Advice for first timers (big family, little-ish kids)

CofOz

Hi from Oz! My crew of 2 parents and 6 kids (they'll be aged between 5 and 10yrs) are planning a once in a lifetime trip to WDW in late August-early September 2023. This is part of a larger road trip through North America and we are feeling the pinch with costs of everything adding up. At this stage we are looking at 7-10 days in Orlando, with probably one day for Universal (park hopper to explore the Harry Potter worlds for the older kids) and the rest for WDW or as rest days inbetween the park days. Our littler girls love Disney princesses (Little Mermaid, Frozen, Beauty and the Beast mainly) and our older kids enjoy some rides and things like Star Wars, some Disney and Pixar films. My DH enjoys Star Wars but is not a complete fan boy, and I like the Marvel titles and enjoy most Disney things.

The kids (and adults!) are going to get tired if we go flat out for the full 7-10 days. I'm not sure that prams will be helpful, given how big the kids will be, so we are considering having one parent take the big kids to the parks for perhaps 6-7 days (and another 1 day at Universal) with the other parent having a few rest days with the littler kids (maybe 2?). This will help us rein in the budget a bit, too, or give us some more cash to spend on Genie+ etc. We don't expect to be able to 'do' all of WDW but the time is precious and we'd like to enjoy watching shows and going on rides instead of just standing in lines most of the day.

I'm trying to read through all the relevant previous threads but I'd really appreciate your advice on the following, please:

1) What are the must-do parks for 5-6 year old girls?
2) How many rest days (if any) would you recommend? Or are we better off going home and resting for a bit and coming back in the same day and hitting the parks harder?
3) Apart from the early entry, does staying in a resort make the trip significantly better, given the price? Given the size of our family and our budget constraints, we would be looking at a Disney value hotel (so they won't appreciate as many of the older characters) or even camping at Fort Wilderness if we were to be staying in the Park. Otherwise, we were planning to stay in a cheaper AirBNB in Kissimmee and driving in each day.

Thank you so much for your help! The planning is exciting but daunting, and I know that y'all will be able to really help make this an awesome trip.

LeighM

The problem with large families staying on site at a Disney resort is that most of the rooms don't accommodate more than 4 over the age 3 (I think is the age). For a large group, you would need to look at DVC villas (renting points is more affordable), getting 2 value rooms with connecting doors. I think Art of Animation family suites only sleeps 6. The perks of staying on Disney property is staying within the Disney Bubble, not driving to the parks (which is a vacation in itself for my husband LOL), and ease of access between the resorts and parks. But costs really add up for large families and requires a lot of math to see what works best for your budget. Parking fees at the parks for non resort guests (Disney stopped charging parking fees at the resorts). Sometimes the package discount can save a lot of money on rooms/tickets if you stay on site. Most DVC rental companies don't allow cancellations but there is one company which does if you purchase their insurance. Late August and early September is very hot and humid so the youngest may need a mid day break. Also, keep in mind is peak hurricane season so anything can happen - if you rent DVC points, get insurance!!! The one plus with renting DVC is that you can get a kitchen, which allows you to buy groceries and save on food costs especially on breakfasts. I'm not sure if I can post here, but Google WDW for large families if you haven't already. There are a lot of good articles on the topic that might help you. As to your question what park is best for 5-6 year old girls, I would have to say all of them are great but definitely MK and AK. Epcot has Frozen, Remy, Nemo and the aquarium. Hollywood Studios would be last on that list.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jpinkc

Hi from Oz! My crew of 2 parents and 6 kids (they'll be aged between 5 and 10yrs) are planning a once in a lifetime trip to WDW in late August-early September 2023. This is part of a larger road trip through North America and we are feeling the pinch with costs of everything adding up. At this stage we are looking at 7-10 days in Orlando, with probably one day for Universal (park hopper to explore the Harry Potter worlds for the older kids) and the rest for WDW or as rest days inbetween the park days. Our littler girls love Disney princesses (Little Mermaid, Frozen, Beauty and the Beast mainly) and our older kids enjoy some rides and things like Star Wars, some Disney and Pixar films. My DH enjoys Star Wars but is not a complete fan boy, and I like the Marvel titles and enjoy most Disney things.

The kids (and adults!) are going to get tired if we go flat out for the full 7-10 days. I'm not sure that prams will be helpful, given how big the kids will be, so we are considering having one parent take the big kids to the parks for perhaps 6-7 days (and another 1 day at Universal) with the other parent having a few rest days with the littler kids (maybe 2?). This will help us rein in the budget a bit, too, or give us some more cash to spend on Genie+ etc. We don't expect to be able to 'do' all of WDW but the time is precious and we'd like to enjoy watching shows and going on rides instead of just standing in lines most of the day.

I'm trying to read through all the relevant previous threads but I'd really appreciate your advice on the following, please:

1) What are the must-do parks for 5-6 year old girls?
2) How many rest days (if any) would you recommend? Or are we better off going home and resting for a bit and coming back in the same day and hitting the parks harder?
3) Apart from the early entry, does staying in a resort make the trip significantly better, given the price? Given the size of our family and our budget constraints, we would be looking at a Disney value hotel (so they won't appreciate as many of the older characters) or even camping at Fort Wilderness if we were to be staying in the Park. Otherwise, we were planning to stay in a cheaper AirBNB in Kissimmee and driving in each day.

Thank you so much for your help! The planning is exciting but daunting, and I know that y'all will be able to really help make this an awesome trip.
1 Magic Kingdom. Cinderellas Royal Table if you can. My Daughter at 9 loved it. Her brother then 7 enjoyed it too. I dont know if the Pirates League and Mermaid Makeovers (they do Pirate Girls not just Mermaids) has returned they enjoyed that too. Kids did it several times. Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Meet and Greets are coming back too. Ariels Grotto, some love some dont, but if they are Mermaid fans its probably good. My kids hated Small World. Very few bad rides at MK. This probably will be a full day.
Epcot would be my next but at your kids ages might not be a full day. Frozen Ever After, they did have a good Princess Dining at Akershus (cheaper than Royal Table but good interaction with the kids lots of Princesses) but I dont think it has returned. The Seas, go see Crush its an interactive experience my kids loved. Figment, even in this butchering of the original ride small kids probably will like. Take them to Kringla Bakery, trust me. Ratatouille is not bad, kids will love. Grand Fiesta tour we used as a ride to let the kids rest :). Living with the land when they were small was the same. Soarin if they are adventurous, its not scary but they will be off the ground etc.
Animal Kingdom, if they love animals could be another all day park. Pandora they may not be familiar with so probably can pass it. Everest probably a bit much, depends on your child. The Safari is really good, Dinoland is gone if you didnt know. Dinosaur might be a bit scary for the younger kids. The Feathered Friends show is fun, The Petting Zoo, do go see the animals Disney does an amazing job with the actual zoo animals.
Hollywood Studios Toy Story Land, try and rope drop so you can do Slinky Dog early as its line is always long, dont forget Toy Story Mania. Frozen singalong I think is back, Star Wars Land Rise of the Resistance, Smugglers Run, both ok. Runaway Railway, Indy Stunt Spectacular and the Muppets if they know them, the others might be a bit much for the kids...

2 Day of rest for SURE after the MK day. Animal Kingdom closes the earliest about 7pm. The others vary. We did take the kids when small back for a couple of hours at MK. Honestly at that age group for our kids, they had melt downs to go to a rest break worse than waiting in the lines, if your not on property maybe schedule a lunch at one of the Resorts to get them out of the parks to calm and rest. The only time my kids were ready for breaks midday was on really hot days. First trip they were 7 and 5. But with your crew you might want to divide and conquer with the age spread.

3 Its a mixed bag to us now, Disney had taken away ALOT of the perks for staying on property. I would save the money and stay offsite nearby. If you use Genie+, I would think Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios might be the only parks to say you might need it.

Hey honestly for the rides and shows Youtube is your friend. Watch on ride videos and most of the shows have videos too. My daughter rode Tower of Terror at 10 and shes now our adrenaline junky. My son wouldnt ride it till he was 13. You know your kids best just be prepared for them to be in OVERLOAD when they hit the parks. There are good spots for breaks in most of the parks to calm them down make them drink water etc. Just remember Magic Kingdom will be the hardest day, the Lines, the Crowds, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jpinkc

Get yourself an experience travel agent!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For a group that large you'll need help making reservations and want somebody to be on top of them as making them can be confusing for first timers. Paging @Kingdom Konsultant and @wannabeBelle they'll be able to help you immensely with finding the right place to stay and places to dine for your family
Honestly that is a good planning idea with a large party.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
If you are staying onsite and want a package, everyone will need the same tickets. You can however buy tickets separately. I would look at the Disney Springs resorts where the 2-bedroom suites are considerably cheaper than onsite.

Whilst I agree it would be too much doing 5-7 days from rope drop to park close, you could also consider doing partial days in the parks with time for swimming etc. Tickets get cheaper per day, so buying 7 day tickets vs 5 day tickets is not a huge amount more.

Again, a TA would be able to help you, and it will cost you nothing. I echo the suggestion to contact the board sponsor @Kingdom Konsultant .

Upvote 0

Calmdownnow

Tent camping would be a nightmare in August/September, but consider renting an RV at Fort Wilderness. There is an "official" company that will rent you one, complete with outdoor furniture etc, everything you need in the van, do the set up on the site for you. Some can sleep up to 10. You're on site, so get whatever perks there may be and can self-cater meals and are out of the worst of the weather (except hurricanes).

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Get yourself an experience travel agent!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For a group that large you'll need help making reservations and want somebody to be on top of them as making them can be confusing for first timers. Paging @Kingdom Konsultant and @wannabeBelle they'll be able to help you immensely with finding the right place to stay and places to dine for your family
I'm here! My email is Pam@kingdomkonsultant.com

Pam

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom