Airport / Magical Express Debate Continues

Carolwood

Original Poster
It appears the debate isn't over...

Layoffs, car-rental decline fuel shuttle debate
But airlines say free Disney buses ease crowding

Beth Kassab | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted October 11, 2005

Beeline Ground Transportation, one of two companies with shuttle concessions at Orlando International Airport, said Monday it would lay off as many as 20 people this week as it struggles to compete with Disney's Magical Express.

Mears Transportation Group, Beeline's competitor, holds the contract to operate Magical Express, a free shuttle service to and from the giant Walt Disney World resort.

Beeline is the latest in a string of companies that have complained Magical Express is hurting business with what they consider to be a sweetheart deal involving Disney, Mears and the airport.

While passengers and airlines applaud the service as a hassle-free way to travel between the airport and Disney World, airport executives say they are studying the free shuttle's effect on the airport's bottom line.

Michael Gerloven, Beeline's general manager, said the company did not know about Magical Express when it began operating at the airport about nine months ago.

"Business is less than half of what we anticipated," Gerloven said. "We based our numbers on the airport's projections pre-Disney Magical Express."

The latest airport figures indicate that other transportation businesses may be hurting as well.

Figures show that rental-car sales at the airport have been declining -- as much as 5 percent in June -- despite an overall increase in passengers using the airport.

The decline started in April, a month before Magical Express began. However, Disney tested portions of the program in April. "We're trying to analyze what the numbers are really telling us," OIA Executive Director Bill Jennings said. "There could be a number of reasons why rental-car revenue is down."

Jennings said he hopes to have a better sense of the shuttle's effect within two months.

In the meantime, he's been forced to fend off criticism that Disney was granted unfair access to passengers in the airport's main terminal.

Disney's greeters have been allowed access to areas of the terminal off-limits to other transportation companies. Jennings recently ordered that the practice must be halted by the end of the month.

Disney Senior Vice President Jerry Montgomery said the practice of greeting passengers on the terminals third, or upper, level accounted for only about 2 percent of the shuttle's total passenger load.

About 5,000 people ride Magical Express every day, Montgomery said.

He said the program is helping the airport run more smoothly and is reducing traffic on Central Florida's congested roads, with busloads averaging 37 people.

In addition, he said, airport security and airlines benefit from the off-site screening of luggage that is transported by Magical Express.

The buses have flat-screen televisions that show passengers videos about the airport, including a commercial that promotes airport food and retail shops because passengers arrive for their flights about two hours early on Magical Express.

Airlines also have lauded the program, saying it's already being repeated elsewhere in the country.

"We've seen an improvement in the congestion in our lobby," said Josh Weiss, Delta Air Line's director of customer-service operations and strategy.

American Airlines' Mark Mitchell said the service helps passengers move through check-in lines faster.

"It's running way above expectations," he said.

But criticism from taxi and luxury-sedan drivers is expected to peak at a rally planned for later this week.

Last week, a group of taxi drivers staged a strike to draw attention to how they say their businesses have been crippled by the service. Taxi fares from the airport to Disney run at least $40, making it hard to compete against Disney's free shuttle.

frankd1962

This is getting ridiculous. After reading this post I went to the Sential's website and sent out an email to the editor about this. Maybe they'll post and then again because I live in Massachusetts then visit very little there........

Here's what I wrote:

As a Disney World fan and someone who plans on going there in the near future, I've been seeing the complaints by taxis and other transportation companies about Mears & Disney's Magical Express Bus service. Now I might not live in the area or travel there frequently but I do have an opinion about this.

When I've in the past traveled to Orlando to go to Disney World, my travel agent would book my ground transportation through Mears. And it seems Mears (to me) is the big company there for this service. So what is the big difference now? Can this service take me to ANY other hotel besides those on Disney Property? Will The Disney Magic Express take me over to Hard Rock Hotel? The answer is no.

This is a service for Disney Property guest that will be staying at hotels on Disney property. If they greeters are giving the impression that they will take you to any hotel in Orlando if you're there to visit then they should be spoken to. But if I'm there on business and stay elsewhere, I will be looking for transportation. Now who I choose will be up to me. So cabbies, van drivers and limo people, chill and look for the OTHER visitors. If it is so big a problem then have the Magic Express get their own Point of Entry into the airport away from all of the other transports so that the visitors will not be confused.

Thank you.

Do you think they'll get the picture now as someone from outside the area is looking at them as whinning little babies? Come on and grow up. And maybe my solution will work also.

MickeyTigg

DME <-----> Mears

The other thing is the Sentinel seems to gloss over the problems people have been having with DME. It seems to me from what I've heard is either people are not having any problems or if they are having problems....they're nightmares.

Personally, I don't want to be herded onto a bus with a bunch of other people shuttled to multiple resorts before getting to my resort and then have to wait 3 hours to see my luggage...thereby forcing me to stuff more into my carry-on's so I can change into shorts after leaving winter in Wisconsin wearing pants.

Once DME stops being free next year, we'll see how popular DME is. The question is...will there be any towncar companies left?

I hope so....I plan on avoiding DME and using a towncar service...I'd rather have the personal attention and getting to my resort in 30 minutes.

CTXRover

DME is only for Disney resort guests. Therefore, the taxis and limo drivers are simply complaining about the simple fact that Disney is no longer providing THEM enough customers. While Disney should continue to be a good neighbor to the local economy, they should not be expected to provide x number of customers to every other business. Instead of whining, the taxis/limos should develop plans to lure the thousands of visitors who are not traveling to and from the OIA simply for Disney.

If the free service is benefitting the guests, benefiitting the airport and its safety efforts, benefiting the airlines and their check-in process, and being repeated at other airports by different companies, then its doing something right.

DME

TiggerRPh said:
Once DME stops being free next year, we'll see how popular DME is. The question is...will there be any towncar companies left?

QUOTE]

You think they'll start charging for this service next year? I hope not.

sheilaro

TiggerRPh said:
Personally, I don't want to be herded onto a bus with a bunch of other people shuttled to multiple resorts before getting to my resort and then have to wait 3 hours to see my luggage...thereby forcing me to stuff more into my carry-on's so I can change into shorts after leaving winter in Wisconsin wearing pants.

I hope so....I plan on avoiding DME and using a towncar service...I'd rather have the personal attention and getting to my resort in 30 minutes.
I couldn't agree more! Being shuttle to resort, after resort, after resort before getting to mine is not the least bit appealing. After waiting for at least an hour for my departure flight to Orlando and then sitting on the plane for another two hours, once the plane lands, the last thing I want to do is sit for another hour or more on a bus. The $40 towncar service is more than worth it to me!

imagineerfan

When a DME shuttle comes to the airport, is it deginated to certain resorts on property, or does it stop at all the resorts with guests on that shuttle?

Dan

coln84

DME said:
TiggerRPh said:

QUOTE]

Disney has aleady announced that the DME is only free during the 50th celebration. Once that is over and Disney goes back to buisness as usual, they will be charging, but I would imagine no more that what Mears charged previsouly. Disney is giving up a lot by offering this service. Gas and tolls do add up. Just for a car to go from the airport to Disney costs $2 one way (or $1.75 taking the north route near universal) in tolls only, can you imagine what disneys daily cost just in tolls can amount to??

JimboJones123

DME said:
TiggerRPh said:

QUOTE]

i just booked for dec -- the rep said the service was still free then -- but implyed the DME may no longer be free next year -- but since they just bought 18 busses (or something like that) that the service was here to stay.

CTXRover

coln84 said:
DME said:
Disney has aleady announced that the DME is only free during the 50th celebration. Once that is over and Disney goes back to buisness as usual, they will be charging, but I would imagine no more that what Mears charged previsouly. Disney is giving up a lot by offering this service. Gas and tolls do add up. Just for a car to go from the airport to Disney costs $2 one way (or $1.75 taking the north route near universal) in tolls only, can you imagine what disneys daily cost just in tolls can amount to??

While true that Disney has advertised DME as being free during the HCOE, it is still a bit premature to assume that means they will start charging for it afterwards. While I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did and am expecting such, it is just as likely given its success that they will simply incorporate the increased costs of bussing guests to and from the airport into other areas of the resort, particularly by slightly increasing resort room costs a little and then still call DME "free". Even things like raising the parking price by $1.00 as they did last week would probably easily cover their overhead in a day.

coln84

CTXRover said:
coln84 said:
While true that Disney has advertised DME as being free during the HCOE, it is still a bit premature to assume that means they will start charging for it afterwards. While I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did and am expecting such, it is just as likely given its success that they will simply incorporate the increased costs of bussing guests to and from the airport into other areas of the resort, particularly by slightly increasing resort room costs a little and then still call DME "free". Even things like raising the parking price by $1.00 as they did last week would probably easily cover their overhead in a day.

I didn't think of it that way, but I don't think the $1.00 increase or an increase in parking would go to DME. Plus, I haven't seen that forum in awhile so i thought that discussion was over!! I could see them increasing the rates to thier rooms, even if by a tiny percentage. I would hope that they wouldn't do any other increases for other things(including rooms), as a Florida residen I don't see why I should have to pay for tourists to come here. Same reason (well one of the reasons) the high speed rail in Florida was cancelled. But as we have seen before on this board, Disney will do what they want to do!

CTXRover

JimboJones123 said:
DME said:
i just booked for dec -- the rep said the service was still free then -- but implyed the DME may no longer be free next year -- but since they just bought 18 busses (or something like that) that the service was here to stay.

Unless they are forced to change their policy by OIA or the government, for all intents and purposes, DME will be free through at least January 1st, 2007. At the very least, if you have booked a reservation for next year with DME, I would expect Disney to get you to and from the airport free of charge in some form or fashion.

CTXRover

coln84 said:
CTXRover said:
I didn't think of it that way, but I don't think the $1.00 increase or an increase in parking would go to DME. Plus, I haven't seen that forum in awhile so i thought that discussion was over!! I could see them increasing the rates to thier rooms, even if by a tiny percentage. I would hope that they wouldn't do any other increases for other things(including rooms), as a Florida residen I don't see why I should have to pay for tourists to come here. Same reason (well one of the reasons) the high speed rail in Florida was cancelled. But as we have seen before on this board, Disney will do what they want to do!

I didn't mean to bring up an old debate ;) I don't necessarily think the $1.00 increase in parking went to DME either, but it was just an example as to how Disney could cover the costs of DME without blatantly charging for it, if they wanted to.

LaughingGravy

from article posted by Carolwood said:
The buses have flat-screen televisions that show passengers videos about the airport, including a commercial that promotes airport food and retail shops because passengers arrive for their flights about two hours early on Magical Express.

On the way back to MCO, all our DME video screens were turned off and a big piece of masking tape or such sized paper was over the screens with hand printing saying "Gratuities Appreciated".

Bus driver also didn't announce airlines at both stops at the airport, resulting in much confusion and people starting to get off the bus, then needing to take their seats again.

freakman

I rode the DME last 2 weeks ago and had no problems other than it took 3 hours for my bags to come to room.

Got through the line in the air port for DME, which was huge but moved quick, and then queued for the bus. Took about 20 min for the whole process and there where buses for each resort with exception of ones that are very close. The all star bus stopped at all 3 all star resorts. I think this may have been more of a case where it was not full so they added other people rather than make them wait. There is a queue line for each resort. There where several buses all loading at the same time for different resports....marquee on bus listed each resort similar to disney buses

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
JimboJones123 said:
all i know is that i can't find an economy car for my trip under 30 bucks a day yikes

Get a cab to a non airport rental car location and you will save big bucks. Airport locations charge 20-30% more than non airport locations. No one complains about that, just that Disney starts charging $2.00 for putting your name on your ears....

frankd1962

TiggerRPh, when I was there in 2000 we used Mears and were put into a large van with (my now ex and 12 yr-old daughter) another family of five and a gentleman. We were pinned into the back of the van with the luggage of all us pressed against the back of my head. Luckily we were all going to the All Stars but we were last off at the Movies. We had to endure the uloading of the others at each of the other two until we got to our Hotel. I would rather ride a large bus then a van and I usually travel with one bag myself so I'll be carrying mine on light and come back with it full.

Even if they charge extra for it, I'll use DME if it is still available. If not then, I'll go with Mears again and call shotgun since I'm going by myself on my next trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom