AK Name Change

AdLibSean

Original Poster
Back when AK first opened, Discovery Island was known as Safari Village. I read somewhere that there was confusion among guests and thats what led to the name change. What was the confusion about? Also, I dunno about anyone else, but after a few trips, AK starts to grow on you. At first, all I heard was negative things about it, and when I first visited, I wasn't BLOWN away, but now, I think its a beautiful park. I look forward to going back, even if it doesn't have the attraction count that MK does! Later guys!

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I really love DAK too. By the way, did you know that "Disney's Animal Kingdom" was not the original name for the park? In fact the park (during the design stage) was actually going to be called "Disney's Wild Kingdom". But then insurance comapny Mutual of Omaha objected, since they used to have an animal based show called "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom" that aired Sunday nights, I believe right before The Wonderful World of Disney. Just a bit of trivia.

Pioneer Hall

I think it was actually going to be Called "Disney's Wild Animal Kingdom" but when all the plans did not go trough for opening day they changed the name.

donaldfan

The name was changed from Safari Village because the Safari is actually in Africa. Guests were looking for the Safari in the wrong place.

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by AdLibSean
Back when AK first opened, Discovery Island was known as Safari Village. I read somewhere that there was confusion among guests and thats what led to the name change

Discovery Island was the name of the island in Bay Lake, near MK. You used to be able to take a boat to it for a small, additional fee. As I recall, it had animals and "guides" on it...I went there about 12-15 years ago.

Scooter

Does anyone know why The name Conservation Station got changed to Rafiki's Planet watch?

I mean the whole place is about Animal Conservation...why CHANGE it?:veryconfu

because few people were bothering to take the train back there. they felt that naming it after a popular character would draw more people back there. from what i've heard it worked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom