Akershus now a corporate lounge?

TikibirdLand

Back in the day we ate at the Norway buffet. It is an acquired taste but the different kinds of herring was awesome.
took my kids there once for a princess character meal. They wouldn't eat ANYTHING they had except the chicken nuggets. I know, says more about their parents than them :p. Well, we didn't care much for the food either. So, not going to be missed by us.

Heppenheimer

For all of its reputation as a region of bland food, the re-invention of Scandinavian (and Finnish) cuisine was a major food trend in Europe earlier last decade. Copenhagen in particular suddenly had a few 3- Michelin starred restaurants, including what was the most highly rated restaurant on the continent, Noma. From 2010-2014, I made several trips to the region and only Norway's food scene failed to impress (although I understand even they've stepped up their game recently). The rich food of Finland was a particular surprise to me. And one of the best breakfasts I ever ate was in Sweden.

For as innovative as Scandinavian chefs have become in the last 10 years, it would be even more of a shame if Akershus gets further dumbed down to appeal to bland American tastes. The meal I ate there in 1989 really opened my palate and exposed me to wonderful flavors and textures I had never previously experienced.

jpinkc

My kids loved the Akershus and we were pleasantly surprised by it. I have one picky eater and even she found stuff she liked after being made to try some. We also thought the interaction with the kids was a bit better than at Cindys

Figments Friend

Last year I enjoyed being able to go inside and finally be able to explore the interior after all these years of walking by it.
It was nice to see.
Never dined there as by the time I decided to try it, they had changed the menu and switched to the character meals.

Last autumn it was a 'relaxation station' where Guests could go and sit in air conditioned comfort while taking their masks off.
This was my opportunity to finally be able to check it out....and not have to pay $65 to get in the door!
No food was served, as the place was closed for business, but it was a nice place to take a break from the heat.

As a long term EPCOT Center fan, I enjoyed seeing the interior after all this time.
Pretty nice...the woodwork, stained glass elements, and tapestries.

-

UNCgolf

Attachments

• Akershus-Company-Lounge_02-1970840-1200x900.jpg
    Akershus-Company-Lounge_02-1970840-1200x900.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 192

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
This is the supposed signage in question:
@wdwmagic or @peter11435 any idea who can access this? Only employees and/or members? Or is it for any guest?

Could this just be the continuation of the Relaxation Station (just sponsored more heavily) that Akershus became during Covid reopen and not a long term change?
When I saw the picture of the old Akershus sign in (Stuff that is Gone) my heart dropped!!!
But after seeing this picture, I am not panicking.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Could this just be the continuation of the Relaxation Station (just sponsored more heavily) that Akershus became during Covid reopen and not a long term change?
When I saw the picture of the old Akershus sign in (Stuff that is Gone) my heart dropped!!!
But after seeing this picture, I am not panicking.
I was hoping we would have more info but the case has gone cold

SpoiledBlueMilk

I loved it as a rest station during the COVID restrictions last time I was there. Great place to take a break. The only reason to eat there usually is to get the breakfast reservation so you can eat quick and be first in line for Frozen.

DoleWhipDrea

I've only been in there to enjoy the relaxation station and I really loved seeing the decor and artistry on the inside.

Nordic food can be excellent and full of variety. It's hard when menus have to be dumbed down because visitors are so afraid to venture outside of their comfort zone.

...as a side note, not that this means anything, but the webpage for the restaurant is still on Disney's website: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/epcot/akershus-royal-banquet-hall/menus/

Last edited:

Wngo905

In the Parks
No

JohnD

So closed as a restaurant, becomes mask relaxation station, and now a lounge for Florida Blue members and employees.... shm
Might be reopening as a restaurant but how long will that take? What is to say that come end of November it does not continue on?
I'm trying to figure out whether I get to use it. Technically, the lounge is for "Florida Blue Medicare". I work for the State of Florida and they provide the state PPO health plan. I'm on an HMO affiliated with Blue Cross, Blue Shield. Not necessarily sure it's "Florida Blue", though.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
I'm trying to figure out whether I get to use it. Technically, the lounge is for "Florida Blue Medicare". I work for the State of Florida and they provide the state PPO health plan. I'm on an HMO affiliated with Blue Cross, Blue Shield. Not necessarily sure it's "Florida Blue", though.
If there is any chance you are, you could always try the website to get the access. Good luck. Never turn down free snacks:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom