Advice for HHN

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
Hi all,

Making a trip to USO on 10/11-14 (3.5 days in the parks, 2 for HHN).

We know the details regarding passes for HHN and the days it's occurring on, so that's not the concern.

Looking for advice for those who have done this before.

Should we go for Royal Pacific during HHN to take advantage of the express pass (I know, for rides only, not for houses) or would crowds be light enough on the rides to forgo the extra cost and stay at Cabana Bay?

Thanks.

Tom Morrow

Alternatively, wait until the last two hours of the event, when the Express pass people start leaving. You'll have to move quickly but you'll be able to knock out most of the houses. This has happened for me on numerous nights. It might not work on one of the earlier closing event nights.

Universal ridiculously oversells the Express pass for HHN nights and it makes the standby lines absolutely crawl but that also means the Express pass holders get done earlier than others.

BrerJon

Given you're going for 3 days, you probably won't need Express as lines won't be too long in the daytime at that time of year, and planning your days should mean you never have to stay too long in a line - maybe 3 or 4 hours total extra wait over the course of the trip. Work out what 3 or 4 hours of your time is worth and decide if you'd rather suffer those waits but have the extra dollars in your pocket for other things. I'd say much better to put the money towards a HHN Express, or even better one of the behind the scenes tours.

For HHN, if only one night you would need Express, but over two nights you can do it all without, but you need to follow a touring plan, have contingencies ready if things close, and be prepared to sprint around the park a bit. I've done all the houses in one night without Express, on a busy night, but it takes a bit of planning, quick thinking and is a hair-raising experience in and of itself, never mind the scare zones.

Even if you have HHN Express, you'll have to wait in some lines, so it's always a good idea to plan. Maybe try to do most of the houses the first night, then repeat a couple or finish any missing ones, see Bill & Ted etc. on the second night. Try to go Wednesday and Thursday, when crowds will be a little lighter (though still very busy) as Friday and Saturday nights are unbearably busy and the longer opening hours will be cancelled out by wait times.

danpam1024

we buy the HHN EPs- some of the lines are ridiculously long, and EP has completely ruined my patience. However, we only do one night. If you're doing more, you should be fine. :)

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
The Express passes you get from staying onsite are strictly for the day, which you won't need that time of year. HHN Express is good for both rides and houses, and is practically a necessity, but you'll have to pay for it.
Wait, HHN Express passes work for both the standard attractions as well as the houses?

BrerJon

Wait, HHN Express passes work for both the standard attractions as well as the houses?

They are, but only for the rides open during HHN - a HHN Express won't be valid in the daytime - and you're much better spending the time doing the houses, and only going on regular rides once you know you don't want to do any more houses that trip.

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
They are, but only for the rides open during HHN - a HHN Express won't be valid in the daytime - and you're much better spending the time doing the houses, and only going on regular rides once you know you don't want to do any more houses that trip.
That makes sense.

So 3.5 days in the parks for rides + 2 nights for the houses w/ HHN express passes sounds like it could allow us to hit mostly everything we'd want?

BrerJon

That makes sense.

So 3.5 days in the parks for rides + 2 nights for the houses w/ HHN express passes sounds like it could allow us to hit mostly everything we'd want?

Absolutely, sounds perfect.

With two nights *and* Express for HHN you'll easily get all houses and scare zones done, see the shows, and have time to use those evening Express on some rides. With 3.5 daytime sessions, you'll easily be able to do everything, even without Express. This isn't like Disney where you have to plan Fastpasses months in advance - even the longest lines are only going to be an hour or so, and that's just for a few headliners. Plan the days to hit them first and you'll barely wait in a line all trip.

StingraySam

Typically I would suggest to stay at Royal Pacific and take advantage of the Express Passes but mid-week in October for 3.5 days should be enough time to do both parks without much stress of not being able to do everything you want to do without an Express Pass for the day portion of your trip so I would save the money and stay at Cabana Bay.

If you do decide to stay at Cabana Bay and depending on how many there are in your party if you really feel you need an Express Pass you could purchase one for one day and your overall cost may still be less than staying at Royal Pacific. As I said though this will depend on how many are in your party and what the cost difference is between Cabana Bay and Royal Pacific. Four people in your party and a cost difference of as little as $75 a night could be less than (4) Express Passes for 1 day. For me personally it's not as much the getting to do everything in one or two days but I just don't want wait in a 90 minute line (unless they are giving away free beer, maybe free beer). In short if you can afford it then go for Royal Pacific. The Express Passes are like insurance, you may not need it but it will be worth it when you do. This will also give you more time to do things other than just rides like resting poolside before your long HHN's.

As for HHN an Express Pass is always a good idea. In the past we have been going on the Passholder Nights and even with getting into a few houses early on those nights we have never been able to do all of the houses in one night without an Express Pass. Last year we decided that we needed to start doing 2 nights and even that wasn't really enough time for us to do all of the houses without an Express Pass, I will admit though we did make multiple refueling and pitstops those nights. With an Express Pass we probably could have done all of the houses and enjoyed the scare zones a little more.

surfsupdon

I stay at Royal Pacific for the Express Pass by day.

For HHN, I was able to see every single Haunted House, and did 3 repeats. Check the weather and go on a night with rain or showers. I'd rather be et than waiting in hour long lines. I am not sure the houses would have been worth the price if I had long waits. Yes they were terrific, but I can't imagine waiting over 25mins for a walk through house.

JT3000

Check the weather and go on a night with rain or showers..

I don't recommend doing this. Rain can make for shorter lines, but it can also ruin the event in several ways. Not only do all the scareactors leave the streets at the first sight of rain, but if it's bad enough, it can even cancel shows (the B&T theater even has a leaky roof.) Always avoid rainy nights if possible.

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
Ok, so I'd like some clarification. Why would I buy a general admission or add-on HHN ticket for 2 days as opposed to the frequent pass they offer? It sounds like I'd save 20 ish dollars over the course of both days. Are there restrictions on the frequent pass I am just not seeing?

JoeCamel

I guess you are asking about the Rush Of Fear pass. It is only good for the first 11 days of the event. If you mean the Frequent Fear it does not do Saturdays.

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
I guess you are asking about the Rush Of Fear pass. It is only good for the first 11 days of the event. If you mean the Frequent Fear it does not do Saturdays.
Frequent Fear is what I'm referring to. We are there early Tues - late Fri.

HHN is planned for 10/12-13, a Wed and Thurs.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Ok, the FF will work for you then. I am assuming you priced it both ways? The add on is 66?? each day and FF is?? If you will be in the park during the day then I think the add on is a better fit for you unless you are getting express with them. If you have the day admission you can stay and scream which gets you a jump on a couple of houses before the GP is let in.

Tony Perkis

Original Poster
Ok, the FF will work for you then. I am assuming you priced it both ways? The add on is 66?? each day and FF is?? If you will be in the park during the day then I think the add on is a better fit for you unless you are getting express with them. If you have the day admission you can stay and scream which gets you a jump on a couple of houses before the GP is let in.
Do you mind elaborating on that a it? Very intrigued, but haven't come across that in pricing it seems.

Tony Perkis

Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom