Advice - Animal Kingdom Lodge

coachwnh

We have stayed there more than any other resort and love it! The view of the savannah when we return from the parks each day is amazing! Nothing beats waking up and enjoying your coffee while watching the animals from your balcony.

DSC06792.JPG

The cookie decorating in Boma is fun, too. And its free! Ask at check-in what time the other daily activities happen.

DSC06808.JPG

Spend time talking to the CMs from all over Africa. They are in the lobby each day and are always happy to chat and answer questions. Another great place to visit is the savannah viewing area behind the pool. We always loved it since there are CMs there to teach about the animals and rarely any other guests.

And most of all, have fun! Its a great resort and not nearly as far from everything as some people say. Plus, you'll love the smell of Boma each time you enter the lobby.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
It's our favorite resort as well - and I agree with @coachwnh about talking to the cast members from Africa. Also, take time to walk the various hallways. From what we were told on our last visit, it has the largest African art collection ON DISPLAY outside of Africa; there are museums which have larger collections, but not necessarily on display. And we love all the restaurants - even family members who have less adventurous palates find plenty they like to eat in them.

SDisney90

Thanks for replies so far. I think
It's amazingly themed and such a great lobby

I have to agree with you, have you ever been to the actual lobby or just seen pictures? I've never stayed there but I did go to visit and the lobby is breathtaking. Pictures do not do this resort any justice whatsoever. You will love being there from the review I have read..Also a tip on something I would love to do even though I am not staying there next year.. Head to the camp fire outside (not sure what time this starts) Cast members sit around the fire with guests making smores telling old African tales, seems like such a unique experience for all ages, enjoy!

Pluto15

Original Poster
That sounds great. I will be sure to look for the camp fire and talk with the cast members. I love the theme in Animal Kingdom and Wilderness Lodge. Something really unique about them.

SDisney90

That sounds great. I will be sure to look for the camp fire and talk with the cast members. I love the theme in Animal Kingdom and Wilderness Lodge. Something really unique about them.

Absolutely, they completely transport you and immerse the guests into the 'story' of the resort. I'm hoping to possibly stay in one of those 2 resorts for a night or two next year just to experience them myself.

PS Campfire is right outside of the lobby, impossible to miss. There is also rocking chairs here where you and your family can sit down and just relax, listening to the fire crackle:)

lostpro9het

After staying at BLT, BCV, BWV, OKW, and SSR, AKL is our favorite of the Deluxe resorts so far. We've stayed twice and have another visit booked for May. We hope to buy into DVC and make AKL our home resort come May. Here are a few pics from our last stay:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/akl-arusha-savanna-views.882804/#post-6041934

I would also recommend the night vision viewing. While some have expressed mixed reviews we had a great experience and its free! There is just so much to do there all day. Be sure to read up on your resort info sheet when you arrive.

Last edited:

dreamfinder

Check out the activities that are being held. I think you should still get a handout when you check in, but if not the front desk should be able to provide one or they are posted on the bulletin board down by the Boma restrooms. Plenty of unique cultural events and activities that go on daily, many are free. And just spend some time wandering around and checking it all out.

NormC

It is a beautiful resort. Be prepared for a lot of walking though. We were in Kidani on Pembe savanna and it is a long walk to the lobby to catch a van to Jambo for quick service food. Look at the African drum skins on the hallway lights. Most are burnt from the lightbulbs. That was sad. The rooms are really dark even with all the lights on. Try to do as many activities as you can. The resort has lots to offer.

Pluto15

Original Poster
Thanks all for your great tips and advice. Getting excited already. Has anyone used the fast pass plus system

DisneyPrincess5

We stayed for the first time this past November in a DVC Studio. Overall we had a great trip. We loved our room and savannah view in the zebra wing which was very quiet, loved Mara and Boma, and the lobby and grounds are gorgeous.
Truthfully the only thing we didn't like about the resort which will probably prevent us from staying again is that we didn't feel enmeshed in the Magic as the resort it too set back from our favorite parks for our liking. That's just personal preference though. I also dislike how it's a delux with no special transportation-for us that adds to the experience of a delux.
Enjoy your stay!

JasonDeyoung

image.jpg
You're going to love this resort. I stayed a week last May and am booked for a week this coming May for a race. The resort is amazing, the restaurants are awesome, the pool is huge and really nice, you can sit out side and watch the animals. I had a chair at the pool where I overlooked part of the safari while enjoying a cold drink. The rooms are really nice, not huge. I was in the main building so everything was a short trip for me. Pool, lobby, buses, gift shop, food, fitness room, laundry, etc all was just a short elevator ride for me. Yes it is a bit far away from the Magic Kingdom, was around a 15 min bus ride and Epcot was around the same. Other than that it was pretty flawless in my opinion. Enjoy!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

You'll love the hotel. Above is why we like this resort. We stay in the wing that faces the main building overlooking the pool. It was pleasant to sit on the balcony and people watch in the morning. So close to the quick service that is very conveniently right off the pool main building side, 2 minute to fill the coffee mug in the morning such a bonus. The food choices in the QS are many and vary widely. The seating area is pleasant inside or outside somewhat shielded from the pool. Being able to nab a table at a TS restaurant unless you've previously booked it is difficult. We have gone to the desk a few times as resort guests and they have wiggled us in a few times. Luck of the draw of the CM.

As lovely as the main building is other than leaving the building to go to the bus we never spent anytime in the lobby area other than checking in. The animals were nice to look at but we were not into spending time watching them. The outside grounds is a disappointment to me always. Aside from the pool area there is lots of dirt where the animals are. While some find the animals and their habitat beautiful I find it one of the ugliest grounds on property, again aside from the pool area. And for a Deluxe resort it is very contained. Very little walk-able grounds for the guests unlike the rest of deluxe and moderate resorts. My other downside is the buses since the DVC was added. We have had some very long waits at times and the commute to 3 parks is anything but quick especially to the MK and DTD. We have always allowed in our budget a couple of taxi rides when we don't want to wait it out. DTD and MK is when we have used them a few times as we tire as the trip goes on.

All in all we stay in the building we do because it is very pretty to have a pool view and is in very close proximity to food, beverage, pool, hot tub, bar and gift shop.

John

I just got back from WDW and stayed at the AKL for six days. I find the resort absolutely beautiful. if I had to choose one word to describe it?....Detail! Everywhere you look there is detail. Disney held back no expense when building this resort. You never stop finding new things. The restaurants are superb although I didn't eat at Jiko...my friends did and said it was one of the best dining experiences they had on Disney property anywhere.

Ambiance is its middle name....I thought the resort was dimly lite but after a few days it was just a part of the ambiance. Its rich and thick.

What I didn't like was the long bus rides. The ride to DTD was extremely long but you might have to chalk that up to the construction around DTD. I don't think there is another resort in the United states where you get up in the morning and look out your window and find a giraffe.

HouCuseChickie

We spent 5 days there in 2013. I was really worried since there are some similarities to WL and I was not a fan of WL. However, we all loved AKL! I liked the room décor a lot and loved having the animals off of our balcony. We were booked in a pool view room, but at 60 day online check in...we had 3 different savannas (non-Arusha) as room preference options. While we've had great CMs at most of the resorts, we really loved how AKL has CMs that can offer more educational experiences for the kids. The girls learned about drumming and animals in the lobby of Jambo and over at Kidani, we had a CM in Sanna explain how the restaurant was designed like many of the traditional aspects of where she grew up in Africa. There was another African CM outside at Kidani who had all kinds of info on the savanna and some stories about the specific animals.

Now, I know people have issues with the distance and how they add up to long bus rides. This is true, it does take longer, but the buses were always there. Meaning, we were spending less time waiting for a bus and more time actually on that bus at least getting to where we needed to go. Does it make a difference? To me it does. We had one stay (at a different WDW resort that was more conveniently located) and we had atrocious bus service. I mean...it was a nightmare...every day...every time we needed a bus. So, I will gladly take a slightly longer bus ride from a more distant resort than 35-45 min waits for a bus at a better located one.

lostpro9het

Meaning, we were spending less time waiting for a bus and more time actually on that bus at least getting to where we needed to go. Does it make a difference? To me it does. We had one stay (at a different WDW resort that was more conveniently located) and we had atrocious bus service. I mean...it was a nightmare...every day...every time we needed a bus. So, I will gladly take a slightly longer bus ride from a more distant resort than 35-45 min waits for a bus at a better located one.
This is a GREAT point! While I still stand by my opinion that the bus ride isn't as bad as one make it sound, what @HouCuseChickie states here was also our experience. We never waited long for bus like we did for some other Deluxe or Value resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom