AKL best standard view room?

MagicKatMe

Original Poster
Does anyone have advice for a great standard room at Jambo House at AKL? I'm looking on touring plans so I can request a certain floor/area, etc, but I'd love input from folks who have actually stayed there.

The view would be my top priority (partially blocked on the Savannah side? Just something green would be great.). Of course I'd love closer to the lobby and transportation rather than farther away, but I'm okay with walking. I'm not fussy about anything else.

Realgrumpy

We were in room 2218. We booked standard view but we had a view of the animals. It was a perfect room! Very close to the lobby. Giraffes and zebras outside our balcony every night. It was Jambo House, Kudu Trail, Sunset Savannah.

Nottamus

We are DVC with AKL being home, and Jambo being our preferred of the 2.....

THAT being said, when we've had standard view, the pool side was pretty nice for a few reasons..
1) the view's landscaping just looks real nice
2) all the food places on that side, with little walkways all over make it convenient

NOW with THAT being said, the savannah is great for animal viewing, but you can get that from a bunch of areas around the resort.
It IS pretty cool to wake up and have a giraffe hanging out by your balcony...

its all opinion and preference,,,we love it there and also chose close to Lobby when possible. (lobby is amazing!)

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Sorry, I only stayed pool view once. But Touring Plans is a smart move! I used them for my last trip at the Yacht Club and had a great room!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What you will want to do is call the reservation center and request a room with a Savannah view.

There are a number of rooms at the resort that have either a poor or obstructed view of the savannah that are now classified as standard view. If you request a room with a savannah view, you will often be put in one of those rooms.

MagicKatMe

Original Poster
We are DVC with AKL being home, and Jambo being our preferred of the 2.....

THAT being said, when we've had standard view, the pool side was pretty nice for a few reasons..
1) the view's landscaping just looks real nice
2) all the food places on that side, with little walkways all over make it convenient

NOW with THAT being said, the savannah is great for animal viewing, but you can get that from a bunch of areas around the resort.
It IS pretty cool to wake up and have a giraffe hanging out by your balcony...

its all opinion and preference,,,we love it there and also chose close to Lobby when possible. (lobby is amazing!)

Ooh, love the feedback on the pool area. Thank you! And good point about the lobby!

MagicKatMe

Original Poster
What you will want to do is call the reservation center and request a room with a Savannah view.

There are a number of rooms at the resort that have either a poor or obstructed view of the savannah that are now classified as standard view. If you request a room with a savannah view, you will often be put in one of those rooms.

Would I ask for a savannah view or an obstructed savannah view? It feels weird to ask for something more than I paid for....

HouCuseChickie

I know room request options online have changed over the years, but we've had savanna options come up during online check in when booked for both pool view and standard view. Not sure what the current room request options are that will come up, but we were able to request a savanna view without actually being booked in a savanna view. I would imagine calling and asking to have this added to your reservation is essentially the same idea.

MagicKatMe

Original Poster
I know room request options online have changed over the years, but we've had savanna options come up during online check in when booked for both pool view and standard view. Not sure what the current room request options are that will come up, but we were able to request a savanna view without actually being booked in a savanna view. I would imagine calling and asking to have this added to your reservation is essentially the same idea.

This is excellent to know! Thank you.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That is why it is still best to call. Online is fickle and it changes all the time. One month you will be able to type a request, the next month you might have a pull down menu with a few preselected options or no ability to make requests at all.

Club Cooloholic

That is why it is still best to call. Online is fickle and it changes all the time. One month you will be able to type a request, the next month you might have a pull down menu with a few preselected options or no ability to make requests at all.
I still think your best bet to try to get what you want is to check in at the desk. I have stayed there 3 times in non busy times, all three times they put us in a better room without asking, but I had a friend who was not(and he even paid rack rate!) but did after he made the request.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I still think your best bet to try to get what you want is to check in at the desk. I have stayed there 3 times in non busy times, all three times they put us in a better room without asking, but I had a friend who was not(and he even paid rack rate!) but did after he made the request.
Putting in the request prior to arriving gets the ball rolling. This is especially true if the resort is at or near capacity. If you wait until you are at the desk to do it, the chance is greater that want you want will not be available. This is especially true if you check in later in the day.

You can always ask for a change at the front desk regardless of what you request, but having your preferences noted on your reservation beforehand lowers the chance of you needing to do that.

Club Cooloholic

Putting in the request prior to arriving gets the ball rolling. This is especially true if the resort is at or near capacity. If you wait until you are at the desk to do it, the chance is greater that want you want will not be available. This is especially true if you check in later in the day.

You can always ask for a change at the front desk regardless of what you request, but having your preferences noted on your reservation beforehand lowers the chance of you needing to do that.
I wasn't disputing putting in the request. More that when you arrive checking in at the desk is sometimes better than online check in if you have specific wants

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
I wasn't disputing putting in the request. More that when you arrive checking in at the desk is sometimes better than online check in if you have specific wants

The best way would be to phone in your request and get it added to your reservation. That way you can explain what you want; the room assigner is then guaranteed to see it and you can be more specific than the vague on-line check-in. You may get it.

If you don’t, then you can always speak to the front desk. You still may be out of luck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom