AKL savanna view… blown away!

tired_photog

Original Poster
8F1241EB-F56F-400A-81D7-7433BDDF4DB7.jpeg

19 animals in this one photo! Checked into a savanna view room at Animal Kingdom Lodge for the first time ever today and I’m completely blown away. For people questioning whether it’s worth the extra $$ I can’t begin to explain how impressive it really is.

MickeyLuv'r

The resort is very nice. I would probably stay there more often if the transportation options were better. It is too bad guests can't easily walk to AK from AKL, or some other fun type of transportation. Would be a big plus if WDW could come up with a creative way to go between AK and AKL; something fun like Skyliner.

The dining there is also better than most other WDW hotels. Long ago, WDW restaurants used to provide recipes upon request. This forum has is a very old recipe thread that has multiple AKL recipes including: Zebra Domes (post #38), Coconut Curried Chicken Stew (post #47), and squash soup recipes. I've never made the zebra domes, as it looks very complicated. This thread is a trove of old WDW recipes from that era though:

I have made the squash soup and chowder, but modify the recipe because it calls for cheese, cream, whole milk, AND butter. In ample quantities. I reduce those, and it still tastes great.

Most of the recipes are for foods that no longer found at WDW, but a few are.

england1

Morning, I don't really get why people say the Resort is to far away, we have stayed there loads, Magic Kingdom is a 18 minute air con bus ride away, which never used to be packed apart from coming home after the parks close.
People stand in the heat for 2 hours for a 2 minute ride.
Epcot is about 10 min
Hollywood Studio is about 12 min
Animal Kingdom 2 min I would love to be able to walk to the Animal Kingdom or a tram ride,
Hoping to be back this year as not been since 2019

Martin

Hockey89

Morning, I don't really get why people say the Resort is to far away, we have stayed there loads, Magic Kingdom is a 18 minute air con bus ride away, which never used to be packed apart from coming home after the parks close.
People stand in the heat for 2 hours for a 2 minute ride.
Epcot is about 10 min
Hollywood Studio is about 12 min
Animal Kingdom 2 min I would love to be able to walk to the Animal Kingdom or a tram ride,
Hoping to be back this year as not been since 2019

Martin
I agree and we used minny vans everywhere, so it was so easy....

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I did a Savannah view room once, probably wouldn't pay extra for it again. I don't spend that much time in my room, and there are plenty of other public areas in the hotel where you can view the animals.

HouCuseChickie

We've had a similar experience as @Tony the Tigger. We've stayed at AKL several times. We've never paid for a savanna view, but online check-in usually gives you a chance to request at least a partial view. The one time I booked a pool view bunk bed room, instead of a partial view room request, we were given the option of a Uzima savanna or Sunset savanna view options. The last couple of times we were there, we were in a standard view and requested "partial view" in our room request. I realized I could see the corner of Arusha, but had a full view of Uzima. In all cases, there were usually a minimum of 10 animals right outside of our balcony and another 10+ in the distance. It's led me to believe that "savanna view" is strictly referring to Arusha. Obviously, you do run the risk of a parking lot view by booking "standard view," but for that kind of a price difference, I'll take my chances.

note2001

For those who just see animals as things or decor, they won't get it. Savanna View will be lost on them.

For the rest of us, the behavior of the various animals is the best. Sit out with your evening drink and you may note that the fluffy eared red river hogs bounce around and behave like puppies as they run to food and play with each other. The Zebra are akin to the police of the savanna, keeping everyone moving along, they've even been known to help coral the giraffe away from work the cast members are doing. The crowned cranes are absolutely full of themselves, peeking at reflections whenever they get a chance. The giraffe are just incredible and gentle... and that's just a few of the critters inhabiting the savannas.

SV rooms are well worth the price

Last edited:

Ayla

I did a Savannah view room once, probably wouldn't pay extra for it again. I don't spend that much time in my room, and there are plenty of other public areas in the hotel where you can view the animals.
We've had a savannah view a couple times at AKL and loved it. I'd definitely book it again.

rlm919

For those that have stayed in both Jambo House and Kidani Village, do you Kidani to be really far/inconvenient from the main building restaurants, pool, etc?

I’m wondering if I should explore opportunity to move from a studio savanna @ Kidani to the same in Jambo….

Tiki Traveler

Staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge is on our bucket list. Would probably include one or two resort days to soak up our surroundings. Someday!

tired_photog

Original Poster
For those that have stayed in both Jambo House and Kidani Village, do you Kidani to be really far/inconvenient from the main building restaurants, pool, etc?

I’m wondering if I should explore opportunity to move from a studio savanna @ Kidani to the same in Jambo….
I’ve never stayed at Kidani but we did make the walk over to the Samawati Springs pool from the main pool at Jambo House and was surprised how long the walk felt. Time is the most valuable thing on a Disney vacation and I think making that walk multiple times during a stay would just be too much. At least that’s my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom