Advise for traveling to WDW after knee replacement surgery

ppete1975

2 to 4 miles a day is fantastic! My suggestion is to get a wheelchair (just in case) and use it if/when you need it. Go to guest services and get DAS passes for attractions you want to ride to you need not standing in queues.
i cannot imagine a wheelchair, then again i feel bad if i need anyones assistance so its prob just me.

Disstevefan1

i cannot imagine a wheelchair, then again i feel bad if i need anyones assistance so its prob just me.
If you are walking 2 to 4 miles a day you will have no issue touring the parks. It’s the standing in the queues that I am unsure of. This is why you should get the DAS passes for the attractions you want to visit. As for the wheel chair, we get one due to back problems; most of the time the empty chair is being pushed, like a walker, it makes walking easier, and if need be, it’s always there to have a seat.

BWW

I had both knees replaced last December. My wife and I are planning a trip to WDW in early November. Does anyone have any experience and advice to give? I should add that I am 6'6" and I have always had issues with certain ride vehicles.
I had one knee done in September 2016 and went in February 2017. I took my cane "just in case" and it was never an issue taking it on the rides. I did end up renting a wheelchair at Epcot, but otherwise the cane was good enough. Are you flying? Word to the wise. Don't ask, don't tell. My experience with TSA is that the metal detector doesn't register titanium and if you go thru the body scanner the agents can see it's a knee replacement. But if you tell them as soon as you walk up, it turns into a whole big thing.

bjlc57

sorry.. but i am of the other school.. instead of you hurting your self and your new knees.. especially on hard pavement. GET THE SCOOTER..
if you ruin your knees because you are "going to bite the bullet.. then how are you ahead.. ? you can shoot me down.. but i say get the scooter..

GrumpyDude

Original Poster
My only other caveat is that operating the scooters takes a little practice. I've seen people struggle to steer and control them many times at WDW. The last time I went to HS, the poor woman in front of us kept crashing into one of the queues. I mean she chipped a chunk of wall plaster, and knocked over multiple queue stanchions. (Those are the portable poles WDW uses to mark some queues. They are connected with a chain, or by a retractable belt.)
I would be scared to death that I would run into someone. I would rather stay at the hotel for a while, rather than take the risk of hurting a child. That whole no brake thing is pretty scary.

GrumpyDude

Original Poster
sorry.. but i am of the other school.. instead of you hurting your self and your new knees.. especially on hard pavement. GET THE SCOOTER..
if you ruin your knees because you are "going to bite the bullet.. then how are you ahead.. ? you can shoot me down.. but i say get the scooter..
I plan on training hard so a scooter will hopefully not be necessary. If I start hurting, I will sit. I'm just scared of operating a scooter.

Minnie Mum

I would be scared to death that I would run into someone. I would rather stay at the hotel for a while, rather than take the risk of hurting a child. That whole no brake thing is pretty scary.
A suggestion I've seen frequently on another forum for those with disabilities is to get familiar with the ecv before you leave home. Many big stores like Walmart or Home Depot have ecvs for the use of their customers. You can tootle around the store on one of these to get the hang of throttle control, steering, and especially backing up. Just do it at a quiet time of the day, when the store isn't busy.

DisneyJoe

They stop fairly quickly. When you release the accelerator, they stop within 2-3 inches, if that, so just watch your speed (it is adjustable), and keep a safe distance.

In 12 years of riding an ECV at Disney (many many trips), I have never hit a child, and only tapped a adult in the leg once, as she ran out of Columbia Harbor House directly in front of me.

I only use an ECV in Disney due to the distances, I use crutches to help me walk otherwise. I enjoy the parks much more now on an ECV.

GrumpyDude

Original Poster
They stop fairly quickly. When you release the accelerator, they stop within 2-3 inches, if that, so just watch your speed (it is adjustable), and keep a safe distance.

In 12 years of riding an ECV at Disney (many many trips), I have never hit a child, and only tapped a adult in the leg once, as she ran out of Columbia Harbor House directly in front of me.

I only use an ECV in Disney due to the distances, I use crutches to help me walk otherwise. I enjoy the parks much more now on an ECV.
Thanks for letting me know that. I've just heard stories of the ECVs rolling into people because they could not be stopped.

Drummermom

Had my knee replaced 2 days before Hurricane Harvey in Houston, not a good plan. Went to Disney in October or November that year. Rented a private scooter, one that was more mobile, I don't remember the company but my husband had no trouble getting it in and out of a vehicle, we were staying off site. They delivered and picked up with no issue. It was very easy to use, and never ran out of charge. At one point some children stated "she's speeding" lol! It was during food and wine, and was quite crowded at Epcot. Highly recommend going private. I was extremely careful, and never came close to hitting anyone.

arwebster

My wife had a knee replacement in Nov 2010 and we went to the parks in late Feb 2011. We took our time, and rested from time to time but I am happy to report she made it through with no ECV with only some minor swelling. She iced her knee at night and was ready to go again in the morning.
my wife and I have rented scooters from a rental located off rt 192 by old town park.We picked it up there and went on to vero beach and returned it there.No issues very fair priced.Sorry do not remember name but I will by september as that is our next trip to Vero.

Hcalvert

I just turned 40 and need double knee replacement surgery. Obviously, no one will do it due to my age, but is encouraging to read about everyone having success afterward. To the OP, I suggest you get a DAS. I have to get one because stairs and stadnding in one place for a long time really swell up my knees, making it difficult and painful to walk. I didn't have it one trip and ended up wiping out infront of the RnR to my embarrassment. Whatever you can do to relieve pressure on your knees--do it, which I am sure you know.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
my wife and I have rented scooters from a rental located off rt 192 by old town park.We picked it up there and went on to vero beach and returned it there.No issues very fair priced.Sorry do not remember name but I will by september as that is our next trip to Vero.
Our last trip in Jan/Feb was for almost 5 weeks so it turned out to be cheaper to buy a used ECV from one of the local companies. It is currently in our garage.

Djsfantasi

Just came back from an 11 day trip. We rented scooters from ScooterBug and was so glad!

I am used to walking 5-10 miles per day. But, last year I ended up in First Aid. Plus, I went with a girlfriend for the first time, and she wasn’t up to strenuous exercise.

Loved the ScooterBug scooters. Their charge lasted all day. They are easy to steer. And you quickly get used to the throttle.

Disney transportation was a breeze. The operator helped us load and unload. Even operating the ECV on the buses for us.

On some rides (Jungle Cruise) they would give you a return time and would admit you directly when you returned. This was only offered to people in wheelchairs and scooters.

Regards braking... Once you release the throttle, the scooter stops in inches. Like the other poster, I only ran into one person who ran in front of me to get in line before I did. Karma.

I questioned getting the scooters. Even to the point of considering ordering only one. But after this trip, I don’t see not getting one again

Hcalvert

Thank you to whomever mentioned Scooterbug. My dad just put in a reservation in June for Resort Lite ECV. I am so glad that we know for sure that he will have one and not have to worry renting one each day from Disney and it is a relief that it is getting delivered directly to the resort without any need to meet them ourselves.

Last edited:

Djsfantasi

Thank you to whomever mentioned Scooterbug. My dad just put in a reservation in June for Resort Lite ECV. I am so glad that we know for sure that he will have one and not have to worry renting one each day fro Disney and it is a relief that it is getting delivered directly to the resort without any need to meet them ourselves.
I and others recommended ScooterBug. Glad it’s going to work out for you.

Pepper's Ghost

I walk 2 to 4 miles everyday.
That's 2 to 4 miles every day more than probably 90% of the U.S. population. Even at Disney I'd say most people don't walk 4 miles. I haven't had a knee replacement, but I'd suggest making sure you take the time to sit down and rest, people-watch, even just leaning or sitting in line where possible.

If you can walk those long of distances, it seems you probably don't need one of those walkers with a seat, or a cane with a seat or anything. Just make sure to rest often. Being at WDW is wonderful even when you're just sitting around.

MickeyLuv'r

Thanks for letting me know that. I've just heard stories of the ECVs rolling into people because they could not be stopped.
Where I have most often seen people having difficulties is in navigating tight spaces.

One that especially comes to mind is the (pre-pandemic) monorails. Usually CM's have scooter users board first, so the challenge is primarily navigating the scooter in a tight space between the poles.

The woman I mentioned earlier was also trying to navigate a tight space. When I saw her, she was hitting stationary objects, not people.

If you decide to try a scooter, I second the idea of practicing a little either before your trip at a big box store (as another poster suggested) , or when you get the scooter at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom