Adventureland Veranda - Skipper Canteen restaurant

JoeCamel

Thank you! I couldn't wait to see it for myself. It is continuity that I was hoping for and they did it so maybe there is hope for future projects.
So...I didn't want to seem like a weirdo if I got caught photographing the loo, so I took a picture of the detail in the sink.

View attachment 123016

The bathroom is not plain. This design aspect is present throughout. I can't believe I am discussing bathroom theming. I have officially reached the depths of Disney fanboyism. LOL!

note2001

I will be honest and say I am a bit surprised at some of the responses but that is ok. As I always say, everyone has their own opinion. What I was hoping for were suggestions from the people that find the theming lacking. When it comes to food, you either like it or you don't. Theming is where there is room for debate. For me, I thought it was great.

So which room did you end up eating in? (Sorry if I missed it)
I think if I were put in the main dining hall, my server would have to be at the tip top of her game to make up for not being placed in one of the other two heavily themed rooms. I feel bad for the servers as although I wouldn't cut her tip or kick up a fuss, I know I'm not alone and some folk would take it out on her.

Fox&Hound

I love the theming of the SEA room, I guess I thought the whole restaurant would take on that theme. I get the story they are selling about the mess hall, but to me, it just looks kind of...simple. Isn't Avatar a mess hall too? I guess what I'm trying to say is that when Disney can do the level of theming of the SEA room or BOG, it seems like a disappointment to eat in the mess hall.

But, theming can change over time and for now I congratulate Disney for providing another place to eat in a super crowded park!

flyerjab

So which room did you end up eating in? (Sorry if I missed it)
I think if I were put in the main dining hall, my server would have to be at the tip top of her game to make up for not being placed in one of the other two heavily themed rooms. I feel bad for the servers as although I wouldn't cut her tip or kick up a fuss, I know I'm not alone and some folk would take it out on her.

I knew all about the restaurant going on so we specifically requested the SEA room. It was very nice and our server was great. The first thing he deadpanned was asking us if this was our first time here. My wife and I laughed but my kids were confused which made it even funnier.

Seriously though, it is hard to do it justice in photographs. I know some have questioned the lighting in the rooms. I am getting a sense that some were hoping that this was a much darker space, with trinkets and objects absolutely everywhere from all of the adventures that the SEA members have gone on. That type of over the top theming is not what they were going for I suppose. I think that they wanted a slightly more refined approach, using the rooms like a fancy, hidden room, as well as the Falls family room. I actually thought that the Mess Hall was nice. I think you really need to be standing in it to fully appreciate it. I fully respect everyone's opinions though.

TyTrap

I think I really expected it to feel more like the Adventurers Club. I didn't have really high expectations so I wasn't expecting much, but I was expecting more than this based on the way Disney had hyped it up. It seems to be a decent restaurant but it doesn't appear to be on the same level as other recent Disney dining projects like Trader Sam's, BOG or Jock Lindsey.
I agree when I saw what this place looked like I was disappointed I had high expectations for this

note2001

I think folks reactions depend upon their frame of reference. Those who had been to the Adventurers Club expected the environment to reflect more along those lines. Those who had not, and knew almost nothing about it expected something to fit in with the area and Jungle Cruise, which makes more sense to me, and that is exactly what they created. I see this as reflecting the home of the explorer himself, showing off his collections and pieces of personal history.

I like it. Since this was constructed from a pre-existing location, I didn't expect as many little details as they added. The butterfly nook will be immensely popular, but they knew this while designing it.

Last edited:

Rteetz

The rumor on Disney Twitter is Skipper canteen won't be taking ADRs anytime soon. They have no plans for when or if ADRs will happen.

brihow

I think a lot of the people who are dissapointed (myself included) don't have an issue with the direction they chose to go, just that they didn't go far enough. I think the place could have used double, if not triple the amount of antiques/chachkies/collectibles/wall art etc. It just looks very bare and sparse. I also agree with whoever said that the lighting looks WAY too bright. These things would be easy to fix, though I doubt Disney will make any changes (except to the food).

rkelly42

The menu to me looks good, some unique options to chose from. The kids menu I guess could be lacking if the only thing they will eat is chic fingers and hot dogs. As for the decor, that is something I will have to experience before I make any judgement.

Chris82

I think a lot of the people who are dissapointed (myself included) don't have an issue with the direction they chose to go, just that they didn't go far enough. I think the place could have used double, if not triple the amount of antiques/chachkies/collectibles/wall art etc. It just looks very bare and sparse. I also agree with whoever said that the lighting looks WAY too bright. These things would be easy to fix, though I doubt Disney will make any changes (except to the food).

I won't judge the restaurant's current decor having not personally been in it. However, speaking generally and personally, I hope when I do visit it, I'll discover that they've left all the "authenticity," "refinement," and "class" to Epcot and Animal Kingdom. I want Adventureland to be about outrageous, grotesque tiki-kitsch :D

note2001

I won't judge the restaurant's current decor having not personally been in it. However, speaking generally and personally, I hope when I do visit it, I'll discover that they've left all the "authenticity," "refinement," and "class" to Epcot and Animal Kingdom. I want Adventureland to be about outrageous, grotesque tiki-kitsch :D
I think you just described Trader Sam's Grog Grotto & Tiki Bar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom