AKL lovers!

OneofThree

Stayed at AKL last September for the first time, and just fell in love with the place. For us (people who have been going to WDW for decades), the location is actually a plus. We don't stress over rope-dropping or having to see everything, every trip, and so what little time is added by using the bus system isn't a big deal. The fact that the resort is tucked away makes for a great escape. Dining is among the very best Disney has to offer when considering resort-for-resort, and the room (we stayed club level savanna view) was excellent.

Club Cooloholic

There is an african music hour now, which seems to have replaced the drum circle. it sounds like kids still get a chance to play some instruments though!
I wonder if they did this because I often read people that stayed in rooms near the lobby complained about the drum circle noise. I hope that want the case.

correcaminos

There is an african music hour now, which seems to have replaced the drum circle. it sounds like kids still get a chance to play some instruments though!
Oh I missed that - it wasn't under where I thought it was. Bummer it's at Jambo. I enjoyed doing it and staying to listen to the talks after in Kidani. I like the campfire at Kidani a bit more too so that'll be too much back and forth. Hmmm.....

Parker in NYC

It's a one of a kind resort for the U.S. much less WDW. We've only stayed at Jambo House. The Arusha rock viewing area out on the savanna at dusk is pure magic. Be sure to speak with the friendly cast member animal guides out there. I've learned more from them than in a day at AK. Then, sit around the fire pit outside, or inside, located one level up in the lobby. Essential AKL relaxation.

The lobby is my personal favorite of the resorts. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Wilderness Lodge but it doesn't have that gorgeous sculptural window looking out to the savanna. And there's colorful artwork everywhere. The space never feels stagnant. And of course, there's the smells emanating from the best Buffet at WDW, Boma. Walking into the resort through the whoosh of automatic doors, the scent hits you and it's just warm and comforting.

Onto the rooms. Because you have access to the other areas of the hotel, it isn't essential that you get a savanna view. We've been just as happy in a standard view because we simply don't spend enough time in the room to take advantage of it. And one thing I've noticed in my recent trips, there is always someone smoking on a nearby balcony. It's especially tacky since I'm sure it's extra prohibited there because of the animals. But anyway, splurge if you can. Waking up to a giraffe eating breakfast outside your window is kind of awe inspiring. But if you're always returning to the parks late at night, even though there are always some animals grazing or sleeping, there's not as much to see. We do like going to the various outdoor seating areas located in little patios scattered through the hotel wings and taking in the open air for the same views.

If the zero-entry pool isn't one of the largest at WDW, it sure feels like it. Again, really peaceful, I've never noticed as many kids there as in, say, the Contemporary, Poly, or Boardwalk. This could be because of AKL's distance to MK. And a bonus is at AKL you can walk over after a swim and look at the flamingo pond just a few steps away.

Back to the food. Boma. Essential. Jiko. Essential. The Mara, one of the best quick services at the Disney deluxes with healthier options and those Zebra Dome desserts. People love 'em or hate 'em. I love 'em. We always pick up a pack to "toast" our arrival day.

Finally, about the distance. People say it's isolated. But that's one of the many reasons why I love staying there! We love feeling cut off from the sturm and drang while in a completely classic WDW experience. The rooms have been updated to include Lion King details -- not my favorite turn of events -- but retain their beauty and faux-exotic charm.

And the buses are better than any of the Epcot or MK resorts. My personal favorite buses are from Port Orleans French Quarter (1st on and 1st off) but AKL is a close second.

Last edited:

*Jules*

In the Parks
No
I have only stayed there once, but it quickly became one of my favorite resorts. Just walking around the resort and looking at the Savannah is a treat in itself. The restaurants there are top notch and the pool is also very nice.

Ghostdog

Everything about this resort is FANTASTIC! We did splurge a few years ago for a savanna view, the first room was not the view I paid for so I asked for a room change and was granted it. The room we ended up with was absolutely fantastic. Our room on the third floor had a watering hole just outside our balcony and we saw LOTS of animals. The giraffes every morning were my favorite!! There was also a viewing balcony down the hall from us that had tables and chairs and also rocking chairs to sit and view the animals. There are numerous location throughout the resort to sit and view the wildlife.

The pool and bar area are fabulous! All the table service restaurants are top notch, Sanaa is our families FAVORITE!!

You will not be disappointed booking a room at AKL. Here are a few pics taken from our balcony, enjoy the view! (these photos were NOT zoomed in when taken - we were that close)
1583341837913.png

1583341894344.png

Last edited:

Simba’s Mom

I cannot recommend the Wanyama Safari enough. It is through the savannas at AKL, and in has dinner at Jiko. It isn't cheap, but it was really cool, especially when our jeep had to stop for awhile until a giraffe would move for us.
Yes, I agree! I've been fortunate to do it twice. I loved it so much the first time that when I won money shortly before my second time, there was no doubt about how I wanted to spend it.

boymom

I'm surprising my husband with 2 nights in October before we move to Shades of Green for a week and I cannot wait! It will be about halfway through a yearlong military mobilization for him so I'm planning to use those two days to relax by the pool, explore the resort, and have wonderful meals before we have a week with friends and children at the parks.

Ghostdog

I'm surprising my husband with 2 nights in October before we move to Shades of Green for a week and I cannot wait! It will be about halfway through a yearlong military mobilization for him so I'm planning to use those two days to relax by the pool, explore the resort, and have wonderful meals before we have a week with friends and children at the parks.
You will definitely have a great two days at this resort. Thank you for your husbands service!

Mickey5150

Simple answer to the question, AKL is the most amazing resort on Disney property. People may have favorite resorts but none of them are as incredible as AKL. If we weren't an only bed and bathroom resort family we would always stay at AKL. Just be careful with the advice to book standard because if you get on the 1st floor of the giraffe trail of rooms they are the worst in all of Disney. Their balcony overlooks the pathway to the buses, which happens to be covered which puts the room in a perpetual state of night. If I was sitting on my balcony I got to look right at the ceiling of the walkway. Thankfully I'm never in my room and the resort is so an incredible place to explore. Even when not staying there we visit at least once a trip even if we aren't eating.

SpiteriFam

The place was great for a number of reasons:

Pool and surrounding area was very nice.

Multiple good food options.

lobby is amazing

Bunk beds was perfect with 2 kids

We got a partial savanna room, but even so animals can be seen throughout

It felt like a relaxed escape from the bedlam of the parks.

it was the lowest priced deluxe

Although it’s further to MK it didn’t feel a major issue and is obviously fine for the other areas. The extra few minutes on the bus were worth it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom