Advice for a non-park day

muddyrivers

I would recommend taking a bus over to Port Orleans Riverside and walk around the resort. There's a lot of paths to walk along and be fully immersed. Then when you want to check out Disney Springs, walk down to the water and get on the boat that will take you down the Sassagoula River to the Disney Springs marina. It is a great ride especially on a warm day as there's a nice breeze!

danyoung56

One of our non-park days will be spent at Kennedy Space Center (again). But I guess that isn't an option if you're alone.

What's wrong with visiting KSC alone? Depends on if the OP has a car or not. But alone isn't a deal breaker.

From a frequent single park stormer. ;)

nickys

Premium Member
Walking the grounds of Wilderness Lodge and soaking up the lobby. Would head down to the dock and take their boat to Fort Wilderness and/or Contemporary

If you take the boat to Contemporary, I enjoy their area out by the lake. The shopping in their lobby is nice and the atmosphere is cool there.
You’d need to keep an eye out for when the boats around Bay Lake resume.

Currently you can get from WL to MK or from FW to MK.

Any other route and you’d need to take a bus. I would hope the boats return fairly soon, they’re the only ones not running now. I have a feeling they might not restart until Hoop De Doo returns.

Snake

Monorail crawl, Grand Floridian check out the new lounge, Contemporary grab a drink/appetizer at the California Grill bar no reservation needed, Polynesian hit Trader Sam's Grotto(opens 5pm?) and Tambu Lounge (5pm). Bus to BW, boat to Beach Club, then a bus to Disney Springs.

Lilofan

Monorail crawl, Grand Floridian check out the new lounge, Contemporary grab a drink/appetizer at the California Grill bar no reservation needed, Polynesian hit Trader Sam's Grotto(opens 5pm?) and Tambu Lounge (5pm). Bus to BW, boat to Beach Club, then a bus to Disney Springs.
There were guests years ago organizing this drinking event.

muddyrivers

I also forgot to mention if you go to Port Orleans Riverside (and I think a few other resorts still have it too), you can rent a bicycle (or a Surrey bike if you have multiple people with you) and ride along Port Orleans both Riverside and French Quarter. Heck, you're paying by the hour so you could take a bike down to French Quarter, eat some beignets for a snack, and bike back to drop off the bike and burn some calories 😂

Sbk1234

Original Poster
I came up with a list of my priorities of what I think I'd like to see. It is as follows:

Polynesian
Wilderness Lodge
Key West
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Boardwalk
Grand Floridian
Pop Century
Art of Animation
Fort Wilderness
Port Orleans
Disney Springs

Of course, if I end up staying at one of these resorts then I won't have to make a special trip to explore it.

Just to keep the conversation going because I'm bored right now, and it's fun for my anticipation to discuss the trip, what would be good ways of bundling these together? I know transportation will be an issue for some of these, since I won't have a car.

MickeyLuv'r

a few thoughts....

1. Universal is fabulous. If the parks don't appeal to you, there is much to see outside of the parks: Citywalk has shops, places to eat, a movie theater, mini-golf, and it would be super easy to meet your family for meals. You might even catch live music at various venues.
2. Another possible option would be to add a day to just your ticket. If you have multi-day tickets, the cost of adding 1 day is not that much - and you do NOT have to do it in advance. the difference between a 7-day and an 8-day ticket is about $25.

I'll continue using your list.

MickeyLuv'r

I came up with a list of my priorities of what I think I'd like to see. It is as follows:

Polynesian
Wilderness Lodge
Key West
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Boardwalk
Grand Floridian
Pop Century
Art of Animation
Fort Wilderness
Port Orleans
Disney Springs

Of course, if I end up staying at one of these resorts then I won't have to make a special trip to explore it.

Just to keep the conversation going because I'm bored right now, and it's fun for my anticipation to discuss the trip, what would be good ways of bundling these together? I know transportation will be an issue for some of these, since I won't have a car.
Poly - GF- MK - Contemporary are all on the monorail loop. WL is close, but you might have to go to the MK and transfer to either a bus or a boat. (In before times, there was a boat between CR and WL. There was also a boat that connected WL - Ft WL -and CR.) There should be a shuttle bus still connecting WL and Ft. WL. During the day, it is a short walk between the two, but walking at night is not allowed/discouraged. It is also easy to walk between Poly and GF. You can also walk between MK and CR (10min), and now MK and GF (15min). These hotels (Poly-GF- WL- Ft WL) also have boats to/from MK, except there is no longer a boat to CR.

You can get form any of the parks to any hotel, and often that is the best way to go between them. Either that, or pay for a taxi or uber.

The Boardwalk - Swan-Dolphin - Beach Club - Yach Club Hollywood Studios and Epcot are all connected by walkway and shuttle boat.
Pop and Art of Animation are bus and Skyliner only; they are connected by a bridge, and it is walkable. They surround a lake.
Port Orleans Riverside + French Quarter are sisters. There is a shuttle boat to DS (or was). Saratoga + Old Key West also have a boat to DS.

Skyliner connects: Epcot (back entrance in the World Showcase) to Riviera - CBR - HS - Pop/AoA. Another hotel not on your list is Coronado Springs. The new Gran Destino is nice, and the hotel has a lake in the middle. CBR also has a lake in the middle.

AKL - is only by bus from DS or one of the parks. You can explore both AKL hotels. They are connected by a walkway.

You didn't list it, but if they are open, the 3 All Star hotels are also a short walk from each other. They are accessible by bus from DS or any of the parks.

If you will be visiting near Easter, the Easter decor is traditionally worthwhile at the deluxe hotels. The moderate and DVC hotels have moderate decor. The values also have decor, but not as elaborate. That said, I don't think the special decor that existed prior to the pandemic will be back for 2022. Previously, all the hotels had fresh flowers year round, and especially nice flowers at the holidays. Currently, there are almost no flowers, at least not compared to the past. IF the chocolate Easter eggs return to the Grand FLoridian, they are worth seeing.

OH- the Grand Floridian also has a live pianist every afternoon. I think about 3pm. He is super. they used to have a big band type orchestra, but they are now gone. Boardwalk and POR also have/had live musicians. Jellyrolls has dueling pianos. It opens at 7pm.

There is also much to explore in Disney Springs, but much of it is shopping/eating.

Another option is to simply hang out at your own resort some of the day. Most of the pools are fairly interesting, and there are other resort activities. It will depend what re-opens. You resort might have shops, rental boats. Ft Wilderness has a bunch of activities including horseback riding, kayak rentals, and archery. Multiple hotels with lakes offer fishing. Mini-golf is another WDW option.

Getting a taxi and/or uber is another possible option if you wanted to go off-property with/without a car. If your family will be using a car to get to Universal. It is possible to drop them off, and that might save on parking fees. One more possible option...you might wish to use a portion of your solo day to take care of practical matters. That could be laundry, waiting on a grocery delivery, etc. Any number of possibilities. There is a very big outlet mall just off WDW property. It is a short ride away, with a pretty wide selection of stores. There are also many big box stores close to WDW. If there is anything your family maybe doesn't pack.

RoadiJeff

If you have a rental car there are all kinds of options. A non-park day doesn't mean you have to stay around Disney. Drive out to the coast, rent a jet ski and have an adventure. We did an escape room on a rest day and a few other odds and ends, non-Disney related.

Sbk1234

Original Poster
I definitely plan to stay at Disney for the day. Sitting by the pool doesn't really interest me. I hardly ever even use my own pool at home! lol.
I have a feeling we will be staying at an All-Star level hotel, so that's why I didn't list it. I've stayed at the All Star Movies a couple of decades ago, so I've seen them, and they aren't my favorite in terms of atmosphere, but they are kind of neat.
I've also stayed at Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach so they're lower priority. Of course, I've stayed at Port Orleans (both sections) but I'd like to see them again because the atmosphere there (especially Riverside) is so ideallic, it's almost utopean, in my opinion, even if I can't spell.
We will be there during spring break, since that's the only time my wife and I can get away from work (both educators), so the Easter decorations will likely be up, but I think the Disney Resorts are gorgeous year round.

Lilofan

You have no shortage of discount outlet shopping on International Drive. Pre covid, you would find busloads of Latin American guests and Brits buying merchandise in bulk with some LA guests reselling the items in their home countries.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom