Advice about Disney Needed

Davis224

Original Poster
I am looking to get the oppinions of fellow Disney World fans.

I love Disney World, by far my favorite place in the world to visit.

So here in lies my problem. I have the opportunity to move to Florida to pursue a new career.

Being within an hour or Disney every day would be amazing. But would it lose some of it's magic.

I only visit Disney once or twice every few years, and each time is better than the last. . . But would moving to the Orlando area take away from the Magic?

I'm looking for the oppinions of you ladies and gentleman. I am sure that some one out there on these boards has had a similar discussion or been in this situation.

Thessair

I live a little less than four hours away, not as close as some but nowhere near as far as others. (Actually, I should be moving to Orlando soon.) I'm usually down there every six weeks or so and, personally, the enchantment of WDW hasn't worn off on me yet. It doesn't become tedious or boring the more you're there, it's kind of like an old friend you're always happy to see. But, that's just my $.02. :D

Bliff

Go for it!

First, let me say that this is a problem I wish I had...

My advice would be to take Disney out of the equation and decide on two other factors - is it a job you really want, and is it worth it to move?

Being from Maine, I can appreciate the value of not "overdoing" Disney - we usually go once a year and it never gets stale.

No one says that if you move to Florida, however, that you have to do Disney every weekend. There's lots more in Florida to do than Disney (of course, nothing as fun), and you can still limit your visits to once or twice a year. Being from Maine, one might suspect that I dine on lobster 5 times a week (it IS the best in the world!), but again, that would take the fun out of it.

So - if it's a good job opportunity and you don't mind relocating from your present home, I say go for it!

Davis224

Original Poster
The hard part is taking WDW out of the equation. I think the job is a great opportunity, and I would take the position in a heartbeat.

Drawing up a good ol T Table to weigh the positives and negatives always ends up with Disney World as a big plus.

And I understand the lobster! I grew up minutes from Boston. And you're right just because you love something doesn't mean you'll do it every day.

wdwmom2+1

we live about 2 hours away. we just try not to go too much we go to orlando area about 6 times a year usually 6 times to seaworld and on two of those trips to disney and one of those trips all the parks. so basically 1 big trip every may and 1 disney/seaworld trip in december or so and then 4 small getaway trips to seaworld. disney and the whole area hasnt lost its magic for us! but we have some friends who would go to disney once a month or more and they go t so sick of it and so did the kids:eek:

we plan on moving to orlando in about a year! we will keep the magic by doing the same thing we'll getaway with one big trip a year staying in a hotel and then maybe about 4 mini trips to disney or seaworld etc through out the year

Bliff

Then, my friend, I think you've already made your decision.

I notice now your location is Marshall University - are you a student just graduating? If so, then grab this job!! Good jobs are hard to come by at this point, so if this is a job you really want, take it!

Also, if you are indeed a student, I assume you're not "taken" yet, and tied down with a house and family, so now's the time to make that move.

You can always keep in touch with Boston sports at the ESPN Club, too - a great place to watch the Sox lose and the Pats win!
:lol:

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
To have such options...

For friends of mine in the Orlando area, they take different approaches that manage to keep Disney fresh, even though they visit about once a month.

First off, they don't do the parks the way we do, hitting all the E-tickets, seeing the parades and shows each time, trying to pack in each park...

Rather they go to one specific area that has a particular "theme" Epcot has the flower and garden event, food and wine as well as holiday specials. Magic Kingdom has its special events as do the others. Likewise, you have limited run live entertainment. There is much in the parks that people overlook that you can take full advantage of.

There is also a golf course or two around I think :lol:

corran horn

Originally posted by Davis224

Being within an hour or Disney every day would be amazing. But would it lose some of it's magic.

It depends on who you are. We live about half way between Disney and the airport on 417. It takes about 20 minutes for us to get to Disney.

We go pretty often...a few times a month probably. The wife is a Disnoid and I'm....tollerant is the word I'd use. The only thing that really wears at me when we go is the constant need to go into all the shops. After a year living down here and going to Disney a lot I can't stand going into the shops anymore because they're all the same now it seems. Also, I can't stand the taste of a Disney hamburger or chicken strips anymore because I have them so often. I know...it seems silly.

It's the little things though. When we go to the movies we go to the AMC theaters at PI. At first that was kind of weird to me. One day I had a work conference at the Swan and I was sitting idly at stop light and just happened to turn my head and there's the Tower of Terror. It's kind of surreal.

Driving through the 'Walt Disney World' gates on the highway doesn't have the mystique that it used to with me, but it still gives me a little bit of a jazz.

stitch131313

I live about one and a half hours from Disney and normaly go quite often. I can say that going so often means you get to see things that you didn't see before. You can appreciate all the little things around the parks that you wouldn't get to see if you go only two times a year.

Disney2002

I, personally, could never live in Florida... period.

What's more, I know that I would definitely start to lose affection for the mouse house if I were anywhere nearby. Absence makes the heart grow fonder... it's really true.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Well, having grown up in fla, I can tell you that it's the best State in the land. I miss it terribly, and can't wait to have the opportunity to move back. As for DW, I grew up visiting lots, usually twice a year or more. Then I lost touch with the Disney magic as life happened. But after having gotten back in touch with my Disney roots, there's nothing better. And with all there is to see and do, I can't wait to get started all over again. I say take advantage of this opportunity, if it's something you really want. And good luck!!!

cloudboy

What's wrong with Florida?

And the lack of anything but tourists? Having visited friends down there (well, the one left now who managed to stay down there), I have to say there is not a lot to central Florida. There's no character, no community or centers or anything like that. Just strip malls, chains, and developments. Is there such a thing as mom-and-pop store or individual restaurant?

Seriously. Every trip I try and make a point of hunting out something unique and non-gimicky in the area.

What would you list as the little reasons for living in Florida? Not big things like cost or being close to Disney, but little things like a favorite old store or park or anything like that? Something you can only find in that very one spot

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
good things about Florida--

1- cheap housing
2- good weather
3- no state income tax
4- no vehicle inspection
5- beautiful wildlife
6- Orlando
7- Miami/Ft. Lauderdale

what's bad

1- tourists
2- I4
3- I95
4- tourists that drive
5- Tampa
6- Jacksonville
7- politics

and why are the tourists bad? Well... for one, Florida actually has more than one industry... Florida is relying less and less on tourism as the other industries here develop (what other ones you ask? Banking, Commerce, Defense, and Technology are some...)

and to the person who said if it wasn't for tourism WDW wouldn't be here.... there were almost no tourists in Orlando until WDW came here. Orlando was a stopover point on the way to the beach... nothing more.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
One more for MKT

I agree with your good (and bad lists) but have one more big one to add to the bad...schools. Some areas aren't too bad, but most areas heavy in Sr. Citizens vote down every budget. Schools are overcrowded, buildings inadequate and teachers paid - just OK.
Just my opinion.

cloudboy

So what is special about Orlando? Not trying to be a putdown here - just asking - what does it have that no place else does? What's a really cool, free or at least cheap, thing to do that isn't touristy or something you can find anywhere?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
thing to do that are not touristy...

• Winter Park, FL
  • Downtown Orlando
  • Orlando Broadway Series
  • Earthday Birthday
  • Heterosexual Day Parade (seriously!) :lol:
  • Go to Miami
  • Go wakeboarding (Orlando is the wakeboard mecca of the world)
  • laugh at the people from up north during the winter

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom