Advice for upcoming trip

Wanderer23432

Hey there(long time lurker first time poster), this January (17-23) my girlfriend and I will be going to Disney World for a week. While I’ve been many times and know my way around, but it will be her first time. I was wondering if I could get some help on what i can do to make the trip awesome for her. It may seem silly but I just don’t know how to go about it from a new visitor’s perspective if that makes sense.

One bit of advice I would give is to go slowly and give her time to take it all in; point out the little details, explore, take time to sit and just look around. I think once you've been so many times you adapt to the grandeur of the place but for first-timers there is just so much to take in and look at that you don't want them to feel rushed or overwhelmed. For similar reasons don't over-plan it, nothing worse than ruining a day because you're upset over a schedule, it will be magical enough just being in the parks and if something doesn't go to plan it's not the end of the world. :)

Upvote 0

Wanderer23432

Original Poster
One bit of advice I would give is to go slowly and give her time to take it all in; point out the little details, explore, take time to sit and just look around. I think once you've been so many times you adapt to the grandeur of the place but for first-timers there is just so much to take in and look at that you don't want them to feel rushed or overwhelmed. For similar reasons don't over-plan it, nothing worse than ruining a day because you're upset over a schedule, it will be magical enough just being in the parks and if something doesn't go to plan it's not the end of the world. :)

Thanks, I find myself in a unique opportunity but when I began to plan I found myself having trouble imagining the trip as a first timer, especially as a first timer who isn’t as familiar with the parks.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I find myself in a unique opportunity but when I began to plan I found myself having trouble imagining the trip as a first timer, especially as a first timer who isn’t as familiar with the parks.

I know the feeling, we took my partner's parents for their first trip last year and we ended up constantly ahead of them as they had stopped to look at themeing, once we caught on we tried to slow it down and enjoy it as if we were first timers too. It can make it more fun, seeing their jaws literally drop on first seeing world showcase was a really magical moment, I've never seen them so amazed.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

First find out what kind of attractions would excite her or interest her. Some first timers do have a dream list of things they have always wanted to do at Disney. Next you can narrow down items that she would have no interest in. For example.... some people hate coasters so that would cut out quite a few rides. Since you have a knowledge of the best things at WDW, give her a list of things youd not want to miss. She can view ride through videos as well to let her have a preview of what you are recommending. Knowing her tastes book ADR's that would give her the best menu choices and dining atmosphere. Of course throw in a couple of character meals. Book Hoop de doo as a show, floor seating. Get to parade and firework shows early enough to get good viewing areas. Make sure you both have spending money for souvenirs, first timers want to go away with lots of loot to bring home as memories. Be sure to ride the monorail and the ferries. Visit the monorail resorts.
Take it slow and point out some of the features around the parks that most first timers are too buzy to notice.

Upvote 0

Wanderer23432

Original Poster
First find out what kind of attractions would excite her or interest her. Some first timers do have a dream list of things they have always wanted to do at Disney. Next you can narrow down items that she would have no interest in. For example.... some people hate coasters so that would cut out quite a few rides. Since you have a knowledge of the best things at WDW, give her a list of things youd not want to miss. She can view ride through videos as well to let her have a preview of what you are recommending. Knowing her tastes book ADR's that would give her the best menu choices and dining atmosphere. Of course throw in a couple of character meals. Book Hoop de doo as a show, floor seating. Get to parade and firework shows early enough to get good viewing areas. Make sure you both have spending money for souvenirs, first timers want to go away with lots of loot to bring home as memories. Be sure to ride the monorail and the ferries. Visit the monorail resorts.
Take it slow and point out some of the features around the parks that most first timers are too buzy to notice.

This is awesome, thanks! I’ll probably end up doing something like that but there’s only 1 issue (and it’s what’s causing most of the difficulties) and that she wants to go in as blind as possible, so she doesn’t want to be “spoiled” by watching videos and stuff like that.

Upvote 0

Herdman

I'd agree with others. Make sure you hit what you think she would find as her "headliner" type attractions, but don't overbook a tour plan so that she has time to soak it all in. I've got a feeling this will be great for you too, having a chance to experience some things that you might be taking for granted as a frequent visitor.

Upvote 0

danheaton

This may seem like an odd suggestion, but I wouldn't plan too many things earlier in the day. Maybe rope drop or visit early once or twice, but not on consecutive days. I say that because it's easy to forget (like others have mentioned) how overwhelming Disney World can be to a first-time guest. It also can be exhausting, even when it's a great trip. The good thing is that you're going in one of the slowest weeks of the year, and the weather should be very mild. So the heat won't be a factor. I'd try to hit the headliners, but the most important thing is not pushing too hard. Enjoy the fact you're there and it will all be amazing.

Upvote 0

Wanderer23432

Original Poster
This may seem like an odd suggestion, but I wouldn't plan too many things earlier in the day. Maybe rope drop or visit early once or twice, but not on consecutive days. I say that because it's easy to forget (like others have mentioned) how overwhelming Disney World can be to a first-time guest. It also can be exhausting, even when it's a great trip. The good thing is that you're going in one of the slowest weeks of the year, and the weather should be very mild. So the heat won't be a factor. I'd try to hit the headliners, but the most important thing is not pushing too hard. Enjoy the fact you're there and it will all be amazing.

Thanks! I that makes a lot of sense, apart from a breakfast or 2 I don’t think we have anything planned for mornings so I’ll try to keep them flexible.

Upvote 0

yensid67

"This is awesome, thanks! I’ll probably end up doing something like that but there’s only 1 issue (and it’s what’s causing most of the difficulties) and that she wants to go in as blind as possible, so she doesn’t want to be “spoiled” by watching videos and stuff like that."

She can still go in blind, but it would be your job to sit down with her SOON and find out what would interest he. From there you can make a SMALL plan for the day. I would suggest 2 days for the Magic Kingdom, just because that's the main park and there is sooo much to see, it will take 2 days! DEFINITELY schedule a Character Meal! Depending on her favorite characters of course! I only see one way for you to go...either TRULY BLIND or at least get fast passes for the attractions you think she would enjoy. When I think about the Magic Kingdom, I think of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain, Main Street USA, and Space Mountain. Epcot, Spaceship Earth, The Land, TestTrack, and then the countries. Animal Kingdom, Avatar, Tree of Life, Festival of the Lion King, Kilimanjaro Safari, Expedition Everest, and Rivers of Light. I would stay away from the studios since it is a huge construction zone, only a few attractions really not worth using a days admission that could be used on a 2 day at MK! But like most are saying, don't over plan too much and sit and people watch, take an afternoon break and explore the monorail resorts, show her things that she would not normally see back home. If you have time, branch out from the parks and take her to Lake Eola for an afternoon. But whatever you decide, just have a good time!

Upvote 0

RScottyL

I agree with what was said above:

(1) Take her to each of the four parks on the first four days. She may have favorites and want to go back to certain parks for the remainder of the trip.

(2) Try to take your time as much as possible, and hopefully January will be way slower than summer!

Upvote 0

DisneyDoctor

I took my girlfriend for the first time in 2015 and it was the most amazing trip. She fell in love with the World (thank God lol) and now she's constantly dreaming of Disney. On the first day we really took our time. We meandered throughout MK and planned FP's for some of the classics (Haunted Mansion, Splash, POTC). We went back to the hotel around 2:30-3:00 to refresh and get away from the crowds. Then we returned in the evening ready for Wishes (RIP, although I love Happily Ever After). I don't think I've ever seen her in awe quite like that first Wishes performance. I have a sneaky suspicion you'll notice the same in your girlfriend while watching Happily Ever After! That first day can really set the tone, so don't overdue it by trying to cram everything into one day. Take things slowly. That first turn around Main Street USA with the first view of the castle is amazing. It brought my girlfriend to tears (lol and she was 20. I shouldn't laugh, sometimes it brings me to tears!). Stop at Casey's for a hotdog, get a LeFou's Brew from Gaston's Tavern, really do anything you want to do. Yes it's expensive, but it seriously made our trip. We dream of sitting on the fountain outside Gaston's Tavern sipping on a cold LeFou's brew all because of that first day. The first day will really get her excitement up for the rest of the trip.

Take the rest of the trip at a similar pace. Just really take everything in. I'd be willing to bet she will love EPCOT as well. I dedicated an entire day just to WS as I knew my girlfriend would love it. We ended up returning their multiple times throughout the trip (thanks to Park Hopper) and eating/snacking at nearly every country.

Another suggestion I have is do a half day at Hollywood Studios (honestly, I'm not sure you could do a full day if you tried) and then take a boat to WS and enter through the back entrance at night. It's a beautiful ride. You'll get to see some amazing resorts and the Boardwalk, which is fantastic in it's own right.

Obviously these are all suggestions, so by all means do what you think is right. What I wouldn't give to be in your shoes, though! It's such an amazing experience. I envy you, my friend, and I hope the trip is absolutely amazing!

Upvote 0

cdeev8690

This is all amazing advice. I agree with others : don't overburden with ramming in ADR's, consecutive FP's, and seeing every possible fireworks show and parade. It becomes all too much and once she's fallen in love, she's going to want to return to experience even more! Doing and experiencing something new with her during each visit will make it feel like her first visit over and over again. I will say that rope drop is important especially since there is no 'slow season' anymore. My fear of taking new people to Disney is that they will be overwhelmed by the crowds so getting in early to avoid the brunt of that is the best way to go. Of course, you don't have to do it every day. I don't foresee late inJanuary will be overly crowded, but enjoying an empty park is a beautiful thing.

I would take some time to get food at a quick service and picnic on the hug grass. Pick a shady spot during a time when there's no parade or stage show and it'll feel super relaxing. It's a good way to take a break from the sensory overload.

I think dining with a view of MK is really special. My favorite place is Ohana and I try to get a dinner reservation around the time of the MK fireworks show. Otherwise, you can go to the Contemporary and then return with your dinner receipt to watch the fireworks from their balcony. It's a great way to show someone that Disney is just as geared towards adults as it is towards children.

Upvote 0

Wanderer23432

Original Poster
This is all amazing advice. I agree with others : don't overburden with ramming in ADR's, consecutive FP's, and seeing every possible fireworks show and parade. It becomes all too much and once she's fallen in love, she's going to want to return to experience even more! Doing and experiencing something new with her during each visit will make it feel like her first visit over and over again. I will say that rope drop is important especially since there is no 'slow season' anymore. My fear of taking new people to Disney is that they will be overwhelmed by the crowds so getting in early to avoid the brunt of that is the best way to go. Of course, you don't have to do it every day. I don't foresee late inJanuary will be overly crowded, but enjoying an empty park is a beautiful thing.

I would take some time to get food at a quick service and picnic on the hug grass. Pick a shady spot during a time when there's no parade or stage show and it'll feel super relaxing. It's a good way to take a break from the sensory overload.

I think dining with a view of MK is really special. My favorite place is Ohana and I try to get a dinner reservation around the time of the MK fireworks show. Otherwise, you can go to the Contemporary and then return with your dinner receipt to watch the fireworks from their balcony. It's a great way to show someone that Disney is just as geared towards adults as it is towards children.

I do have a couple of ADR's but I made sure to spread them out (early lunch, late dinner) that way there's plenty of time in between. I also only booked ADR's on days where I know what park we will be in (I have more control over the first few days in terms of what park and where we eat). As for FP's I booked the first 4 days but if I were to be totally honest only a handful of them are important to me (FOP, SM, R&RC, Soarin for each park) and the rest are sort of just there and can change to fit the whims of the trip. After those days I'm essentially leaving it up to her. The plan I have is use the first 3 1/2 days to introduce the parks to her and then let the next 3 1/2 days to be completely up to her. That may cause some difficulties when it comes to sit down restaurants but I think we will manage.

Upvote 0

Wanderer23432

Original Poster
When you have a little free time take the boat from MK to Ft Wilderness and walk around the campground or take a carriage ride, show her a bit of WDW that isn't busy and just relax a little. Maybe have a meal at Trails End.

That's an awesome idea! We will have to do that. And thanks for the suggestion. I'll be the first to admit that despite going many times to Disney World I haven't done nearly everything it has to offer so I always appreciate recommendations and ideas for what we can do. Especially as it's her first time, it would be nice to do things that I haven't done either.

Upvote 0

Amos1784

I would suggest attending a show of Hoop De Doo, I think it just embodies Disney. Take the boat from Magic Kingdom straight to Fort Wilderness as was stated above.

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

The first time I went, my then boyfriend, now husband, had been many times. He enjoyed seeing it through my eyes. This was in 2013. We had fastpasses for each park each day and we'd checked out menus online for our sit-downs but I still had no idea what to expect. Looking back, I'm sure we were rushed, as we only had 4-day tickets (his parents bought them) but I don't remember feeling rushed. Ever since, we've done at least 6 day tickets. Glad you are going to be there long enough to enjoy it!

It's important to be flexible and hopefully you both enjoy the same rides/adventures/experiences! I think you'll enjoy the trip if you don't try to rush and do everything. Once I was hooked (which was about the first hour when I saw the castle), we knew we'd be back so we didn't rush to fit everything in. :p:D:banghead: Can't wait to read your TR!

Upvote 0

LukeS7

Biggest piece of advice: Don't plan out dining except for one meal each day. The first trip my girlfriend and I took we booked ADR's for lunch and dinner every day. BIG mistake, so much of what we did and how we spent our time was based around dining. Fortunately didn't make the same mistake on our second trip (January 2017)

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

I agree with @LukeS7 , only one ADR a day is needed. One ADR gives you the ability for a secure, set plan but 2 ADRs is super hard to plan around. Also, the ADR's provide a lot of food, so 2 ADRS is almost too much food, at least for me. One ADR and one QS, and I'm good for the day. That's why we Love love love the dining plan! :):):p:p

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom