Airline Kicks Students Off Plane

NYwdwfan

The article has the High School group saying the flight attendants over-reacted and the flight attendants saying the group was unruly - should be interesting once the other passengers (and their cell phone cameras) weigh in on the situation.

Mark In KY

Original Poster
The article has the High School group saying the flight attendants over-reacted and the flight attendants saying the group was unruly - should be interesting once the other passengers (and their cell phone cameras) weigh in on the situation.
It might matter in "the court of public opinion" but it won't matter in "the arena of officialdom". "You" do not stand a snowball's chance if the flight crew voices the slightest concern about your behavior or attitude.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It might matter in "the court of public opinion" but it won't matter in "the arena of officialdom". "You" do not stand a snowball's chance if the flight crew voices the slightest concern about your behavior or attitude.

Quite true. Nevertheless, once the dust settles and the videos start rolling out, it will not surprise me one bit to see the students acting just as the flight crew described and getting exactly what they deserved.

I_heart_Tigger

I was on a flight before with a school group. They didn't get kicked off the plane but they were reprimanded, made to stay in their seats and not allowed to have any beverages for the rest of the flight. I had a juice spilled on my lap and camera bag by the person in the seat in front of me. He asked for a drink then threw it over his shoulder - said it was for "good luck".

The airline gave me a $300 flight voucher for my troubles which I was pleased with. I thought the flight crew handled it well. They apologized on the speaker to all of the passengers and assured them that none of these students would be bothering them for the rest of the flight.

When one of the unruly ones who had been running up the aisles and throwing things said he had to go to the washroom he was told he should have thought of that before and that he can use the washroom at the airport after we land and that the group will be made to wait until everyone else had left the plane. When he said he would "wet" the seat then the flight attendant said she would be sure to change the seat cover afterwards and if he wanted to sit in his own urine until then he was more than welcome to.

bethymouse

I guess the students who were not "following directions" should have been reprimanded by the teachers and chaperones and not the flight crew. Unless it truly was a matter of SAFETY. But, from what I've read it was not.:( I would have called the parents to come get the "unruly" kids, and not have punished the entire group. Just MHO.;)

lilclerk

"We were more behaved than kids should be," he said.

Umm... first of all, that's a silly statement. Second of all, I doubt it.

I feel I should say I flew to WDW with my high school music department my senior year. We were excited and probably a little loud at times in the airport, but for the most part, we were respectful. Surely, if anyone had told us to shut our traps, we would have immediately.

I know for sure once we got on the plane, we were all very quiet. No one wants to be the person bothering everyone else on a plane.

bsiev1977

I know this was an AirTran flight, but another reason I love flying on Southwest.

The kids don't really have a valid defense here. The kids who are quoted say they complied immediately with crew instructions to sit, turn off phones, etc...
Then, why was the flight delayed for 45 minutes with all this nonsense?
Oh, I know why. Because the kids were acting like entitled jerks, and the crew was doing their job!

bsiev1977

See my response above, but I'm with the flight crew in this. If the kids were following instructions, why was the flight delayed for so long?

eeyoremum

I have had the privilege of chaperoning teens on two cruises. If our student's behaviour had even been remotely out of the line the teacher would have taken said students off the plane herself.

That being said it would be interesting to see what others have to say. 100 or so excited teens might be a little hard for only 8 chaperones to handle. We had a one to three ratio meaning we were not so out numbered.

I find it interesting and somewhat annoying that the group is playing the discrimination card. I find too many people do that today. Maybe I am naive but I don't think most people are making decisions based on others race, religion or creed.

bsiev1977

I have had the privilege of chaperoning teens on two cruises. If our student's behaviour had even been remotely out of the line the teacher would have taken said students off the plane herself.

That being said it would be interesting to see what others have to say. 100 or so excited teens might be a little hard for only 8 chaperones to handle. We had a one to three ratio meaning we were not so out numbered.

I find it interesting and somewhat annoying that the group is playing the discrimination card. I find too many people do that today. Maybe I am naive but I don't think most people are making decisions based on others race, religion or creed.
As far as groups that might be discriminated against in a plane, I'd put Jewish pretty low on that list.

As far as taking the unruly ones off the plane. I'd think that when it comes down to it, the chaperones would not be able to split the group. They would have to take the whole group off the flight to keep them all together.

MOXOMUMD

There were 101 students and 8 chaperones which is a ratio of 12:1. They were on Airtran that sits (mostly) 5 across a row, so how many students do you think were sitting in the rear without a chaperone near them? I don't think they could weed out the good/bad or it really turns into a he said/she said and who do decides which chaperones don't get to go because someone would have to stay with the ones left behind? I probably would have started applauding and whistling the Colonel Bogey March (Bridge Over The River Kwai) as they exited the plane. Would that be considered unruly?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There were 101 students and 8 chaperones which is a ratio of 12:1. They were on Airtran that sits (mostly) 5 across a row, so how many students do you think were sitting in the rear without a chaperone near them? I don't think they could weed out the good/bad or it really turns into a he said/she said and who do decides which chaperones don't get to go because someone would have to stay with the ones left behind? I probably would have started applauding and whistling the Colonel Bogey March (Bridge Over The River Kwai) as they exited the plane.

Maybe it was just me, but when I was a kid the chaperons tended to stick together during the transportation phase of the trip. I would not be shocked to find out that there were 50 kids in the back of the plane without an adult in sight.

bsiev1977

There were 101 students and 8 chaperones which is a ratio of 12:1. They were on Airtran that sits (mostly) 5 across a row, so how many students do you think were sitting in the rear without a chaperone near them? I don't think they could weed out the good/bad or it really turns into a he said/she said and who do decides which chaperones don't get to go because someone would have to stay with the ones left behind? I probably would have started applauding and whistling the Colonel Bogey March (Bridge Over The River Kwai) as they exited the plane. Would that be considered unruly?
How many seats does the average AirTran plane have?
I wonder because I'd love to hear from any passengers from that flight that weren't affiliated with the group in question.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Maybe it was just me, but when I was a kid the chaperons tended to stick together during the transportation phase of the trip. I would not be shocked to find out that there were 50 kids in the back of the plane without an adult in sight.
I agree we took several trips with our choir in high school and the chaperones mostly sat together. I wonder what our ratio was? I wouldn't have dreamed of misbehaving though our choir teacher would have killed us!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom