aerosmith in turmoil - how will it affect Rock and Roller coaster?

captainkidd

Eh, they were kids, were run by the record company, and did what they were told to do. All the more power to them for surviving an era of music no other group did (successfully), finding their own identity and running with it.

Bon Jovi 2009:

bonjovi2009.jpg

All artists went through eras of looks where they looked silly.

Testtrack321

Remember guys, they picked Aerosmith over MANY of these other bands because Aerosmith was the cheapest.

Personally, I think Green Day would be the best fit CUZ I LIKE THEM. ( :hammer: )

AEfx

No matter what drama goes on with the band, it's not going to affect the licensing agreement at all.

nuttyskadork

I think Bon Jovi fits. In my mind, they have the two most important qualities:

a) They are recognizable to a large variety of people, and
b) Nobody hates them

They might not be a particular person's favorite band, but nobody is going to say "I hate Bon Jovi, so I'm not even going to go on that ride" like I think some people would if it became the Hannah Montana ride (or any other flavor of the month). Like I said earlier, I think KISS fits best because they are most marketable (Gene Simmons will slap a KISS logo on anything and sell it), but bands like Bon Jovi, the Rolling Stones, Van Halen, U2, or the Who are kind of cut out of the same mold as Aerosmith and would all fit, in my opinion. Queen would have been perfect before Freddie Mercury's death.

Stones were WDI's original idea but too expensive. Maybe they'll back down a bit...... We all know Keith Richards is going to be around until the apocalypse anyways.

I don't see Bono agreeing to a U2 "ride" but the others work fine..... although I do know a few people who do in fact "hate" or "intensely dislike" Bon Jovi. Granted I've seen them drunken sing-a-long to Livin' On a Prayer like nobody's business lol!

nuttyskadork

Although I don't think Aerosmith will be removed, for the sake of this conversation I'll put my two cents in.

This debate has come up time and time again, to me Bon Jovi has been the best fit if you're taking out Aerosmith.

Because music is often separate by generation gaps or simple styalistic preferences, it's nearly impossible to come up with music that appeals to everyone. That's part of the appeal of Rip, Ride, Rock It. If Disney were to change the music on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster I would almost expect it to be something similar, take this concept for example:

Pre-Show, you find out you're going to a concert but it's a much grander scale with multiple acts performing (perhaps they make up a name that's a derivation of Woodstock). Instead of choosing a song you're choosing a "stage" that you're going to. If you pick the Aerosmith stage you get Aerosmith Music, if you pick the Jonas Brothers stage you get Jonas Brothers music, etc.

Does EACH rider get to pick? Or do you have to settle for what your ride partner wants?

nuttyskadork

Fair points, but for me the big difference is the Stones had such an important impact on music. In regards to recent output, at least in the UK "It's my Life" is the only break out thing they have done since "Always".

And as for bands around for 26 years, who are still relevant (maybe not with Stadium Arcadium, but definately with By The Way), how about my earlier pick of the Chilis? Formed in the same year as Bon Jovi and prior to their hiatus touring to bigger crowds then ever. Still headlining festivals, having hit singles and grammy nominations with every album.

Great display picture by the way! :sohappy:

Has it really been 26 years? Wow.... BTW the last time the Stones had a top 40 hit..........when exactly?

nuttyskadork

Remember guys, they picked Aerosmith over MANY of these other bands because Aerosmith was the cheapest.

Personally, I think Green Day would be the best fit CUZ I LIKE THEM. ( :hammer: )

*Throws is nomination for Foo Fighters*. And if you really want to give people brain hemmoraging by sending them on an 8 minute roller-coaster, there's always DragonForce?

kbmum

band_present.jpg

They aren't even close to my favorite band, but they are marketable, well known, they appeal to multiple demographics, and you could start tailoring the far end of Sunset Boulevard to a "spooky/mild-scary" area of the park.

Gene Simmons would want half of the gate receipts for each day.

There have been many rumors over the years about Steven Tyler quitting Aerosmith. It could be true this time, but I won't believe it until I see an official announcement on the band's website. Even if he does leave, I don't think there's a need to revamp the ride. He'll end up rejoining the band eventually.

RSoxNo1

Any band that is suggested is going to have people that don't agree with the choice.

At this point, I don't think there will be a change unless Aerosmith has a way to end the contract. This may be because of some dispute over how the money is distributed amongst members of a band that is no longer together.

This is extreme bias on my part as a huge fan, but I think Bon Jovi would be a perfect fit for the ride. Nothing offensive about their music or lyrics. It rocks. Everyone knows some of their biggest hits.

Livin' On A Prayer
You Give Love A Bad Name
Bad Medicine
It's My Life

Those would all fit nicely onto the ride.

Have A nice day! Would be a good one!:D

No matter what drama goes on with the band, it's not going to affect the licensing agreement at all.

Thought i read in another thread that their agreement was almost up?

captainkidd

Has it really been 26 years? Wow.... BTW the last time the Stones had a top 40 hit..........when exactly?

That was exactly my point with the Stones. Historic, yes. Important, yes. Still relevant, not so much. They need a band that kids will know music to as well. With the exception of maybe Start Me Up, I can't imagine any kids under 15 knowing any Stones music.

captainkidd

I do know a few people who do in fact "hate" or "intensely dislike" Bon Jovi. Granted I've seen them drunken sing-a-long to Livin' On a Prayer like nobody's business lol!

I do too, but my theory is this - People would make fun of me all the time in the early 90's for liking Bon Jovi. One reason was the inevitable backlash that any band that becomes as big as they became will get from people "just because". Another reason is because I still liked them when it wasn't cool to like them. You know, when all their peers disappeared and grunge took over. But here we are, 20 years later, and they're still around and still hugely popular. I really think it es some people off.

jonnyc

From a quick Wiki search it seems it was Brown Sugar in 1971. Album wise however the last Stones album in 2005 was No.1 in UK and No.3 in the US and was actually well recieved critically as well.

jonnyc

That was exactly my point with the Stones. Historic, yes. Important, yes. Still relevant, not so much. They need a band that kids will know music to as well. With the exception of maybe Start Me Up, I can't imagine any kids under 15 knowing any Stones music.

But i wouldn't see Bon Jovi as relevant anymore, and to bring this back on topic, the problem with this is bands that are relevant are not going to big enough to be the focus of this ride.

Krack2

I think you'd be surprised about how recognizable some of the Stones songs are to the under-20 crowd. Kids have parents. Parents play music in the car adults like.

Kids/Teens might know Stones songs as "oldies" but they still recognize the songs when they hear them. Off the top of my head, the kids in my family would, on some level, recognize all of these Rolling Stones songs:

Start Me Up
Satisfaction
Gimme Shelter
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Mixed Emotions
Miss You
Beast of Burden
Let's Spend The Night Together
Heartbreaker

They, obviously, wouldn't know they were Stones songs, but they'd recognize the music (most of them have been in commercials, too). But, like someone said earlier, the Rolling Stones asking price is probably the highest of anyone but the Beatles or Madonna.

_Scar

But i wouldn't see Bon Jovi as relevant anymore, and to bring this back on topic, the problem with this is bands that are relevant are not going to big enough to be the focus of this ride.

I guess I'm in that teenager range (17). I don't know any Stones songs besides Start Me Up. And Bon Jovi is very relevant. I often hear people singing their songs in passing. In fact, I've heard people singing "livin' on a prayer" this past week. It was really random :lol:

jonnyc

I guess I'm in that teenager range (17). I don't know any Stones songs besides Start Me Up. And Bon Jovi is very relevant. I often hear people singing their songs in passing. In fact, I've heard people singing "livin' on a prayer" this past week. It was really random :lol:

I'm only one year older than you though, and before i got into the Stones I was well aware of Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, Gimme Shelter from a young age. People are always going to know Livin' on a Prayer as it is a massive tune, but I think Joe Bloggs on the street may struggle in naming more Bon Jovi tunes than that.

Krack2

If you pick a band that is "relevant" now (and let's be honest, you mean relevant to teenagers - U2, Bon Jovi, the Rolling Stones will all always be relevant to adults), in less than 5 years there's an excellent likelihood that you will have a ride that is irrelevant (because most entertainers are fads and have short lifespans). Furthermore, if you pick a "now" band, you are immediately losing a huge portion of the relevancy to adults. My father (age 63) is not going to want to go on the Hanna Montana or Jonas Brothers ride - any of the previously mentioned bands, he'd be fairly enthusiastic (he'd even think KISS would be funny in a corny way, even though that's not his type of music). He'd even tolerate a Madonna, Michael Jackson or Springsteen ride.

As for the Stones' most recent hit? Probably "Love Is Strong" in 1994 or "Mixed Emotions" in 1989.

VonSteuben

I don't see it as working with any band change...because so many people will complain...personally as a young 20s person I find that all these options plus aerosmith are awful. good ride, bad music. I think Bon Jovi would top it. Anyway, not my point to bash but really, when does disney just tweak things like that? If they're so concerned about things being current - I think they can find different, more needed, points of focus. Anyway, even if they break up, who cares, they still exists, they could probably just change the "in studio" segment. Or...Ride in complete silence...or Elevator Music version of "Girl from Ipanema". C'mon, who's feelin' it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom