aerosmith in turmoil - how will it affect Rock and Roller coaster?

devoy1701

Whether the band is officially together or not, their music is still Aerosmith, and the are the top selling american rock n roll band of all time. Regardless of whether Steven Tyler "leaves" the band, the licensing and marketability of the band does not change. Steven Tyler will always be part of Aerosmith in a royalty sense...and they're more mmarketable tegether than separately...so why would they change the ride??

and to the person who said that they sound horrible now, i beg the differ. If you are a true Aerosmith fan and don't think of songs like "Walk this Way" and "Back in Saddle" as some of their best stuff, they still put on one heck of a show...they can entertain like no other...without cool pop sounds or pyrotechnics.

Then again, it might be awhile before we get to see them again.... :dazzle:

captainkidd

I'm only one year older than you though, and before i got into the Stones I was well aware of Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, Gimme Shelter from a young age. People are always going to know Livin' on a Prayer as it is a massive tune, but I think Joe Bloggs on the street may struggle in naming more Bon Jovi tunes than that.

You Give Love A Bad Name, It's My Life, Wanted Dead Or Alive, Blaze Of Glory, Bad Medicine, Always, I'll Be There For You, Runaway

Everybody has different opinions on music, but to say Bon Jovi isn't relevant, with all due respect, it just silly. A band that has been around for a long time that isn't relevant is Poison. They still tour, but haven't sold any new music or had a hit single in almost 20 years. Bon Jovi releases platinum album after platinum album, and sells out every show they play, year after year.

From Wikipedia:

Platinum albums released in 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1992, 1994, 1995, 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007
Top 40 singles in 1984, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009

_Scar

You Give Love A Bad Name, It's My Life, Wanted Dead Or Alive, Blaze Of Glory, Bad Medicine, Always, I'll Be There For You, Runaway

Everybody has different opinions on music, but to say Bon Jovi isn't relevant, with all due respect, it just silly. A band that has been around for a long time that isn't relevant is Poison. They still tour, but haven't sold any new music or had a hit single in almost 20 years. Bon Jovi releases platinum album after platinum album, and sells out every show they play, year after year.

Platinum albums released in 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1992, 1994, 1995, 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007
Top 40 singles in 1984, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007

:sohappy: Agree.

I still think Aerosmith is the best band possible for this "gig" though.

Question, does Hanes have any say in what musical group is represented?

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Guys, guys, guys....the answer is right there, staring us in the face. I mean, who could ever be better than....

b-milli-vanilli.jpg

nuttyskadork

Okay so I'm just going to list off (for reference sakes) the bands considered here under the categories in which people are criticizing them for......(not saying I agree with all accusations)

TOO BROKEN UP
Aerosmith
Journey
The Who

TOO EXPENSIVE
Rolling Stones

TOO TRENDY/NON-APPEALING TO ADULTS
Hannah Montana
Jonas Brothers

TOO Modern
Foo Fighters
Green Day
Red Hot chilli Peppers
DragonForce

TOO POLITICAL
U2

TOO CHEESY
BON JOVI
Poison

TOO CHEESY/ VULGAR
KISS

TOO DEAD
Michael Jackson (too soon?)
The Beatles
Queen
Nirvana
Beehtoven
Elvis Presley

And besides Bon Jovi and Kiss, Van Halen is also a reasonable name.

And for the heck of it, here's a few names we haven't yet considered (though most fit in the other categories)

AC/DC
Metallica
Rush ....anyone? lol...building might smell a little funky though :zipit:
Tool
The Ramones
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin (think there already "was" a Led Zeppelin the Ride though lol)
Lynyrd Skynyrd (Freebird! Freebird! Freebird!)
System of a Down
GWAR (lol)
Motley Crue
Iron Maiden (could be some cool theming hmm?)
Grateful Dead (think that falls under the TOO DEAD category lmao)
ZZ Top
Duran Duran
Cheap Trick
Beach Boys
Beastie Boys
Backstreet Boys
Linkin Park
Def Leppard
Rancid
Weezer
uhh yeah that's all I got lol....any others? :lookaroun:lookaroun:lookaroun

jonnyc

From Wikipedia:

Top 40 singles in 1984, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009

Record sales don't make a band relevant, bands like Bon Jovi, Metallica, U2, The Stones, RHCP etc. will always sell records even if it is a 100 minute Jazz Odyssey with a 56 minute triangle solo, because they all have very large 'can't do no wrong' fanbases. For a band to be relevant they have to be at the forefront of the music scene, bands like Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys, Portishead, Kasabian etc. Like The Beatles were in 60s, or the Ramones in the late 70s. Bon Jovi are hardly at the cutting edge of music. David Gimour's On An Island is one of my favourite albums, it has sold 1.5 Million copies and was number 1 in the UK, but I wouldn't see it as relevant in today's music scene.

captainkidd

Record sales don't make a band relevant, bands like Bon Jovi, Metallica, U2, The Stones, RHCP etc. will always sell records even if it is a 100 minute Jazz Odyssey with a 56 minute triangle solo, because they all have very large 'can't do no wrong' fanbases. For a band to be relevant they have to be at the forefront of the music scene, bands like Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys, Portishead, Kasabian etc. Like The Beatles were in 60s, or the Ramones in the late 70s. Bon Jovi are hardly at the cutting edge of music. David Gimour's On An Island is one of my favourite albums, it has sold 1.5 Million copies and was number 1 in the UK, but I wouldn't see it as relevant in today's music scene.

Record sales alone don't make a band relevant, I agree. But to do it so massively for 25+ years, there is relevance there. I would never say Bon Jovi were at the cutting edge of music, but neither is Madonna or U2. Would you consider them non-relevant?

There are bands at the cutting edge, that no one will ever hear of and won't influence anybody. There are dozens of bands today that cite Bon Jovi as an influence. Like them or not, they have made their mark on the music industry, and continue to do so. I could quote numbers and facts all day long trying to prove my point, but it's kind of a moot point. I hate Nirvana but for me to say they weren't relevant would be ridiculous. The same can be said for Bon Jovi.

Boardwalk Joe's

Instead of theming to a specific band, why not go in a direction about 'cars'? They can use car songs from multiple bands: Fun, Fun, Fun; Little Deuce Couple, Drive My Car, I Can't Drive 55, etc...

chwilson88

I already started this news break a few days ago...

Sorry to break it to ya, but I already broke this news on the forums (i was the first one)...and literally a few minutes ago Joe Perry was just on our local radio station in an interview live (boston area, where the band started out)...and he confirmed that Steven Tyler is not talking to them and it is likely that it is over....

captainkidd

For the record, the new Bon Jovi CD was released last week internationally (released today in the US).

So far:

#1 in Germany
#1 in Japan
#1 in Australia
#2 in UK

devoy1701

Sorry to break it to ya, but I already broke this news on the forums (i was the first one)...and literally a few minutes ago Joe Perry was just on our local radio station in an interview live (boston area, where the band started out)...and he confirmed that Steven Tyler is not talking to them and it is likely that it is over....

congrats for being first. :sohappy:

:rolleyes:

jonnyc

Record sales alone don't make a band relevant, I agree. But to do it so massively for 25+ years, there is relevance there. I would never say Bon Jovi were at the cutting edge of music, but neither is Madonna or U2. Would you consider them non-relevant?

I'd say Madonna and U2 were relevant in their respective hey days, just as Bon Jovi were, but not now.

There are bands at the cutting edge, that no one will ever hear of and won't influence anybody. There are dozens of bands today that cite Bon Jovi as an influence.

I am interested to hear which bands cite Bon Jovi as influence?

captainkidd

I'd say Madonna and U2 were relevant in their respective hey days, just as Bon Jovi were, but not now.

I am interested to hear which bands cite Bon Jovi as influence?

Bon Jovi and U2 are both selling as many records and concert tickets now as they ever were.

As for bands influenced by Bon Jovi, some you may know, some you may not:

Nickelback, Damone, Jericho Road, Anthony Rankin, All American Rejects, Goo Goo Dolls. It would be kind of pointless to list their 80's peers that emerged after them, as everyone knows about that whole scene.

You cite Radiohead as being relevant. I'm not arguing one way or the other, but seriously, does Joe on the street have any idea who Radiohead is? How does that make them relevant? Did they change the music landscape at all? Bon Jovi did. Look at all the copy-cat bands that emerged in the late 80's/early 90's after Bon Jovi broke. Do you know anyone who has never heard of Bon Jovi? The definition of relevant is "bearing upon or connected with the matter at hand." When referring to music, how can you not connect a band that has been around for over 25 years, sold 125 million albums, played before 34 million fans, had over 25 top 40 hits, 12 platinum albums, Grammy's, American Music Awards, a Golden Globe, been inducted to the UK and songwriting Hall of Fame, into that category?

jonnyc

You cite Radiohead as being relevant. I'm not arguing one way or the other, but seriously, does Joe on the street have any idea who Radiohead is? How does that make them relevant? Did they change the music landscape at all? Bon Jovi did. Look at all the copy-cat bands that emerged in the late 80's/early 90's after Bon Jovi broke. Do you know anyone who has never heard of Bon Jovi? The definition of relevant is "bearing upon or connected with the matter at hand." When referring to music, how can you not connect a band that has been around for over 25 years, sold 125 million albums, played before 34 million fans, had over 25 top 40 hits, 12 platinum albums, Grammy's, American Music Awards, a Golden Globe, been inducted to the UK and songwriting Hall of Fame, into that category?

I think they would, at least here in the UK, i don't know for the US. They have been at the forefront of the Alternative scene with majority of their album release. In Rainbows was nominated for the Mecury Music Award, which is usually a good indicator of which new music outside of 'pop' is relevant and at the forefront of it's respective genre.

And i don't see Bon Jovi as relevant as they arn't doing anything innovative. We arn't going to look back at musical history in 50 years and put bands like U2 or Bon Jovi at the forefront of rock musically in the year 2009.

captainkidd

I think they would, at least here in the UK, i don't know for the US. They have been at the forefront of the Alternative scene with majority of their album release. In Rainbows was nominated for the Mecury Music Award, which is usually a good indicator of which new music outside of 'pop' is relevant and at the forefront of it's respective genre.

And i don't see Bon Jovi as relevant as they arn't doing anything innovative. We arn't going to look back at musical history in 50 years and put bands like U2 or Bon Jovi at the forefront of rock musically in the year 2009.

What does innovation have to do with relevance?

By your definition of relevance, only contemporaries can be relevant. I think we may just have different definitions of the word.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom