Ah, Disney is the 90s........

Most people will swear that the Disney of their childhood was the best simply because that's what they grew up with and that's when Disney held the most magic for them.
Some people have argued that DAK lacks nostalgia and that they'll never gain nostaligia, of course they will, there are plenty of children now who have never known a Disney World without DAK and one day they'll remember their first ride on the safari's as fondly as some of us remember the first time we rode Peter Pan or Horizons.
I loved much of 1990's Disney; Alladin, Lion King, etc. But I don't see it as being a better time then all the classics, the beauty of the animation in Pinocchio or the live action films like Swiss Family Robinson or Old Yeller. And I'm a child of the 80's and 90's and yet I still prefer the classics and find it to be the real golden age of Disney, I don't think you can judge what was or wasn't the best era bases simply on profits. Some of the most terrible Disney movies based on critical reviews have had amazing profits.

Timmay

The best Disney era is now...it is the one you get to experience, not the one of yesterday that you pile false memories and nostalgia upon.

People always look fondly on the past. It is just human nature.

matt88mph

The best Disney era is now...it is the one you get to experience, not the one of yesterday that you pile false memories and nostalgia upon.

Or, in other words:

"Now is the time, now is the best time, now is the best time of your
life..."

but never forget that "there's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away."

Goofnut1980

You're not the only one, AREM. I was born in the mid-80's so I was growing up just as Disney was hitting their stride with their animated programs. I wouldn't go a single day without watching Darkwing, Duck Tales, Tail Spin, Chip & Dale: Recue Rangers...I could go on and on - and that's without mentioning any of their movies! I'll never forget watching Aladdin for the first time or getting excited the days leading up to the release of The Lion King. Ah, those were the days. The 90's was a great decade for Disney. I'm glad I got to grow up during that era.

AMEN! just add to your list Beauty and the Beast and we are all set... These kids of today really have no idea what it was really like... I went for the first time in 1989... I was 9.. and it was just amazing... then again every year since... and I notice a big difference every time I go.. things just arent kept up as well.. you see cobwebs and light bulbs out... My uncle used to work for WDW and worked on a crew that only changed light bulbs at night.. then they did away with it... I am sure now you have to put in a request and it takes 2 weeks for an certified electrician to come and change a bulb... those were the good ol days...

WDW1974

I find that statemeny incredibly condescending, not to mention just plain BS.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying today. But to assume people have false memories of the past is just ignorant.

I've got over three decades experience as a Disney parks guest and my memories are just fine.

You may not like that things used to be better, or you may disagree, or you may just not have a clue. All three are fine.

But don't presume to tell anyone that their memories are false and they're just blinded by nostalgia because that's a fetid load of crap.

yankspy

There's nothing wrong with enjoying today. But to assume people have false memories of the past is just ignorant.

I've got over three decades experience as a Disney parks guest and my memories are just fine.

You may not like that things used to be better, or you may disagree, or you may just not have a clue. All three are fine.

But don't presume to tell anyone that their memories are false and they're just blinded by nostalgia because that's a fetid load of crap.
Two wrongs do not make a right.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I completely disagree. There are MANY actual ways to measure quality being objective instead of subjective, and there's plenty of evidence that Disney of the late 80's-early 90's was run much better than it has since ~1996.

Timmay

Tell you what...just worry about yourself, okay.:wave:

Ignore...:sohappy:

agent86

But to assume people have false memories of the past is just ignorant.

Apparently, you're completely unfamiliar with the concept of false memories. But that doesn't justify calling someone's statement "ignorant" just because it's something of which you personally happen to be unaware. False memories are, in fact, a very real phenomenon. And they occur with much more frequency than a lot of people realize. In fact, according to many psychologists, it is actually much more likely than not that many of your childhood memories (especially those with emotional elements attached to them) have details that are completely incorrect. This is true of most, if not all, people. This is a difficult concept to accept, because our memories are such a cherished thing to us. But long term memory is nothing more than a chemical function in the brain, and it can play tricks on us. I'm attaching a link to a very short article on the subject...one which seems appropriate given the subject matter in which we all share an interest:

http://www.unisci.com/stories/20012/0613011.htm

This article illustrates one of many many studies done on the topic of false memories. It's not science fiction, or some wild crazy notion. And it's anything but "ignorant" to assume that most people have experienced it. It's a real, scientific theory. So I guess my point is (without getting too much off topic), maybe before you call someone "ignorant", you should make sure it's not YOU who are in fact the one being ignorant just because you haven't heard of something. :wave:

WDW1974

Agent86 while I appreciate your 'lesson' on false memories, which I am aware of, I'll stick with my original point.

It's very ignorant to claim that someone with decades of visits to WDW, and behind the scenes knowledge as well, somehow is imagining that things were better back then.

I'd use a bad word here, but since the filters would pick it up, let's just say that it's a fresh pile of poo.

But really I appreciate your help ... you do know WDW has never been better, right?

WDW1974

Oh ... and I never met Bugs at DL either.

But maybe he just wasn't around when I was there.

I know I met Yosemite Sam in the theater for his wild west show in Frontierland. In those days you were allowed to call the young uns 'no good little varmants!'

agent86

Agent86 while I appreciate your 'lesson' on false memories, which I am aware of, I'll stick with my original point.

It's very ignorant to claim that someone with decades of visits to WDW, and behind the scenes knowledge as well, somehow is imagining that things were better back then.

That wasn't your "original point" though. What you originally said was this...

But to assume people have false memories of the past is just ignorant.

That's not "sticking with your original point". Your original point was that it was ignorant to assume, in general, that people ever have false memories of the past at all. But after being faced with an article by renowned psychologists that stated otherwise, you claimed to already be "aware of" the concept and then changed what your point was. Why not just admit that you were wrong to call another member "ignorant" and just own up to it (instead of responding with sarcasm)?

Oh by the way, you also said this...

Taken in context with your overall argument, it sounds as though you are claiming that in over 30 years of experience, you don't believe that any of your memories could be inaccurate or altogether false. Forgive me, but you're not being very realistic.

Now, having said all this, I am actually in the camp of those (yourself included) who feel that things were better in the past. But I also recognize that memory is very selective, and we also tend to conveniently "remember" details that support how we currently feel.

DisneyMusician2

Why does any of this matter if the general public is enjoying the attractions just as much now as they did then?

Regardless of our opinions, that is the target audience that any theme park is reaching out for, not for us. In the end, everyone has nostalgia for what was that they used to enjoy. It is simply human nature.

I just disagree with he doomsday predictions and such. Give things time to swing back around.

talfonso

I for one enjoyed WDW in the 1990's as much as now - things were swankier back then! (It's not just the low prices, people!) There were great live shows - many with that pre-recorded-track-enhancing-a-live-band combo (DisneyMania pre-CD series, Every Day's A Holiday, and what I didn't see - America the Musical) - and I loved them! What 90's kids doesn't love a parade of the time: Magical Moments (the remade cousin of the 25th Anniversary street party, Remember the Magic), Aladdin's Royal Caravan, 20th Anniversary Surprise Celebration (Gotta love the pre-Lenten Carnival smarm year-round!), Disney Character Hit Parade, and/or Mickey Mania? the Atmosphere Characters - they were so great back then, especially the fur ones! Those who were all but phased out currently, like Bondgo, Lulubelle, and the once-prominent Roger Rabbit (gosh, I'm missing him), were all over the place! And the usual fur characters at DHS (then Disney MGM-Studios) - Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Chip, Dale, Goofy, Donald, and the aforementioned Roger Rabbit - were wearing those bomber jackets in cool colors. The latest I have seen the characters wear them the last time was during Spring Break 1997 - even the tad newer (in appearance) Donald Duck wore that cool garb - genius! (Here's an example of the Disney-MGM Studios character garb, worn by the easily identifiable: http://www.flickr.com/photos/moacirdsp/565982656.) Oh, and didn't I mentioned that the Cakestle (Cinderella Castle fashioned as a humongous cake for WDW's silver jubilee) became a focal point for debate between me, my ex-cousin, Muetti, and late Vatti of its edibility? :ROFLOL:

Oh, and TV in the 90's were great - and it's beyond watching those old Disney 'toons like Chip N' Dale's Rescue Rangers! I grew up watching the Walt Disney World Happy Easter Parade - great stuff, if you ask me!

timeman

My first visit to the Magic Kingdom was in 1973 and I still consider it the best. I did go to Epcot once in the 80s and then went to Epcot three times in the 90s and MGM Studios also in the 90s. I did enjoy those parks in the 90s and Disney did put out some good animated movies in the 90s, but I remember all the live action movies they put out in the 70s which are what I grew up with.

People stating that The Lion King was the greatest animated movie that Disney put out in the 90s are fooling themselves, because before that movie ever came out I had already seen an animated series that was better then this movie ever was. My problem with The Lion King was that it tried to be a remake of one of the greatest Japanese animated series from the 1960s called Kimba The White Lion. There were even scenes in the Lion King that were almost exact copies from Kimba. Disney at the time denied any similarities to Kimba and said they had never heard of the series. Kimba the White Lion was 10 times better the The Lion King and I feel sorry for people who have never seen it.

Here is a link to a page talking about the similarities between the two.

http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm

_Scar

Of course the one thread about sharing past memories in the 90s is infiltrated by bickering shmidiots. :p No offense, but cmon people!

I loved Ludwig Von Drake and Prof. Owl on the sing alongs. Anyone have a pic of Ludwig as a costume character in the park?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom