Adventurer's Club Question...

Buried20KLeague

Hi all -

I'm a bit ashamed to say that in the 23 trips we've taken to WDW in the past 9 years, we've never made it over to the Adventurer's Club... Although that's all about to change. We leave to visit the World in just a few days, and the AC is on the list. Maybe more than once if we like it like I think we will.

But I'm hoping you all can give me some advice. The main reason we haven't ever been to the AC (or PI in general) is because we've had the kids with us, and we would have had to arrange other plans for them, and it always just felt like too much of a pain.

Well, they're a little older now... 11 and 9. What I'd like to know is... Should we take them with us to the AC? Would they be the only kids of that age group there? How "accepted" is it to bring kids? I mean, is it something that is "allowed", but you spend the whole time getting frowned upon by everyone else there? Would we feel awkward and out of place? Just knowing their personality and what they consider funny, they'd probably love it based on what all I've read... But I don't want to end up in a sticky situation.

I would consider my kids very well behaved, and I do my best to filter and shield what they see... Although I'm sure they probably see and hear WAYYY more than I would guess. PG-13 movies are usually fine for them, as an example.

So that's it in a nutshell. Any helpful advice is appreciated. :wave:

KYfriedPanda

My younger sister and I were taken to the AC when we were around that age, and the CMs there had a great time messing with us. I'm pretty sure they could tell we were the type that didn't mind being messed with, so if your kids have that type of personality, you're all set. Just as an example of what I mean, when we walked into the AC, a CM told my sister (who was walking in front of me) "there's nothing to be afraid of... everything here is safe... don't you worry one bit dear", and then walked back a step to me and said "be afraid... be very very afraid"... It was hilarious, and certainly a moment I will always remember from Disney.

On a side note, every time I've gone to the AC (about 5 times) there have not been many young children around, but there are always a few. So while I don't think your kids will feel out of place, it will be a bit of a culture shock after walking through the other disney parks where there's a plethora of youngsters.

Upvote 0

WDWKat26

Can I be honest? Please don't. This is a long, and over-debated topic on this board. Some people say yes, some people say no.

My honest opinion, as a fellow guest and Cast Member is to leave Pleasure Island to the Adults. It's the one place where adults can drink, kick back and enjoy themselves without worrying about kids in a BAR. Yes, that's right, a BAR. People think that it's okay because there's acting and shows, but it's still on an island with clubs and BARS. I know parents want to have a good time, but for the people who take the kids to the bar, makes it awkward for some adults.

Here's some posts from past debates:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=79905&highlight=kids+adventurer's+club

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=26429&highlight=kids+adventurer's+club

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=64423&highlight=kids+adventurer's+club

Upvote 0

brkgnews

Kids, as long as they are good with the PG-13 thing, are occasionally at the AC. Be forewarned, though... EVERYTHING is up for good-natured ribbing at the AC... your clothes, your habits, your way of speaking, and the fact that you "brought your kids to the bar." :lol:

Upvote 0

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
The adventurer's club is, even after 35 visits or more over the years, still one of my favorite places at WDW. I always recommend to visitors that they go, and committ to staying there for 90 minutes or so at least before deciding whether they like it or not. So, I encourage you to go.

As for the kids, I'm of two minds. Nothing happens at the AC that would necessarily be alarming if kids were in the room. There are a lot of double entendre's the kids might miss (OK) or understand (perhaps alarming to you, but not to them!). And you or the kids might be brought into the act, but that's no big deal, either (If I survived the embarassment of doing the bump a grind with Samantha Sterling, you can survive being made fun of having your kids at the AC).

On the other hand, as a previous poster said, it is a bar. And some people there like to kick back and not worry about kids, and might be annoyed by having them around. Not the point of "accidentally" spilling their drinks on you, but annoyed nonetheless.

My overall suggestion -- take the kids to the AC early in the evening one day, but clear out by 9 (at one point, AC was free until 9 pm, and I think it still is, although I could be wrong on that). They'll get a taste, you'll get a taste, and you'll be gone before the folks who most likely would be annoyed get there. If you like it, you can either get a babysitter for another night and go back, or you can gage whether a longer visit with the kids would be comfortable for all of you.

Upvote 0

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
Can I be honest? Please don't. This is a long, and over-debated topic on this board. Some people say yes, some people say no.

My honest opinion, as a fellow guest and Cast Member is to leave Pleasure Island to the Adults. It's the one place where adults can drink, kick back and enjoy themselves without worrying about kids in a BAR. Yes, that's right, a BAR. People think that it's okay because there's acting and shows, but it's still on an island with clubs and BARS. I know parents want to have a good time, but for the people who take the kids to the bar, makes it awkward for some adults.

Here's some posts from past debates:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=79905&highlight=kids+adventurer's+club

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=26429&highlight=kids+adventurer's+club

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=64423&highlight=kids+adventurer's+club

Thanks for your opinion, I appreciate it.

That being said, the threads you pointed to all had people on both sides of the fence there. Some people say no way, others say they love it.

I've gotta say, I don't know how much I agree with the "taking your kids to a bar" angle though... For example... We wouldn't take the kids with us to a place here at home that was SOLELY a bar... Where everyone there was on a mission to drink, and there was nothing else going on other than loud music. However we WOULD sit at the bar of a restaurant with them there if we had to wait an hour for a table, let's say (and the wife and I would probably have a couple drinks). There's a bar there... There are people drinking... But the mission of most people at that bar isn't to get slammed. I kinda view the AC the same way... Who knows, maybe that's a faulty analogy.

I'm starting to think that maybe the best plan would be to go without them early on in the trip, and then if I think it would be acceptable and we wanted to visit a second time, take them then. :shrug:

Upvote 0

WDWKat26

That's a great idea. There are many in-room sitting services and such that can be offered when parents want to have a night out. Honestly, i've never had a problem with the kids in a bar. However, i've been to the club enough times to see adults in a drunken stupor that might be a little much for the kids to witness. It's honestly your judgement, but definitely check it out first before you choose to take them there. Also, Mondays and Thursdays are usually pretty busy because those are the 2 nights that Cast Members like to go out and...ahem...get absolutely sloshed. But, Sundays, Tuesdays and Wedensdays have always been pretty mellow in my opinion.

Upvote 0

slacker

My dad and I went by ourselves this past trip because we didn't think my younger siblings were allowed in... only to find a few kids there when we arrived. After pointing out that kids WERE, in fact, allowed, I didn't even really notice them there anymore. We felt silly because I know my brother would have really enjoyed himself, he'll come with us this summer.

In my opinion, if you don't mind your kids being around drunk adults, then you're fine. If the adults are truly getting smashed, then they surely wouldn't notice a couple of kids... I know I wouldn't! :wave:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If at all possible get a sitter. If that is not possible I would not keep them there past about 9:00. The shows get a little more PG-13 as the night goes on and the CM's will tone it down if there are small kids there which as mentioned before is not really fair to the other guests.

Upvote 0

CaptainMichael

I'd prefer it if children were not allowed on Pleasure Island. It just isn't the proper environment to have children in IMO. I wouldn't bring my kids to Bourbon St., so why would I bring them to PI? Granted the two are very different but in essense, the same. Just because it's Disney, doesn't make it safe.

Sure, you can bring them, but be prepared to be picked on all night by the Adventurers for getting "liquored up" with your children in a bar.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom