Adventureland Smoking Section Removed

Wdw62114

Smoking is not only a waste of money and bad for you, but it's bad for those around you. That's why smoking in the parks is something I do not think should be allowed.

That is, unless the sections are far off (out of sight, preferably) from other guests. And if children are not allowed near them. Can't stand little girls with their daddies in the smoking sections, it's horrible. That would be a reasonable but big step foward.

But I really do think WDW should just completely bad regular smoking in the parks. Yes, I did say that. They fully can and should. Hey, maybe they'll happen to stop bad habits and save some lives by doing so. Smoking is not just a personal decision, because it's disturbing and unhealthy to those around. That's why it needs to end. Vaping is less disturbing and not really unhealthy to those around, so I'd be in full support of vaping sections only, regular smoking banned. If the guests can't help themselves, they should either leave the park to smoke, or shouldn't visit until they stop their unhealthy habit. That would be a huge step foward.

I'd even be in favor of a ban on smoking across the resort. That would cause too many operational headaches, so I know they wouldn't do it, but it'd be THE STEP foward.

Sorry if I sound harsh. But it'd help everyone. It'd be good for the other guests and it'd be good for the people who are motivated to change their habits. And I think it'd be good for Disney's reputation. If not, they'd certainly look good in the history books. Hey Bob Iger, it would improve your legacy! What are you waiting for?!

It ironic and too sad that the company's founder died from smoking, yet 60 years later, people are allowed to make the same mistake in his parks. At least Walt didn't smoke around children.

As for today's news, well, if I'm understanding correctly, it's a replacement. So there are still three sections, just possibly better placement. Sounds like a positive and a small step forward. EDIT: I was not understanding correctly. Two smoking sections were removed, and one was added, though outside of the park.
Eggs are bad for people too so I think WDW needs to ban any and all eggs as well :p

worldfanatic

A ban would be unenforceable.

And you'd still have a free for all.

Why would it be unenforceable??
Smoking's been banned a lot of places, and it's been enforced.
Sure you've got occasional fool that lights up where they're not supposed to. But when management is serious about not allowing it, smoking is a rare occurrence. Especially when word gets out that it won't be tolerated.
The idea that there would be a "free for all" is ridiculous.

mickhyperion

Maybe Disney should create small indoor smoking areas like airports have. The smoke could be contained, properly ventilated, and no one who doesn't want to breathe it in would have to. They could place one in each land/pavilion for convenience, theme them accordingly so they are discreet, and then anyone who would like to smoke could do so without disturbing others or find themselves being looked down upon while they do it.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Why would it be unenforceable??
Smoking's been banned a lot of places, and it's been enforced.
Sure you've got occasional fool that lights up where they're not supposed to. But when management is serious about not allowing it, smoking is a rare occurrence. Especially when word gets out that it won't be tolerated.
The idea that there would be a "free for all" is ridiculous.
CM "please dont smoke sir"
Guest "make me"
CM "please wait here for security"
Guest walks away.

bethymouse

My husband smokes, and sadly he is seriously addicted! One of his favorite smoking spots is the one at BTMRR. If Disney banned smoking altogether, he'd just find a "remote" spot ( perhaps at some of the now "gone" smoking sections) and smoke.:( It is a horrible habit, and very bad for us, but very difficult to have a completely smoke free outside environment.:(

SteamboatStitch

If people wanna suck on cancer sticks, that's their business, but I want it to be as far out of my way as possible. Unfortunately you still have to deal with the odor of the smokers themselves. Clothes and breath like a burning dumpster fire. To clarify, not saying smokers are bad people or anything, but if there is something that can fully mask that smell I've yet to encounter it.

BrittanyRose428

I don't judge smokers, I understand that it's an addicting habit, and while I want absolutely nothing to do with it, I can understand why someone who does smokes would want there to be enough smoking locations that it isn't inconvenient for them to light up in the parks.

ALTHOUGH as a (now grown up) child of parents who smoked everywhere inside our house, as well as in the car while I was growing up (and even in restaurants when I was a lot younger and there were smoking seating areas) I am 100% in support of children not being allowed in the smoking areas. As a kid, I would try endlessly to get my parents to stop smoking, or at the very least get them to stop smoking in front of me, and I constantly felt like I had no control over it and the whole situation was completely unfair.

My child-self would have absolutely loved if Disney would have not allowed me to go with them to a smoking area. For something that I felt was a constant struggle, I would definitely be supportive that.

Minthorne

Smoking themed thread - always interesting....
To be fair, I've found scooters to be far more hazardous to my health when in the parks. I have the scars to prove it (I'm looking at you lady- who made my Prince Caspian experience more bloody and painful then it already was!)

JERiv

Personally, I'm happy about it. I've always had a strong dislike for cigarette smoke. But that's just me.

My two cents:
  1. Smoking's banned in most places in the United States nowadays. Somehow the world has not come to an end. And smokers have somehow (willingly or not) adjusted to this reality.
  2. A smoker's desire to light up doesn't trump the huge majority of park visitor's desire to not inhale nasty cigarette smoke.
  3. "It will become a free for all". Sure. If you say so. Until self entitled jerks start lighting up wherever, blow smoke at someone's baby (intentional or not), and the parents of said baby react by physically showing the smoker where he/she can put out the cigarette.
It's not just smokers who can get emotional about smoking.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Personally, I'm happy about it. I've always had a strong dislike for cigarette smoke. But that's just me.

My two cents:
  1. Smoking's banned in most places in the United States nowadays. Somehow the world has not come to an end. And smokers have somehow (willingly or not) adjusted to this reality.
  2. A smoker's desire to light up doesn't trump the huge majority of park visitor's desire to not inhale nasty cigarette smoke.
  3. "It will become a free for all". Sure. If you say so. Until self entitled jerks start lighting up wherever, blow smoke at someone's baby (intentional or not), and the parents of said baby react by physically showing the smoker where he/she can put out the cigarette.
It's not just smokers who can get emotional about smoking.

Irony is an alien concept in the colonies?

StarWarsGirl

Big mistake.

When guests light up anywhere there will be complaints.

Control it. Don't drive it underground.
As someone with asthma, I completely agree.

Better to have more smoking areas which can be avoided than more people smoking in non-designated areas. There are too many rude people who will light up anywhere as it is. This only makes the problem worse.

StarWarsGirl

I heard that CMs are not allowed to tell a guest to stop smoking, only security can. I may be wrong about that but its just what I heard
I don't know if this is a WDW policy or not, but I was at Aulani sitting by the pool, and someone lit up at the table next to ours. I have asthma and can't be around cigarette smoke, so my mother found a manager who very nicely referred the guest to the designated area. Problem solved, no angry guest. I have no idea why the same cannot be true of WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom