing better to do than to badmouth Disney, regardless of what they do, and DOES tend to be wrong more often than not. And it's very painfully obvious.

If only Enderikari were here... :cry:

DisneyNut2007

Ding. Ding. Ding.

People can complain about him all they want, but Disneyland is vastly improved over where it was 10-15 years ago and i'm convinced it's largely because of Lutz. If only WDW had it's own Lutz (and legion of locals who were willing to say "the Emperor has no clothes").

(BUZZER SOUND) YOU'RE WRONG AGAIN, YOU DOPE!!! :mad:

tirian

Ding. Ding. Ding.

I don't think you'll find any level-headed person who disagrees with you.

tirian

By the way, can you still hear them up in the huts at nighttime? A while back you could hear them chattering and the little lights flickering up in the houses.

How have I missed this? :eek:

I admit, I'm a sucker for the Ewoks. They're the cutest, most useless part of the original trilogy. :lol:

TP2000

I don't think DL's will get anything in terms of enhancements made to the facade besides new paint(scaffolding comes down March 18) BUT new paint never hurts, I would hope that DHS's would at least get new paint to its exterior.

Exactly. For just a moment, let's put aside the usual West Coast vs. East Coast, Us vs. Them, TDA vs. TDO, Al Lutz vs. Meg Crofton, blah blah blah stuff. The core question remains... Are they going to do anything to the exterior of the DHS Star Tours?

A fresh coat of paint works wonders in sprucing up anything that sits outside for years. And the Central Florida climate is more brutal than the Southern California climate. There is lots of horticulture and props and physical parts of the exterior at the DHS Star Tours that could use freshening, replacing, refurbishing, painting and polishing.

I asked this question in the regular Star Tours thread earlier this year, but I'll ask it again here... Have they done anything to the exterior of Star Tours at DHS since it closed last September? Scaffolding, painting, replacing, sprucing? I can't remember any type of exterior refurbishment (or any refurbishment really) of the DHS Star Tours building and facility in recent years. Now would seem the time to do it, even just some paint.

Anyone seen anyone with a paint brush around Star Tours lately? :confused:

MarkTwain

I think part of Al's bias is his sources. He has excellent sources within Disneyland, and seemingly doesn't have the best sources in Disney World. As such, he's going to praise what's coming to Disneyland.

The way I see it, Al Lutz has had a very large role in the reversal of management Disneyland has seen in recent years. It seems that nearly every time I hear a change being discussed or an addition announced in the Disneyland side of things, I find myself approving or even being impressed (and I can be a tough judge to please). I'm guessing that after Al spent many years as Disneyland's watchdog/harshest critic, he now sees himself more or less in the same place that I am, and takes some degree of personal responsibility for Disneyland getting to the state it's in today. Since he now can no longer complain about Disneyland like he used to, and he sees quality at WDW declining, he's taking it upon himself to address the eastern parks now.. for which I'm grateful.

jt04

The way I see it, Al Lutz has had a very large role in the reversal of management Disneyland has seen in recent years. It seems that nearly every time I hear a change being discussed or an addition announced in the Disneyland side of things, I find myself approving or even being impressed (and I can be a tough judge to please). I'm guessing that after Al spent many years as Disneyland's watchdog/harshest critic, he now sees himself more or less in the same place that I am, and takes some degree of personal responsibility for Disneyland getting to the state it's in today. Since he now can no longer complain about Disneyland like he used to, and he sees quality at WDW declining, he's taking it upon himself to address the eastern parks now.. for which I'm grateful.

No disrespect but this is.....um..........a bit detached. 74 sees himself in this light too. In fact it is amazing how some folks pop up just before the parks are getting infrastructure upgrades. But as we know these changes take months if not years to get through the pipeline.

What we are seeing is the normal business cycle and little more. Although it does appear to me that Iger has implemented an ongoing maintenance plan that will not allow the parks to get into a run down state. This strategy likely saves money over the long term.

"Armchair CEO's" who use the internet to criticize and then claim credit when inevitable changes come are simply opportunists. Disney is much more tuned in to the average guest through surveys, guest complaints and praise, customer reactions and the bottom line. People vote with their wallets. That is what drives change.

Sorry but it needed to be said. :wave:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Jt you know I think your a cretin, your latest post seems to underline that fact. Of course I may be wrong and in case you do have learning difficulties, I apologise.

However Id suggest that in buisness development terms your experience extends no further than asking "do you want fries with that", and as someone who doesnt frequent the parks can only be using second hand information to form an opinion undermining any credibility (I jest) that your post has.

Surveys are prepared in a way that delivers the answers you want, change can occur at the pace you are prepared to fund it at, with certain obvious limitations, and Disney seem to do things in ways that stretch the bounds of credibility when compared to other organisations operating in the same area.

But maybe its me, but surely reacting to public opinion is the same whether fuelled by internet chatter or foot fall as one does tend to fall from the other.

jt04

Jt you know I think your a cretin, your latest post seems to underline that fact. Of course I may be wrong and in case you do have learning difficulties, I apologise.

However Id suggest that in buisness development terms your experience extends no further than asking "do you want fries with that", and as someone who doesnt frequent the parks can only be using second hand information to form an opinion undermining any credibility (I jest) that your post has.

Surveys are prepared in a way that delivers the answers you want, change can occur at the pace you are prepared to fund it at, with certain obvious limitations, and Disney seem to do things in ways that stretch the bounds of credibility when compared to other organisations operating in the same area.

But maybe its me, but surely reacting to public opinion is the same whether fuelled by internet chatter or foot fall as one does tend to fall from the other.

I have become increasingly convinced that Disney (and of course Disney is not alone) is a corporate machine and that the vast percentage of the decision making is driven by pure calculation. This is not necessarily a complaint as they are a business and this is the responsibilty of the company's leaders. Ultimately they need to provide what guests (customers) want. Not what a few fanboys demand via an internet connection. And make no mistake 74 and Lutz etc. are fanboys. That is my only point. Is Disney aware of these people? Yes I think they are. If by "aware" we mean like you are aware of a gnat buzzing around while you are trying to hit a 300 yard drive at the links.

PS- proper punctuation is your friend. Perhaps you missed that lesson at boarding school.

PSS- Walt is long gone. And missed too. They just don't make people like that anymore.

IlikeDW

Exactly. For just a moment, let's put aside the usual West Coast vs. East Coast, Us vs. Them, TDA vs. TDO, Al Lutz vs. Meg Crofton, blah blah blah stuff. The core question remains... Are they going to do anything to the exterior of the DHS Star Tours?

A fresh coat of paint works wonders in sprucing up anything that sits outside for years. And the Central Florida climate is more brutal than the Southern California climate. There is lots of horticulture and props and physical parts of the exterior at the DHS Star Tours that could use freshening, replacing, refurbishing, painting and polishing.

I asked this question in the regular Star Tours thread earlier this year, but I'll ask it again here... Have they done anything to the exterior of Star Tours at DHS since it closed last September? Scaffolding, painting, replacing, sprucing? I can't remember any type of exterior refurbishment (or any refurbishment really) of the DHS Star Tours building and facility in recent years. Now would seem the time to do it, even just some paint.

Anyone seen anyone with a paint brush around Star Tours lately? :confused:

I know the speed bike across from star tours recently(since it closed) was refreshed. I remember seeing somewhere that the show building had been repainted but I am trying to find it to make sure I did not imagine it.

* found what I saw about 2/3 down the page but it was only the side of building.
http://orlandoparksnews.blogspot.com/2011/02/disneys-hollywood-studios-update-feb-20.html

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom