Al Lutz--Not much coming to domestic parks re: Lucas purchase

fractal

He contradicts himself a bit. After saying not much new will show up in Orlando he ends with these two paragraphs; which tells me he has as much of a clue as we all do.

"So is this all a good thing? I think so, and it certainly addresses all the questions everyone had about Universal’s Harry Potter deal giving the Disney Resorts some good competition. Remember, JK Rowling has completed the Potter series of books, while Disney plans a continuing run of Star Wars sequels ramping up right away.

I’ve said before this is a good time for theme park fans, as all the major players have been increasing their efforts. We are going to see some great new attractions and themed environments over the next few years as they continue to one up each other with what they can do. It’s going to be a blast!"

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
the reality will be based on whatever makes Disney the biggest return on investment. That could even mean licensing to Universal.

GLaDOS

Looking at it rationally, he's probably right. And Star Wars addition is probably 3-5 years out at least, considering how aggressive Disney has been with recent build cycles.

All depends on your definition of "at the moment" is.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
...Wait DL is getting a 3rd gate?
Probably. Within the next decade or so. And I'd bet this is where most of the new franchise goes. Along with the other one.

Nothing has been announced for Orlando. So far as I know. Things have been mentioned that might add up eventually, but nothing of substance yet. Again, from what I know.

GLaDOS

Nothing has been announced for Orlando. So far as I know. Things have been mentioned that might add up eventually, but nothing of substance yet. Again, from what I know.

Hopefully they come together. Star Wars land needs to happen.

Though I would be ecstatic for a Marvel/Lucas park in DLR.

Pixiedustmaker

"So, what does this mean for Disney’s domestic parks? Actually, right at this moment, not all that much."

http://micechat.com/15079-disney-lu...tm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=disney-lucasfilm-2

Insiders?

WDI, obviously, didn't run the negotiations. This was something the bankers/CEOs did, i.e. Iger, then he'll let WDI make attractions, probably sooner rather than later as 2015 will have Episode 7.

But it is not true to say that there WDI hasn't dreamed up any Star Wars related rides besides Star Tours.

Imagine 2015, SW fans going nuts, Episode 7 all new trilogy. There will be folks waiting in lines for weeks, again.

Condorman

Al Lutz knows as much about the inner-workings of Disney as Obama knows about the ingredients to clafoutis in a French bistro in Marseilles. Lutz eats, breathes and sleeps DL, gets his "insider info" wrong most of the time, and couldn't care less about the rest of the company, its IPs, parks, interests or investments.

Disney will expand on its Star Wars presence in all of its theme parks, and unlike Marvel, it will not run into any roadblocks with pre-existing contracts with other parks right up the road.

MerlinTheGoat

Looking at it rationally, he's probably right. And Star Wars addition is probably 3-5 years out at least, considering how aggressive Disney has been with recent build cycles.

All depends on your definition of "at the moment" is.
Agreed. Basically all the official and rumored projects for WDW specifically are not going to be completed until 2015 at the earliest. Avatar, Cars Land, potential Lucas attractions (Indiana Jones or Star Wars). None have even broken any ground yet and there's no telling when any of them will. And the longer they take to start, the longer it will be before they're finished. And that's if any of them even end up happening at all. Unless Disney actually starts to step up their game and get things done faster as they should (like Universal is doing with Harry Potter 2.0), I don't think WDW is going to get anything actually open to the public any time soon.

Probably. Within the next decade or so. And I'd bet this is where most of the new franchise goes. Along with the other one.

That's too bad. WDW and Hollywood Studios can't wait. They need to get on it immediately.

Disney will expand on its Star Wars presence in all of its theme parks, and unlike Marvel, it will not run into any roadblocks with pre-existing contracts with other parks right up the road.
I'm sure there will be expanded Star Wars presence in theme parks. But they're going to need to make this expansion something of substance. Glorified bathrooms, meet and greets, and new eateries aren't going to cut it. Elaborate rides, specifically the kinds with actual physical sets and figures, would be something of substance. On the caliber of at least Indiana Jones in California or better.
I wouldn't necessarily say Lutz is using his insider info here either, just common sense. Again even if they announce something now and start building immediately, anything of actual substance would take a very long time to actually finish (Disney has trouble finishing even incredibly minor new additions quickly).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom