Akershus now a corporate lounge?

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
EDIT: location now has signs posted for Florida Blue Lounge. Not sure if this is only for employees or if anyone can use the space and it’s simply hosted by Florida Blue.

From the site that has news today. Not sure if this is a new permanent design or a placeholder for the more intricate one while it’s refurbished. Also notice the name change.

7E27AAB5-6E13-46CD-A61C-5F73D6826727.jpeg
BBF8FAA2-9D08-4D67-8B40-8A0AE2D908B2.jpeg

Last edited:

bpiper

The plot thickens. I wonder what the reason is for going back to the original name. It could be that the princesses aren’t coming back so they want to drop the Royal Banquet Hall bit, but the princess banner is still attached to it. Hmmm
Looks like the princess banner is just draped over the bar and stitched closed. You could have that off in less than 5 minutes, sooner if you didn't want to reuse it.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
The plot thickens. I wonder what the reason is for going back to the original name. It could be that the princesses aren’t coming back so they want to drop the Royal Banquet Hall bit, but the princess banner is still attached to it. Hmmm

One could really hope that was the situation.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Coming soon: a family-style non-character meal at Akershus featuring rolls, a salad, a platter of bland meats with Scandinavian names, and a plate of dry desserts. Bonus points if the meal actually includes Swedish meatballs, lingonberry preserves, or herring.

So you've been to Norway ? :) IMHO to my tastebuds, that's an average traditional meal. Maybe my tastebuds are jaded and lack sensitivity, but most Scandinavian food is spice and flavor adverse unless its strong tasting fish.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
So you've been to Norway ? :) IMHO to my tastebuds, that's an average traditional meal. Maybe my tastebuds are jaded and lack sensitivity, but most Scandinavian food is spice and flavor adverse unless its strong tasting fish.
I was going to say, I spent some time living in Norway and that sounds pretty accurate if you add some fish lol

UNCgolf

I hate that princess storybook banner so much.

It's never even been necessary (or at least hasn't in a long time) since it's not like you can just walk up and eat there without a reservation. It detracts from the signage for no benefit.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

I've been to Stockholm, Sweden twice, but didn't make it to Norway. Actually, I found the food (except for the herring -- fishy fish is just not my thing) to be absolutely delicious and very flavorful even if the seasonings were more delicate, and I tried everything I could! Granted, I was there to visit a family friend who has a fantastic palate, knew all the best and most authentic restaurants, and is a wonderful cook, so perhaps I had an upgraded food experience while there. Memorable dishes included cheese-and-knackebrod with shaved horsemeat (an appetizer - not a fan of the horsemeat but I can't say it lacked flavor, LOL), homemade pea soup and pork belly pancakes, braised reindeer with mushroom gravy and lingonberries, a roasted moose filet with red wine sauce, cheddar beer soup served in a homemade dill-and-olive breadbowl, more baked salmon with dill than one could shake a stick at, and some of the best pastries and desserts I've ever tasted -- vanilla-cloudberry ice cream with cloudberry liqueur, and of course kanelbullar. My family had lunch at Akershus a few years ago, and I was really disappointed, in that I felt only the cold buffet (appetizer) portion paid any sort of tribute to the fantastic food I'd enjoyed in Scandinavia. The rest of the menu was just very Americanized and poorly-executed. I fear that if a family-style conversion is made (which I joked about in my post, but honestly believe Disney will probably do), similar to what has been done in other restaurants, the last whisper of Scandinavian-inspired flavor will be gone.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I've been to Stockholm twice, but didn't make it to Norway. Actually, I found the food (except for the herring -- fishy fish is just not my thing) to be absolutely delicious and very flavorful even if the seasonings were more delicate, and I tried everything I could! Granted, I was there to visit a family friend who has a fantastic palate, knew all the best and most authentic restaurants, and is a wonderful cook, so perhaps I had an upgraded food experience while there. Memorable dishes included cheese-and-knackebrod with shaved horsemeat (an appetizer - not a fan of the horsemeat but I can't say it lacked flavor, LOL), homemade pea soup and pork belly pancakes, braised reindeer with mushroom gravy and lingonberries, a roasted moose filet with red wine sauce, cheddar beer soup served in a homemade dill-and-olive breadbowl, more baked salmon with dill than one could shake a stick at, and some of the best pastries and desserts I've ever tasted -- vanilla-cloudberry ice cream with cloudberry liqueur, and of course kanelbullar. My family had lunch at Akershus a few years ago, and I was really disappointed, in that I felt only the cold buffet (appetizer) portion paid any sort of tribute to the fantastic food I'd enjoyed in Scandinavia. The rest of the menu was just very Americanized and poorly-executed. I fear that if a family-style conversion is made (which I joked about in my post, but honestly believe Disney will probably do), similar to what has been done in other restaurants, the last whisper of Scandinavian-inspired flavor will be gone.

Norway is a bit different in that "classic" foods are based on mostly fish, mutton, cheese, and loads of starches mainly potatoes in everything. "Typical" dining wouldn't fit the Disney sales model as only one meal of the day is really substantial (Dinner or middag) with the rest being more snack sized. Sweden and Finland cuisine is very similar.

Sir_Cliff

Norway is a bit different in that "classic" foods are based on mostly fish, mutton, cheese, and loads of starches mainly potatoes in everything. "Typical" dining wouldn't fit the Disney sales model as only one meal of the day is really substantial (Dinner or middag) with the rest being more snack sized. Sweden and Finland cuisine is very similar.
True. I will also agree with @Weather_Lady that the food is not bad or tasteless as such, though generally fairly simple. Not sure if I am using the Danish rather than the Norwegian term for this, but nothing beats a good Smørrebrød for lunch! I guess it is just more or less an open-faced sandwich with toppings like shrimp or smoked salmon, but it is very tasty, filling, and healthy!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
True. I will also agree with @Weather_Lady that the food is not bad or tasteless as such, though generally fairly simple. Not sure if I am using the Danish rather than the Norwegian term for this, but nothing beats a good Smørrebrød for lunch! I guess it is just more or less an open-faced sandwich with toppings like shrimp or smoked salmon, but it is very tasty, filling, and healthy!

Matpakke vs Räksmörgås ? Meh... eat the mellomleggspapir instead... that at least has substance.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
New sign up today calling it the Florida Blue Lounge. Anyone have any info? Unsure if it’s a corporate lounge or if open to the public.

Lilofan

Coming soon: a family-style non-character meal at Akershus featuring rolls, a salad, a platter of bland meats with Scandinavian names (but no Scandinavian ingredients), and a plate of dry desserts. Bonus points if the meal actually includes Swedish meatballs, lingonberry preserves, or herring.
Back in the day we ate at the Norway buffet. It is an acquired taste but the different kinds of herring was awesome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom