Airfare!

EnchantedRose

Crazy how airfare can change from one minute to the next....literally!!

I have been checking Jetblue's (we love the free bags & extra room) website daily for our plan tickets for the past 2 months....and they were around $290 - $320 for each of us round rip from NYC to Orlando for the specific times we wanted....other times were even MORE money. A few weeks ago I read an article that said the best time to buy your plane ticket is 53 days before your departure date. It showed that they woulds be lowest you could buy them around this time. Well day 53 for me was yesterday and still nothing :( I told my husband that I would give it till Friday and if nothing came up we would have to suck it up and buy them at the $320 price!

Come to work this morning and got an email from Jetblue saying they had released their Fall Deals. I quickly went to check and found our flights for $268 each - $52 less than what they were the day before! Quickly I snatched them up! Purchased our 3 plane tickets + 1 lap child. I checked a few hours after I bought them, and they had gone up to 320 each! So glad I didn't wait till I got home to purchase them! SO if you see your airfare at the price you are willing to buy it....BUY them!

Now I can say that my vacation feels REAL! We are 52 days away...in a few days we pay off our trip and then we just have to wait for the day to get here!

Magic Bands are Picked
Reservations are made
FP's are selected
Now we wait!

Weather_Lady

If you're flying JetBlue next time, keep in mind that (unless there is a special like the one you just got - which sounds like a great deal!) JetBlue typically releases its cheapest fares first and then increases them as tickets are sold (e.g., the first 10 tickets are $180; the next 20 will cost $200, the next 20 will be $225, etc.), so except in the case of a seasonal offer, the fares will only go up. (This is in contrast to bigger airlines, which do have fluctuating fares.) Every 2 months, JetBlue will extend the schedule by another 2 months or so, and you can sign up for e-mail notifications about schedule extensions.

Congratulations on having all of your travel plans in place! It's a wonderful feeling! I hope you have a great trip.

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

I noticed that United Airlines flight go up in price once we buy our tickets. They only drop in price if they only have middle seats or less than 10 available seats left.

I once got a round trip flight from Newark to Orlando for $167 ten days before my trip!

Upvote 0

BrianV

If you're flying JetBlue next time, keep in mind that (unless there is a special like the one you just got - which sounds like a great deal!) JetBlue typically releases its cheapest fares first and then increases them as tickets are sold (e.g., the first 10 tickets are $180; the next 20 will cost $200, the next 20 will be $225, etc.), so except in the case of a seasonal offer, the fares will only go up. (This is in contrast to bigger airlines, which do have fluctuating fares.) Every 2 months, JetBlue will extend the schedule by another 2 months or so, and you can sign up for e-mail notifications about schedule extensions.

Congratulations on having all of your travel plans in place! It's a wonderful feeling! I hope you have a great trip.
That's been my experience as well. Book early on JetBlue and southwest as pretty much they only go up. The rest are fluctuating.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Jetblue is also one of the few airlines that if the airfare goes *down* after you purchase they'll give you a flight credit for the price difference with no change fee. It's not automatic, of course. You have to call and ask.

Flight credits are good for 1 year from the date the credit was issued, though they can only be used for future flights for the original passenger.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

Getting the airfare done and paid for is more relieving than booking the trip! Congrats! I bought our airfare back in April for our Nov trip and boy am I glad we did. Prices have only gone WAY up since! We fly out on a weekday and come home on a weekday, so it is considerably cheaper than weekends. For 3 of us, roundtrip it came to $479. Southwest was just way too much. They may not charge bag fees but even us paying for our bags, we were still under $200 per person.

It is relieving to have that part done!

Upvote 0

EnchantedRose

Original Poster
Quick update - this morning I checked the flights again out of the curiosity...and they were even lower :banghead::mad: than what I paid. Our departure flight had gone up, but the return had been reduced to $108! I contacted Jetblue and for some reason they weren't able to see on their screen what I saw online. So i sent them a message via Facebook and gave them my reservation # and they actually gave me a credit of $25 per person...totaling $75 for a future flight. They were very helpful...and while the cash back would have been better....I will take the credit since we always use jetblue...and the credit will not be going to waste! lol

Upvote 0

Disnee4Me

I love JetBlue. Recently booked West Palm Beach to Westchester County, NY for my 95 year old mama's "man friend" (he's 88) and she tells me "we are not lovers, just good friends". Well poor George ended up with a lung infection, got a bad reaction to medication and landed in the hospital and was not well enough to come up on August 9th as planned. I shared my sob story with JetBlue customer service and got a voucher for a replacement ticket at no charge. Good to know about discounts after you've already booked. I'll keep that in mind for WDW next Christmas.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Quick update - this morning I checked the flights again out of the curiosity...and they were even lower :banghead::mad: than what I paid. Our departure flight had gone up, but the return had been reduced to $108! I contacted Jetblue and for some reason they weren't able to see on their screen what I saw online. So i sent them a message via Facebook and gave them my reservation # and they actually gave me a credit of $25 per person...totaling $75 for a future flight. They were very helpful...and while the cash back would have been better....I will take the credit since we always use jetblue...and the credit will not be going to waste! lol
Unless you purchase a refundable ticket, they will not credit your charge card for the money, but the fact that they will give you an adjustment on pricing on their own website as an airline credit is HUGE!!! Great job on the air and have a wonderful trip!!! Marie

Upvote 0

mmouse05

Use Yapta.com. Enter you enter your flight information and how much you paid. If there is a price drop, they send you an alert. Then call Jet Blue customer service and tell them that the price of your flight has dropped and you would like a travel credit for the difference. They are a great airline to fly! We book about 3 months out and usually are able to get a credit or even 2 in before the trip with a price drop. Pays towards the next trip!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hey there all, Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I spoke with Jet Blue this evening and they are going to start imposing a penalty of $75.00 to credit a change in airfare unless it is done within the first few days of purchasing the ticket!!! The lady I spoke with was unsure if it was 10 days or 14 days but she stated those two numbers. This penalty will only affect tickets purchased on or after August 14th. Sorry everyone!!! Marie

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

southwest won't credit you if your flight price drops - but they have NO CHARGE for changing flights. i wanted to change my departure from tampa to orlando and leave a a day earlier - just a few clicks on their website and it was done. i've also rebooked when i saw a lower rate. just cancelled my current tickets, they give you a credit linked to your reservation number, then rebook using that reservation number as credit. jetblue charges $100 to cancel or change a reservation - usually not even worth it flying from JFK to MCO.

@wannabeBelle, that's frustrating to hear. i generally book my jetblue tickets using true blue points and i get really ticked when i see my flight drops in price and i can't get anything for it. having said that, it rarely happens with jetblue.

Upvote 0

HRHPrincessAriel

southwest won't credit you if your flight price drops - but they have NO CHARGE for changing flights. i wanted to change my departure from tampa to orlando and leave a a day earlier - just a few clicks on their website and it was done. i've also rebooked when i saw a lower rate. just cancelled my current tickets, they give you a credit linked to your reservation number, then rebook using that reservation number as credit. jetblue charges $100 to cancel or change a reservation - usually not even worth it flying from JFK to MCO.

@wannabeBelle, that's frustrating to hear. i generally book my jetblue tickets using true blue points and i get really ticked when i see my flight drops in price and i can't get anything for it. having said that, it rarely happens with jetblue.
Yes SWA does. You have to use it within a year if you didn't buy with points. If you buy with points you get them back.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I know I Am pretty sad myself. Still if you have any tickets you purchased prior to the August 14th date you are still OK, it was only tickets purchased after that. Marie

Upvote 0

CheshireCat12

I need to call them back because when they credited us they said it was only good for 6 months....
I believe it's one year from the ORIGINAL booking date, not the flight departure date. So if you booked online on June 1, 2014 you could use the credit until June 1, 2015. That's what I was told for a credit I received this year.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom