Al Lutz on what is NOT coming to Star Tours at DHS

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I call BS.

"BS!"

:)

1. He accuses WDW of not increasing capacity like DL. DHS already has more simulators than DL; there's no reason to modify the interiors.

2. He snubs WDW for refusing to spend money on the gift shop. WDW updated its gift shop to Tatooine Traders a few years ago, while DL had a very TL-generic shop that needed to be re-imagineered.

3. He praises DL for updating the exterior, and not-so-subtly jabs WDW for not doing so. Of course DL is updating the bland, baby-blue exterior that's a hodgepodge of styles from Tomorrowland of the 60s, 90s, and 2000s. The exterior at DHS is supposed to be a working movie set and is already superior to the one at DL; why would it be changed?

The interiors will be almost exactly the same on both coasts. Lutz is just crying because we'll get it before his precious West Coast baby.

Agreed all the way around. There is really no reason for TDO to spend money increasing capacity. They already did that when Star Tours was originally built with 50% greater capacity then at DL.

Since 1987, baby! :lol:

To be fair, Star Tours in Tomorrowland, where it's located in all Disney parks around the world except at WDW, is one of three major E Tickets shoehorned into that corner of Disneyland (Space Mountain, Star Tours, Submarine Voyage). With several other lesser but still quite popular attractions just a few steps on either side of it (Buzz Lightyear, Captain EO, Astrojets, Autopia).

They used the big space they had at DHS to great effect, with the at-at and forest setting.

But I do have to wonder what WDI would have done with that space if they'd been given a budget from TDO for some new upgrades?

Quite fair indeed, and it speaks to the differences between WDW and DL. At DL, things are shoe-horned in, and done very efficiently and effectively. Space is used very well. Things seem tight at DL, but in reality they are even tighter than they make it seem. But there's less time/ability to place-set and mood set.

At WDW, things are far apart, and place-setting can occur in a more immersive way. The Star Tours exterior is a great example.

SeaCastle

TDO makes more mistakes than a dyslexic kid in a spelling bee, but Al's latest jabs are the cries of a fanboy, not a real reporter. DL's store and exterior needed to be updated anyway; and since other parts of DHS are receiving landscaping and cosmetic updates, it's clearly a case of budget allowances.

That said, I wish we'd have our own Al for WDW, since he has incredible sources deep in the corporate level and commands enough attention to get things fixed at DL. We're still waiting for a fiberglass rock to get replaced in BTMRR.

Wouldn't a budget for ST2.0 be separate from that of one for DHS cosmetic changes? (Any hint to what those may be?)

Besides that, I totally agree. Lutz has excellent information and connections, but he has way too much of an anti-WDW agenda. (For example, reporting that the FLE's meet and greets were cut but conveniently not reporting the fact that they had been replaced by a unique, D-ticket coaster.)

I know TDO horribly mismanages its parks, but he goes completely out of his way to make his point...something like "The Matterhorn is scheduled to go down for a six-month refurb...something Orlando managers wouldn't stand for even if they had built their inferior copy of the Disneyland orignal when they had the chance 35 years ago." :rolleyes:

EDIT: That wasn't a real Al quote...it was just added for effect.

Jerm

I will say that the exterior sets won't be in the same time period as the ride, which is a pretty big blunder. I'm a pretty big Star Wars nerd but I'm not completely up to date on expanded universe stuff, and I'm not sure if, for instance, the AT-AT Walker fits in with the post-EP.3 / Pre-EP.1, but I highly doubt it. The Ewoks would exist, as would the Tatooine side.

Stylistically though, the only thing they could do is make new sets on the exterior. Otherwise, they are tethered by the studio look of DHS.

The one thing will always give Studios Star Tours is a pass is it is a set for filming, not a real space port like in DL. Star Tours in Fl in the past had random Star Wars things around it that didn't fit in the time line.

MGM - Star Tours by JeremiahGood, on Flickr

Also the store will fit now so there is no real need to change it. The Disneyland store had no tie to Star Wars since the 98 rehab so it was time to tie it all together.

Mansion Butler

Wouldn't a budget for ST2.0 be separate from that of one for DHS cosmetic changes? (Any hint to what those may be?)

Besides that, I totally agree. Lutz has excellent information and connections, but he has way too much of an anti-WDW agenda. (For example, reporting that the FLE's meet and greets were cut but conveniently not reporting the fact that they had been replaced by a unique, D-ticket coaster.)

I know TDO horribly mismanages its parks, but he goes completely out of his way to make his point...something like "The Matterhorn is scheduled to go down for a six-month refurb...something Orlando managers wouldn't stand for even if they had built their inferior copy of the Disneyland orignal when they had the chance 35 years ago." :rolleyes:

EDIT: That wasn't a real Al quote...it was just added for effect.
He's not alone in it, either. There are things DL does that we like more, no doubt. But there is a large swath of people that take it to a fanboy level the way people argue about video game systems, where all things must be spun in to arguments about why one property is better than the other, even when it's not necessarily true.

WDW1974

TDO makes more mistakes than a dyslexic kid in a spelling bee, but Al's latest jabs are the cries of a fanboy, not a real reporter. DL's store and exterior needed to be updated anyway; and since other parts of DHS are receiving landscaping and cosmetic updates, it's clearly a case of budget allowances.

Hey, tirian ... let's not be dissing poor Al. He really does a great job. And even if he hates on WDW, or more accurately TDO, to excess ... most of the time, he is right.

And, let's be straight on this (perhaps a bad word to use on a Disney fan site!):drevil:, but Al is not a reporter and has never claimed to be. He does 'cover' DLR better than many real reporters, but that still doesn't change the facts that he gets to play under a whole different set of rules.

I just read his little update and was a bit surprised as it seemed to hint at taking a shot at TDO for having nothing to compete with Potter (he mentioned the word wizard somewhere) and then there was pretty much nothing said beyond that.

Oh, I also find it very amusing that the new version is months from opening and they have been selling toy versions of the new Starspeeders at the outlets stores for months now already!

That said, I wish we'd have our own Al for WDW, since he has incredible sources deep in the corporate level and commands enough attention to get things fixed at DL. We're still waiting for a fiberglass rock to get replaced in BTMRR.

There are some people quite capable of doing what Al does -- and then some. But it can be a full-time deal and most people capable have lives or wish to be paid for their work.

I do see we have dueling housewives that are looking to 'cover' WDW with weekly columns. I don't see them as anything more than people with too much free time to spend at theme parks taking pictures.

I like Kevin Yee, but he is too wishy-washy (something I have said to him in person). I think he tries way too hard to be perceived as 'fair and balanced' which just ain't gonna fly in either fan corners or TDO suites, so you wind up losing with both audiences.

WDW1974

He can have any agenda he wants.

People used to say he hated DL. Funny, the place was falling apart and totally mismanaged (to the point that people actually died!) when he was spouting this alleged 'hate' ... now, DLR has really been in a complete turnaround since 2004 and his columns are much more positive. Connection?

WDW isn't being run well (oh, and people are also dying every now and then) and is also falling apart in many places and cutting quality while raising prices and Al can rip it all he wants. He may not be entirely fair, but his underlying points are dead on.

And, to be fair, WDW didn't suddenly decide to 'add' anything when they replaced the meet-greet-and-gropes with the mine train ride. They simply put back what had originally been there ... go take a look at the 2009 artwork, where it is shown.

Al could rip TDO for killing Pixie Hollow ... or Cartoon Corners (which apparently would have been another E-Ticket) ... or all the retheming on the east side of the castle, which was pulled from the budget and he'd still have a point.

We're still getting barebones here ... the absolute least they could get out of this project ... and five will get you 10 that they'll pull some more cost-cutting before all is said and done ... I think Eddie Sotto had suggested the outer castle 'wall' being added was something that could easily be pulled to save money. I think you'll see things like that because you always do ... unless John Lasseter gets involved!

tirian

^^ Yes, but the ST2 update is...shall we say...near to my heart, even though I'm not a big SW fan. And I can tell you the version in FL is every bit as good as the one in CA.

You know I'm not one to defend mediocrity. :D

tirian

People used to say he hated DL. Funny, the place was falling apart and totally mismanaged (to the point that people actually died!) when he was spouting this alleged 'hate' ... now, DLR has really been in a complete turnaround since 2004 and his columns are much more positive. Connection?

WDW isn't being run well (oh, and people are also dying every now and then) and is also falling apart in many places and cutting quality while raising prices and Al can rip it all he wants. He may not be entirely fair, but his underlying points are dead on.

And, to be fair, WDW didn't suddenly decide to 'add' anything when they replaced the meet-greet-and-gropes with the mine train ride. They simply put back what had originally been there ... go take a look at the 2009 artwork, where it is shown.

Al could rip TDO for killing Pixie Hollow ... or Cartoon Corners (which apparently would have been another E-Ticket) ... or all the retheming on the east side of the castle, which was pulled from the budget and he'd still have a point.

We're still getting barebones here ... the absolute least they could get out of this project ... and five will get you 10 that they'll pull some more cost-cutting before all is said and done ... I think Eddie Sotto had suggested the outer castle 'wall' being added was something that could easily be pulled to save money. I think you'll see things like that because you always do ... unless John Lasseter gets involved!

And that's why WDW needs its own Al.

WDW1974

^^ Yes, but the ST2 update is...shall we say...near to my heart, even though I'm not a big SW fan. And I can tell you the version in FL is every bit as good as the one in CA.

You know I'm not one to defend mediocrity. :D

I have heard they are almost identical except for the queues and the shops at the exit.

But let's see how well WDW's is kept up.

Rode TDR's (which isn't getting the new version ... yet) in December and was amazed at how well it held up because (like everything else there) the thing was in perfect show condition and the pre and post show areas are the best in the world with lots to see.

And I know you won't defend mediocrity ... but don't worry, there are are plenty that will gladly take on that load.

SeaCastle

Believe me...I don't have any problem with people ripping on TDO, because almost all of the time, it DOES deserve the bad press (which it doesn't get enough of). My point was that Al goes (really) out of his way to make derogatory comments about WDW, not so much the management, but the park itself - something that makes me wonder if he has a personal vendetta against the place rather than just pointing out the mismanagement. But maybe that's just me.

I'm cognizant of that. My point was that he chose not to report on the decided improvement (over the plans released at D23, not necessarily the original plans) and rather further shed a bad light on it. It would be one thing to say "The previous plans included the coaster, which at Rasulo's behest was removed and replaced with a meet and greet complex. When Staggs took charge, the meet and greet was swapped for the originally planned coaster." (Cliff Notes version) versus saying "the one billion dollar DCA project was given the go-ahead, while WDW's Fantasyland Expansion was re-evaluated, and had its meet and greets cut." Again, a simplification of the actual events that transpired, just unfair reporting on Lutz's part. (Not that he is a reporter...its his blog and he'll cry if we wants to.)

And quite honestly I'm surprised that he hasn't.

DisneyNut2007

WDW1974, you'd be a far better person if you weren't such an Al Lutz apologist. He does not deserve ANY respect at all! He's concieted, never positive and does not deserve credit for any improvements that have occured at Disney--he's not responsible for them, despite what you may think! :mad:

I also must remind you all to leave TDO alone! They don't have that kind of power! They don't make certain decisions like where to spend money. Other departments do that! :mad:

aladdin2007

Believe me...I don't have any problem with people ripping on TDO, because almost all of the time, it DOES deserve the bad press (which it doesn't get enough of). My point was that Al goes (really) out of his way to make derogatory comments about WDW, not so much the management, but the park itself - something that makes me wonder if he has a personal vendetta against the place rather than just pointing out the mismanagement. But maybe that's just me.

I'm cognizant of that. My point was that he chose not to report on the decided improvement (over the plans released at D23, not necessarily the original plans) and rather further shed a bad light on it. It would be one thing to say "The previous plans included the coaster, which at Rasulo's behest was removed and replaced with a meet and greet complex. When Staggs took charge, the meet and greet was swapped for the originally planned coaster." (Cliff Notes version) versus saying "the one billion dollar DCA project was given the go-ahead, while WDW's Fantasyland Expansion was re-evaluated, and had its meet and greets cut." Again, a simplification of the actual events that transpired, just unfair reporting on Lutz's part. (Not that he is a reporter...its his blog and he'll cry if we wants to.)

And quite honestly I'm surprised that he hasn't.

I totally agree with the bold. I enjoy reading his articles just for the inside information and goings on, its fun and interesting. Yet at the same time I almost hate to because every chance he gets he does nothing but rip WDW apart. He is on target though about TDO and stuff (sadly) but his writing attitude is a turn off regarding WDW, he must really hate the place. Maybe hes jealous that our Little Mermaid is getting a far superior queue and facade than DCA's. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom