AK on a rainy day?

seasalt49

We will be at WDW this week and have planned to be at Animal Kingdom all day on Tuesday. We are doing the new Up Close with Rhinos tour in the late morning and then have fast passes for the afternoon. As of right now, it looks like it's going to rain all afternoon/evening with chance of thunderstorms. Should we switch up our plans? It's our first trip, so I only know what I've read on forums and blogs, which is that Animal Kingdom is miserable in the rain. True? Worth switching plans around last minute to do MK instead? Thanks for any feedback!

Tony the Tigger

We will be at WDW this week and have planned to be at Animal Kingdom all day on Tuesday. We are doing the new Up Close with Rhinos tour in the late morning and then have fast passes for the afternoon. As of right now, it looks like it's going to rain all afternoon/evening with chance of thunderstorms. Should we switch up our plans? It's our first trip, so I only know what I've read on forums and blogs, which is that Animal Kingdom is miserable in the rain. True? Worth switching plans around last minute to do MK instead? Thanks for any feedback!

There are some days where rain is steady for hours, but more often than not, in Florida the weather may show the symbol for thunderstorms in the afternoon, and the storm blows in and out in a half hour. Then it’s just cloudy or you may get another short one.

I don’t remember specifically being at AK in the rain.

Bring Dollar Tree ponchos! They fit in your bag or cargo shorts pocket, and are disposable (being $1 each.)

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I'd see exactly what the forecast is the night before to decide. You can get a lot done in the morning hours if its not going to start until later in the day. Its my least favorite park to visit in the rain but if you are there you can take your time going through the shops... there are some unique items at AK to purchase. You do have Nemo, Lion King, Dino, ITTBAB, that can be done despite the rain. And if its not a long lasting rainy day then after the rain youll more likely have a less crowded park to enjoy.
On a real rainy day I'm more inclined to go to EP where I can spend more time inside to explore, shop and experience each pavilion. The CM's are great to interact with with stories of their countries and their experiences.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Weather.com and Accuweather both say Scattered Thunderstorms - between 40%-55% chance

Wunderground says the same

Partly cloudy early. Scattered thunderstorms developing in the afternoon. High 83F. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
Showers in the evening, then partly cloudy overnight. Low 57F. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40%

Upvote 0

seasalt49

Original Poster
Oh my goodness, I guess that shows me how quickly things change! Yesterday morning it was 80% chance for afternoon and evening and sounded much worse than this. Thanks for the reality check!

Upvote 0

seasalt49

Original Poster
I'd see exactly what the forecast is the night before to decide. You can get a lot done in the morning hours if its not going to start until later in the day. Its my least favorite park to visit in the rain but if you are there you can take your time going through the shops... there are some unique items at AK to purchase. You do have Nemo, Lion King, Dino, ITTBAB, that can be done despite the rain. And if its not a long lasting rainy day then after the rain youll more likely have a less crowded park to enjoy.
On a real rainy day I'm more inclined to go to EP where I can spend more time inside to explore, shop and experience each pavilion. The CM's are great to interact with with stories of their countries and their experiences.

Thank you! Less crowded sounds good to us! And it sounds like the forecast has already improved from what I saw yesterday so I will definitely just keep an eye as we get closer.

Upvote 0

seasalt49

Original Poster
There are some days where rain is steady for hours, but more often than not, in Florida the weather may show the symbol for thunderstorms in the afternoon, and the storm blows in and out in a half hour. Then it’s just cloudy or you may get another short one.

I don’t remember specifically being at AK in the rain.

Bring Dollar Tree ponchos! They fit in your bag or cargo shorts pocket, and are disposable (being $1 each.)
Thank you! I think I overreacted to what I saw initially because it doesn't sound like it's going to be nearly as bad. Where we live, it tends to rain steadily and the "rain" symbol on the weather app usually means a wet day all around. Definitely bringing ponchos, though!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom