AK Lodge VS. Wilderness Lodge

cbusdisneyguy

Original Poster
We are booked for a stay in the Wilderness Lodge from 9-20 to 9-29 for our honeymoon. But my partner has a huge thing for African animals. Our budget is keeping us in a standard room at the Wilderness Lodge, but for about the same price we can change it to a standard room at AK Lodge.

We already have reservations at both Jiko and Sanaa during our stay, but I'm worried that with a standard view room we wouldn't have a great view of the animals, if at all, and that might tarnish our stay.

Can you guys give me recommendations about which hotel we should ultimately go with. Thanks!

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
If your partner has "a huge thing for African animals," then stay at AK Lodge and it's not even close. People after me are going to chime in about how you should pay for a savanna view or not bother, but that's not necessary if it's not in your budget. This was my view from a "standard" room in April.

uJsXm3Kh.jpg

Even if you're not so lucky to have such a great standard view room, there are plenty of public animal viewing areas around the resort. That, combined with you DAKL reservations (I'd add Boma for good measure) means DAKL is the place for you.

ToTBellHop

If your partner has "a huge thing for African animals," then stay at AK Lodge and it's not even close. People after me are going to chime in about how you should pay for a savanna view or not bother, but that's not necessary if it's not in your budget. This was my view from a "standard" room in April.

uJsXm3Kh.jpg

Even if you're not so lucky to have such a great standard view room, there are plenty of public animal viewing areas around the resort. That, combined with you DAKL reservations (I'd add Boma for good measure) means DAKL is the place for you.
Agreed. Also--a recommendation to the OP. If you select standard view, commonly when online check-in becomes available 60 days out, if savannah rooms are still available, they will include in your potential requests one of the savannahs. Request it and you have a good chance of getting a "free" savannah view room.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I agree with everyone I would go for AKL if it's the same price and your partner LOVES African theme/animals. Tbe resort and grounds is absolutely beautiful!! Wilderness Lodge is as well but no animals to look at etc. There is plenty of viewing areas even if you do not get a room that you can see them etc. Also a tidbit i don't know if your Sanaa reservation is for lunch or dinner but I recommend during daylight so you can get a beautiful view of the Savannah while dining. Jiko is also a delicious choice that you have chosen. If you want a great breakfast option Boma is a must do for us as well and our fave breakfast buffet on property. :)

cbusdisneyguy

Original Poster
Thank you all for the tips! I think we are going to go ahead and switch it up and do AKL. My partner really does love the African animals, and he drags me along to our zoo all the time to see their new Africa exhibit!

I'm really excited as this is our first visit together, and his first visit since he was 10 or so.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Thank you all for the tips! I think we are going to go ahead and switch it up and do AKL. My partner really does love the African animals, and he drags me along to our zoo all the time to see their new Africa exhibit!

I'm really excited as this is our first visit together, and his first visit since he was 10 or so.
Your welcome! Congrats to both of you by the way!!! Hope you both have an amazing honeymoon!! :)

HauntedMansionFLA

You can always let them know you are on your honeymoon when you check in. They could give you an upgrade. The resort is beautiful. You won't regret it. They have night vision googles to view the animals. There are cast members that are from Africa and are happy to answer questions. Very magical place.

DisneyPrincess5

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon!
We have stayed at both resorts, having stayed at WL for our honeymoon.

We ADORED WL for many reasons: great quick service and sit down dining, beautiful ambiance, loved the wilderness theme, we loved the location near MK and loved taking the boat there, and had a great view overlooking the pool with a view of the sunrise or set (can't recall). We enjoyed AKL for the savannah view , beautiful room, and the great food and lobby. The one thing we did not like about it was it was too far and separated from our favorite parks.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one. Whatever you chose, enjoy and again congrats.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
We ADORED WL for many reasons: great quick service and sit down dining, beautiful ambiance, loved the wilderness theme, we loved the location near MK and loved taking the boat there, and had a great view overlooking the pool with a view of the sunrise or set (can't recall).
Hm, I always felt like QS is the one area where Wilderness Lodge is "just okay." It's definitely fine enough quality, but I prefer the unique offerings over at The Mara.

We enjoyed AKL for the savannah view , beautiful room, and the great food and lobby. The one thing we did not like about it was it was too far and separated from our favorite parks.
This is a common misconception, and I've even seen it on "professional" trip planning sites. AKL is closer to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios (and obviously DAK itself) than Wilderness Lodge. Yes, WL is closer to MK, but I'm responding to your use of the word "parks" (plural). MK is the only one to which WL is closer.

DisneyPrincess5

This is a common misconception, and I've even seen it on "professional" trip planning sites. AKL is closer to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios (and obviously DAK itself) than Wilderness Lodge. Yes, WL is closer to MK, but I'm responding to your use of the word "parks" (plural). MK is the only one to which WL is closer.
Whatever the mileage is, we felt like we were separated compared to our stays at every other resort we have been at and did not like the feeling. MK is in fact where we spend most time so it is farthest from that. But felt it was far from others too. We also drove every day which may have made it feel a certain way.

ibisti

I think my family and I must be in the minority as we didn't like AKL that much. I would stay at the WL for quite a few reasons. We found AKL to be a bit claustrophobic and dark and being a more recent Disney hotel it has a lot more rooms (850 WL and 1400 AKL) and therefore its busier than WL which always seems more tranquil. The communal areas at WL are larger and less busy, like the pool and foyer. I would say the restaurants at AKL are excellent ( and prob better than WL) but then you can always visit to have lunch/dinner. We had a Savannah room at AKL which was lovely but as others have said you can always watch from various viewing areas.

BJones82

Congrats!! And I hope you have a great honeymoon. We will be in WL for our honeymoon in the beginning to the middle of October, but it definitely sounds like for you guys you should pick AKL :)

Hope you have a great time and congrats again!!

righttrack

Both of the resorts are awesome, immersive experiences! We've stayed at them multiple times and with a trip this July at WL coming up.

MrsSomers

Back in 2003, my husband and I had the same dilemma, so . . . . we split the trip between the two! We stayed 5 nights at WL and 3 nights at AKL. It was perfect and gave us a great taste of both. Actually, we went in thinking AKL was going to be the star and came away completely in love with the WL. We've since been back to both and still think WL is our fave. We've done savanna view (honeymoon), and just recently a standard view with our kids. I'm one of those ones who will say the savanna room in not worth the extra money. There are plenty of places to view the animals around the resort, and the time spent in room (on the balcony) are just few and far between to justify the extra cost. Either one you pick, you'll have a wonderful time. Happy planning!

Philo

This sounds familiar - we had the exact same dilema when we went on our honeymoon back in 2008 (although I wanted WL and my wife wanted AKL). We solved it by splitting the stay too (5 nights in each if I remember rightly).

Both we're wonderful, but I think AKL has the slight edge for me now.

Our room in AKL was a savanna view and it was excellent, but I think all the rooms are designed to have a good view... Even if your room view isn't perfect, the feel of the hotel is still excellent.

For what it's worth, swapping hotels halfway through the trip was entirely effortless. On the morning of the swapover we just left our bags with the porters, had a day in the parks and returned to the Wilderness lodge where our bags were waiting. Only downside is you can't (or at least couldn't) use a dining package when staying in multiple hotels, but that didn't affect us anyway.

Either way, your going to have a great time!

MrsSomers

Hey Philo,

We've done split stays many times and use the dinning plan. You do have to book two separate stays, tho. As long as you book dinning and all your park tickets (for the entire trip) to the first hotel, then you're good. Leaving just hotel and dinning (if needed) on the second booking.

MKCP 1985

as said by Captain America (did I really just type that?)

if one of you is big on African animals, there is really no decision to make unless the other of you is really into Yosemite National Park.

HouCuseChickie

We've stayed at both and I prefer AKL. While both are intended to be very immersive experiences, I lost that Yellowstone vibe at WL outside of the building. i.e. without free roaming bison and elk (not that WDW could really do that), it sort of loses something for me. A lot of people, including myself, have been given savannas as options when doing room requests during 60-day online check in for AKL. There are far more savanna view rooms than there are anything else, so you stand a very good chance of a room with a decent view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom