AKL Savanna view

draybook

Original Poster
Ok, so we're already planning on our return trip for NEXT year, but I was hoping to get some input from you fine folks. We'll have APs so we're going to splurge on our resort next year and the kids decided that they wanted to stay at AKL. My daughter also made it known that anything less than a savanna view was unacceptable to her. So, the question is, is it worth it to upgrade from the regular savanna view to the Arusha view?

draybook

Original Poster
My only issue with it is that we're open-close type folks with the parks, so we really wouldn't be around the resort enough to really treasure the environment.

lostpro9het

My only issue with it is that we're open-close type folks with the parks, so we really wouldn't be around the resort enough to really treasure the environment.
I wonder if a day in a deluxe like Jambo would change that? I was personally amazed at how our 12yo DD wanted to LEAVE MK around noon to go back to Jambo and see the animals, play in the pool and enjoy the crafts Jambo had to offer. Hate to say it but this might be a wait and see dilemma for you. Again, so subjective, I say do it! Your APs give you so much freedom to bounce around as you please and I think your kiddos may be blown away by what Jambo and Kidani offer.

Edit: we too were once open to closers but we also we're die hard POP only kids but things change. We've gone 6 times in the last two years, all deluxe DVC, and haven't thought twice about the change.

DABIGCHEEZ

We are DVC, and have stayed at Kidani Village a few times... it is one of our favs. However(it is my opinion, so disagree ok, but no bashing!) IMO the savanna views are not worth the extra points or money (if paying). There are plenty of places and oppurtunities to see the animals of the savanna. The overview decks, the ground level overlooks, we even had close ups of the giraffees at the simba clubhouse? at Kidani Village. I have just as good pics without paying the extra bucks or using extra points.

Just my .02, which is actually overpriced like everything else at WDW! ;)

seahawk7

My family is also open-close people and we stayed at AKL with a savanna view and liked it. To be able to look onto the savanna from your room with a cup of coffee is such a relaxing, unique experience. Unfortunately, we didn't get to enjoy that view that much since we were always at the parks. Since that trip we always to back to AKL to visit our favorite resort and my kids favorite restaurant. We always thought we would stay at AKL again, but this time, just a couple of days then transfer to a value resort. If we did that, the days at AKL would be just hanging out at the resort and enjoying it, then going into the parks once we transferred to the value resort. Thats my plan, hopefully it helps. Happy Fourth of July!

KingdomofDreams

Ok, so we're already planning on our return trip for NEXT year, but I was hoping to get some input from you fine folks. We'll have APs so we're going to splurge on our resort next year and the kids decided that they wanted to stay at AKL. My daughter also made it known that anything less than a savanna view was unacceptable to her. So, the question is, is it worth it to upgrade from the regular savanna view to the Arusha view?

I personally wouldn't pay the additional cost to upgrade to Arusha. We've reserved savannah view all but one of our stays. That one time was a last minute 3 day trip so I just requested a standard room and we were upgraded to a savannah view (not Arusha). The other times we've always gotten Arusha. That one time we weren't on Arusha we were very pleased. It was quiet and felt very private and we had at least 3 giraffes - including a very young one - and some interesting large birds right outside our room every time we looked out or were on the balcony.

tigger1968

Definitely upgrade to Savannah View. I don't know about the extra for Arusha though. I can only say that two of my three stays at AKL were Savannah View and I find it an amazing plus. Last trip was a July 4th trip with a lot of late nights in the parks and coming back to the resort and that view and the animals was so relaxing. We would hang out on our balcony and watch the animals and unwind and relax before bed. It was great. I say if its within your budget then do it. I don't think you will regret it.

SagamoreBeach

On the other hand, there are many places one can sit and enjoy the animals throughout the resort. I enjoyed the rocking chairs on the patios accessed from the corridors.
-T

Swissmiss

Premium Member
We've stayed twice at AKL and absolutely love it. We've also been incredibly fortunate to have booked standard rooms and both times have ended up in rooms with a savannah view. And while I loved drinking my coffee while sitting on the balcony and observing the animals, I don't feel that we spent enough time in the room to justify the difference between the room costs (and we are not open-close folks though we do tend to start the day early). There is so much to see and do at the resort itself, that even if we were at the resort, we weren't necessarily in our room.

If your daughter really wants a memorable experience with the animals, consider staying in a standard room and using the difference in room costs to splurge on the Wanyama Safari (which is only open to people staying at the AKL - both Jambo and Kidani) - it was an an amazing experience and the fact that it finishes with a meal at Jiko was simply icing on the cake. No matter what your final choice is, I'm sure you will love it!

HouCuseChickie

We stayed at AKL back in September. While we were not overlooking Arusha (although, we could see the very edge of it off in the distance), we did overlook one of the other savannas. I wanted bunk beds, so I paid for pool view and had several savanna options when making my room requests during online check in. It was really nice being able to look out on "a" savanna, but I don't think I'd bother spending the extra $ to ensure I got an Arusha view. We do take break days or sometimes have mid day breaks, so we got to appreciate our view a bit more...and even then, I wouldn't pay the extra for Arusha.

dopeylover

I have not stayed there, but I did get to do a site inspection while I was there for Agent Training, and I did get to go into an Arusha Room. The view was great! But you know where else the view was great? The lobby, the walkway to the Arusha Room where you could step out and sit on a rocking chair and enjoy the view, and literally a million other free places on Animal Kingdom. I guess it all depends on how much time you're going to spend enjoying that view. Personally, I'd stay at Animal Kingdom in a heartbeat, it's a beautiful resort, but I'd skip the extra money and go to a Standard View Room. They have places throughout the resort w/ great views. I'll post pics later b/c I'm not at home.

Bparso87

We r open to close people to but it is worth it. Every morning and night something different is out there is even if it is 20 minutes a day it is worth it.

dopeylover

DSCN0732.JPG
DSCN0732.JPG
DSCN0734.JPG
DSCN0736.JPG
DSCN0738.JPG
DSCN0740.JPG

MaxsDad

AKV is our home resort. The first time we stayed there, we were not DVC'ers, never stayed at a deluxe. We booked a standard and were upgraded (2006). We were on the Uzima side (East side). We feel in love with the place and ended up buying in (See Disney, upgrades work!). Since then I have also had rooms on Arusha (center) and Sunset (west). I would rate them Arusha, Uzima, Sunset. I should add that when I had a Sunset view, it was club level, and we were so high up that the tree tops obstructed distant views. At Uzima, we were down low and could see across the whole area outside our room.

Let's say the price difference is 30 per night, and you are there a week. Personally, I would be more than fine with either of the others and keep the 200 bucks. At Jambo, there are many public viewing areas for Arusha, most with seating. Arusha is the most accessible savannah at the resort in fact.

Be sure and explore the resort while you are there. There are some great details.

worldfanatic

I understand people making the argument that you can see the Savannah from other spots at the resort.
But for me, the whole magic is being able to step out on your balcony at any time and see it. Even at 3am when I'm getting up to take a leak. LOL

Our only stay at AKL before the coming one in September put us on the Sunset Savannah, and it really couldn't have been any better.
Constant animals outside our balcony.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom