Airport urged to halt Disney shuttle service

shoppingnut

So why is it that one company should be favored over another. Whether or not they are taking business by being on the 3rd level isn't really the point. The point is that if ALL transportation people are required to be on the 2nd floor then disney should be too. They are clearly being given preferential treatment.

People that don't have pre-arranged transport are generally people who live in Orlando or maybe business people visiting who will hail a taxi as it is less costly than a limo service. Even so, the taxi's do need a place to park in order to get these customers and Disney is hogging up a great deal of the parking slots, so the airport needs to make alternative plans.

wannab@dis

shoppingnut said:
So why is it that one company should be favored over another. Whether or not they are taking business by being on the 3rd level isn't really the point. The point is that if ALL transportation people are required to be on the 2nd floor then disney should be too. They are clearly being given preferential treatment.

People that don't have pre-arranged transport are generally people who live in Orlando or maybe business people visiting who will hail a taxi as it is less costly than a limo service. Even so, the taxi's do need a place to park in order to get these customers and Disney is hogging up a great deal of the parking slots, so the airport needs to make alternative plans.

Sorry... but that's nothing but an attempt to make their case seem plausible. They could restrict Disney employees to the tarmac and the livery group would still cry foul. DME agents are only there for customer service... the number of people that MAY be solicited (which I doubt anyway) is really low since it's only available for Resort guests. The whole argument is full of holes.

Disneyland1970

I just skimmed the last 9 pages, is Disney really soliciting or stealing when the service is FREE?? Now, call me foolish, but a free ride to WDW on a clean nice bus or $50 for a cab(not sure of price, always drive, just piked a dollar amount) what would you take? With the amount of discounts shrinking, I would take the bus because I was paying for it in a round about way anyway!
I feel for the drivers, but only the strong survive!

kellydisney

I'm confused. you have to have booked Magical Express BEFORE getting to MCO. Correct? How is it "soliciting" to the other people on the 3rd floor? And seriously... the airport is not going to HALT this, Disney is the whole REASON the airport is so busy in the first place. These people really should have thought twice before charging your first born for a shuttle service to people's hotels. I for one have never and will never use a shuttle service other than Disney. We usually rent a car but we will be using Disney next trip. And if Disney stops this next year, we'll rent a car again. I think they're just jealous of Disney's genius. Sour grapes. And the Disney busses are run by Mears (at least they say so on the bus).

RSoxNo1

The business world is about adaptation. When a bigger company comes along, the smaller companies need to adapt. Sure the bigger companies can beat them in some areas, but not all. One that has been mentioned is service and/or familiarity with the customers.

Getting to Lowe's/Home Depot vs. Local hardware stores. Obviously there will be example that contradict the main point. Bigger stores tend to drive little stores out of business. Ebay tends to drive little stores out of business. Especially if those stores aren't willing to adapt, those that do adapt can make ends meet, and possibly even thrive under their new economic conditions. However, just because one hardware store has been able to survive near a Home Depot, or one mom and pop convenience store is still going strong down the street from Wal Mart, doesn't mean that they and other establishments weren't effected. They are the exceptions.

Rotel1026

dflye said:
Now that you mention it, Hooters has their own airline.... :eek:

Although I'm not sure I want Goofy trying to pour me a drink at 32,000 feet! I'd rather have the artificially enhanced bimbo in the air-brushed pants pour the drink in my lap! :lol:

So I suppose the safety spiel goes something like: In the event of an emergency, your stewardess can be used as a flotation device.

Are people without tickets allowed on Level 3? If they aren't, maybe that's why these companies are going out of business, because they're buying tickets for their drivers posing as passengers and that's where their money is going?

It's a shame that things like this happen but it is business. I went to Vegas in June and loved loved loved their monorail. It made it so convenient getting to and from places, a lot easier to get to shows and dinner and such and I hardly spent any time walking around in 100 degree temperatures. Sadly, the most striking part of the monorail service is the gorilla it's not connecting to. I'm sure aggressive lobbying by cabs had a lot to do with the monorail not connecting to the airport but it's a shame that it doesn't. Not only would that be so much more convenient for most passengers, but it would also remove a ton more exhaust producing cars from the streets.

brich

shoppingnut said:
All the other transportation people are trying to get visitors to purchase their services. Disney is there to assist WDW resort guests who more than likely have already booked their ride with Disney. It's not one getting favored over the other. Your comparing apples to oranges here. But if this is now your only arguement, I'll humor you and say sure, Disney should be on the second floor. This makes little difference if any therefore, I see no point... :confused:

shoppingnut said:
I already agreed that taxis should have room to pick up thier passengers. So your agreeing that those who don't have pre-arrainged transportation are locals and not WDW resort guests? If so, I have absolutly no idea what our difference of opinions is at this point... :lol:

wannab@dis

brich said:
I already agreed that taxis should have room to pick up thier passengers. So your agreeing that those who don't have pre-arrainged transportation are locals and not WDW resort guests? If so, I have absolutly no idea what our difference of opinions is at this point... :lol:

You forgot the big one... Disney is a big, bad and mean corporate monster that is out to make money for their shareholders... oops... I mean to hurt all the little people. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom