Adventurer's Hope?

Thunder Kz

Original Poster
Last weekend (Saturday), my wife and I went to P.I.
Before some of you sensitive-type / anti-Adventurer's Club members get worked up, I think we can all agree that P.I. as we know it is gone. BUT, consider this:

FULL REPORT: First, this Saturday, P.I. was packed (see #241 Save the Adventurer's Club). The street was crowded, and the clubs were in fact "swarmed." For those of you who don't know, queue lines have been set up outside all of the clubs. Second, the Adventurer's Club wasn't just "swarmed," it was slammed. We couldn't move, and we couldn't even go downstairs. There was a line to get in. It was a different cast while we were there (except the butler and president, it appeared from our point of view anyway). However, when we left (around midnight), the familiar French Maid and someone else (can't remember who) came into the Club. (P.S. some guy had his KID in the Adventurer's Club: (1) that's wrong, and (2) the kid was taking up prime real estate. Just one guy's opinion.)

THE INTERESTING PART: When we left, we got stopped by a survey cast member. He asked us the following:
1. Where in DTD did we go? Answer: PI Only.
2. Did we do any shopping? Answer: NO! (Please, no Hanes T-Shirt Shop!)
3. Did we eat/drink anywhere? Answer: NO! (Enough restaurants already!)
4. What clubs did we visit? Answer: All of them.
5. ANNUAL INCOME?!?! (Options were given and we were asked to give a corresponding letter in response, only).
6. Zipcode.
7. What resort were we staying at.
8. Ages.

THOUGHTS: I for one cannot see Disney asking these questions if it was certain all clubs will be removed. Clearly, Disney is concerned with shopping/dining. We have ZERO interest in more shops/themed restaurants. In our opinion, there weren't many people in the shops in P.I. on Saturday (maybe a couple in Harley, but I didn't see anyone in the surf shop). The problem seems clear: PI is in between Marketplace and Westside, and PI busts up the flow of traffic in a not-so-family-oriented way. But, in light of these survey questions and the HUGE success and outcry regarding Adventurer's Club, I think it is very possible Disney might just save it.
2883191523_066cfdb9f5.jpg

ImaYoyo

Just an FYI, the DTD Research Team has been doing surveys for years. As far as I can remember since at least 1999. And they usually include very similar questions, but worded differently than what you have posted.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Just an FYI, the DTD Research Team has been doing surveys for years. As far as I can remember since at least 1999. And they usually include very similar questions, but worded differently than what you have posted.

While I truly hope the OP is right and there is hope for some change of heart/mind, I can confirm YoYo's comment above. I took an extremely similar survey August 2006.

wdwfan22

They have been asking those questions for awhile now. We were hit with them the last time we visited PI which was over 6 months ago.

Disney_Freak429

On Topic: You never know maybe they are at least thinking about the idea of turning it into a Dinner show? *crosses fingers*

Off Topic: Anyone who is daring the final night for the love of all that is good VIDEO & PICTURES & lots of them. I can't express how bummed I am about not being there for it.

nbodyhome

I was at the AC a couple of weeks back - it wasn't busy at all. Okay, a little for an hour or two, then it died down dramatically. The Hoopla was changed to an earlier time.

The AC couldn't even hold a crowd each night for it's last few weeks. I would be surprised if Disney kept it going, even though the Club is unique and deserves it.

AndrewRnR

Walked through PI tonight... it was empty. Most of the clubs weren't crowded (Adventures Club was at capacity). Why is it that 7/8 months ago Adventures Club would be empty? Heck even this time last year it was empty. Sure it is a cool concept but it seems like the increase lately is mainly people giving the club one last visit.

Call me crazy but from a business standpoint I really can't fault Disney. I rarely ever see much of a crowd at PI (I live in Orlando so I'm at Downtown Disney often) so it makes perfect sense to replace the concept with something has the potential to make revenue for 12-14 hours a day. Sure some of the concepts are neat and all but if you owned the Adventure's Club and weren't making money and had the chance to turn it into something that would actually make you money then would you still stay on the path to lose money? It would be interesting to see the breakdown of an average night (before the announcement of the clubs closing was made) of just how many people actually paid and how many people (i.e. cast members) got in the clubs free.

Mansionbutler

when i was down from september 5-12 it was packed no line to get in but full enough that every showing was packed and there where people outside trying to get in. i think it is more castmembers there then people from outside on vacation except a few like me who mad the trip down for one more hoopla!

Thunder Kz

Original Poster
My point is that Disney IS business savvy. If they've been doing the surveys for awhile, I've got to think they've been seeing results similar to ours. It's critical to keep in mind that people are just passing through to WS or Marketplace who aren't going to the clubs. That is an obvious reality, given the layout.

Consider this. There certainly aren't many people in Magnetron, and I haven't seen anyone buying $3,000 autographed pictures of the cast from Robocop III, and I doubt the two-story surf shop is raking it in...especially in this economy. I could be wrong, but I personally don't see it.

I'd be interested to see how City Walk is doing. Again, I'm not advocating to keep PI how it is. Many have said it's been empty as of a few months ago, and I completely agree. It was a ghostland. And, I haven't seen any "Save Motion" or "Save the BET Soundstage" posts. Something is not working, and I agree it's best to keep "24/7 revenue" generating. I'm just saying that I don't advocate razing PI for a Hanes T-Shirt Shop, extreme specialty shops, and more themed restaurants. Especially when something like Adventurer's is undeniably a unique favorite.

Thunder Kz

Original Poster

Just out of curiousity, different in substance or just in wording? If substance, what was different?

JoeZer

Steampunky Time Lord
I was down at WDW this past weekend as well, getting in to Orlando on Thursday 9/18/08. Went to visit the Adventurer's Club early in the evening Thursday night; got there about 10 minutes before club opening time for the night and there was a nice line waiting to get in (I was in a section of line looped around just along the outside of the AC's queue area).

By the time my pal and I got in, the downstairs was packing in fairly well...and was even more populated with guests when I got out of the "Balderdash Cup Contest" show.

Thunder Kz

Original Poster
Sure they've asked those questions before, but why would they continue to do so.

I know I'm grasping at straws.

My point exactly. The Research Team didn't exactly ask for my thoughts about Cranium Command when I came out of The Wonders of Life for the last time.

Not to burst anyones bubble but I was at a DTD meeting just a few days ago and they confirmed that all the clubs would be closing on the 27th, including AC. It wasn't exactly a super duper important meeting of CEO's or anything but none the less they did reiterate the fact that each club was closing.

CaptainMichael

Not to burst anyones bubble but I was at a DTD meeting just a few days ago and they confirmed that all the clubs would be closing on the 27th, including AC. It wasn't exactly a super duper important meeting of CEO's or anything but none the less they did reiterate the fact that each club was closing.

er...that's nothing new. It's obvious from the AC actors that the club is definitely closing...for now at least (still hoping for a future return).

Thunder Kz

Original Poster
er...that's nothing new. It's obvious from the AC actors that the club is definitely closing...for now at least (still hoping for a future return).

Right. I don't doubt that P.I. and all the clubs are shutting down for a complete overhaul on the 27th. The question is: what, if anything, will return?

Chape19714

There are celbrities in this photo: Cinderella, Lady Tremaine, Anastacia, and others.
Were you by chance in the club last Monday 9/15?

Based on that photo, it's far from packed, I can see carpet up near the restrooms. If you can see the carpet, it's not packed...:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom