Adventureland Smoking Section Removed

entangled

I'm no advocate for removing those sections at any means (I understand that smoking is a personal choice!) but as someone who has had to clean those smoking sections, I can say they probably wont be missed by custodial staff.

Where was this located in Adventureland? I know it's moved around a couple of times in the last few years. The worst location was when it was across from the (then) Aloha Isle. Nothing like getting a fresh Dole Whip along with the delightful smell of secondhand smoke.

rob0519

I love pontification like this, ban it until its something you enjoy. Then whine like a skewered pig. But but but.

Zealots make me sick. So much for tolerance.

Oh and before you start hen, I've never smoked in my life, too busy choking on all the bull spouted by muppets to get a good drag.

We all know they won't ban smoking or any other "bad" behavior. Disney management has become cowards when it come to enforcing their own policies when there is a possibility they would upset a customer who controls their almighty dollar. Many companies have banned smoking. The first time an errant smoker accidentally sets something on fire and anyone gets hurt, just watch the lawsuit.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
We all know they won't ban smoking or any other "bad" behavior. Disney management has become cowards when it come to enforcing their own policies when there is a possibility they would upset a customer who controls their almighty dollar. Many companies have banned smoking. The first time an errant smoker accidentally sets something on fire and anyone gets hurt, just watch the lawsuit.

Smoking is banned in the UK, its killed the pub and club trade, though some suspect that was the govts intention. So yes they may have financial motives. But in this day and age technology exisits to provide a comfortable environment for smokers while not discomforting non smokers. But that would cost, cheaper tostick them in a corner and treat them like lepers. Funnily enough large swathes of the UKs new population recreationaly smoke, the none smoking laws dont apply to their tab dens.

Bolt

Original Poster
I am a smoker. I'm usually always on the smoking threads of Disney forums defending the smokers and attacking the anti-smokers who claim they have the right to not be around smoking. I can honestly say that this decision to remove the Adventureland smoking section was a good choice by Disney. I feel it was too close to the major walkway same as the one that used to be right on the side of the castle on a walkway that is also gone. I dont get why they removed the Tomorrowland one as it was tucked away in the back and guests never really went back there anyways. When I was there last year after it was removed, it was still pretty much a smoking section as dozens of people were smoking there. CMs walked right up while cleaning the ground and didnt say a word. I heard that CMs are not allowed to tell a guest to stop smoking, only security can. I may be wrong about that but its just what I heard. I will not smoke in Adventure land anyways because come to think of it, I dont think I ever used that location anyways. Now if they take away the one in Frontierland, I will be ****ed
Cast Members can tell you to stop smoking. I think there is a forgiveness given if they really are not bothering others. The people smoking down Main Street and real crowded areas are the real targets.

KingdomofDreams

Perhaps this particular location was less than desirable, but people smoke and people who smoke need to be able to have a cigarette or they become very irritable. Between the heat and the crowds, WDW can be a bit stressful for many people. Couple that with a smoker who can't find a place to smoke and it's a less than pleasant outcome. There is no harm in providing a small, somewhat isolated spot in various areas of every park and at the resort hotels for guests who smoke to partake. It takes nothing away from other guests as long as the designated areas are located appropriately out of the way.

DisneyDebRob

It's not bad behavior as you put it, it's a addiction. Bad behavior is the numerous children running around in restaurants while the parents say nothing. It's also the few that get drunk at Epcot and become belligerent to others. That is bad behavior.
According to you, maybe we should ban children? Stop all alcohol sales? Stroller rentals? Because we know how they roll up on people's ankles everyday. Like I said, there are many out of the way places in all the parks to put smoking sections. They just, for some reason, are not putting them there.

Next Big Thing

Yes, it is.

A ban would be unenforceable.

And you'd still have a free for all.
Yeah, this is pretty stupid.

I worked Custodial on Main Street last year and was constantly asked about smoking sections. When I told them they had to go to adventureland they were annoyed.

Now they'll likely just light up anywhere in the park. You can't eliminate all of the smoking sections and expect everyone to go by those "rules".

roj2323

Big mistake.

When guests light up anywhere there will be complaints.

Control it. Don't drive it underground.
While I agree in part that providing places is easier than Dealing with guest complaints that particular smoking location was horrible. It was impossible to walk past it without being blasted with smoke.

Goofyernmost

Big mistake.

When guests light up anywhere there will be complaints.

Control it. Don't drive it underground.
Absolutely, anyone that has never had the habit has no idea how powerful it is and how militant those affected can be about it. Taking away acceptable places to smoke (whether or not we "approve") is one of the dumbest things that could happen. Even though it has become practically a federal crime in this country, smoking is still alive and well in most of the world. WDW is a worldwide destination. It is just plain heads in the sand, or up some other orifice, that thinks this would be a wise policy. It is one that will be very much regretted.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I am a smoker. I'm usually always on the smoking threads of Disney forums defending the smokers and attacking the anti-smokers who claim they have the right to not be around smoking. I can honestly say that this decision to remove the Adventureland smoking section was a good choice by Disney. I feel it was too close to the major walkway same as the one that used to be right on the side of the castle on a walkway that is also gone. I dont get why they removed the Tomorrowland one as it was tucked away in the back and guests never really went back there anyways. When I was there last year after it was removed, it was still pretty much a smoking section as dozens of people were smoking there. CMs walked right up while cleaning the ground and didnt say a word. I heard that CMs are not allowed to tell a guest to stop smoking, only security can. I may be wrong about that but its just what I heard. I will not smoke in Adventure land anyways because come to think of it, I dont think I ever used that location anyways. Now if they take away the one in Frontierland, I will be ****ed
I don't smoke either, but, I once did and I know the mentality of most people that have the habit. I wouldn't mind if they moved an area as long as they provide another. If smokers cannot find a place to have their smoke in peace, they will just say to hell with it, and smoke wherever they happen to be standing. We all know that CM's are powerless to stop it so they aren't worried about that. Security has their plate full with the way the world is now, so that is going to be so far down on the priority list that it probably drags the ground. People need to watch what they wish for, because getting what they think is a victory, is just merely a troop re-positioning.

No Name

As for today's news, well, if I'm understanding correctly, it's a replacement. So there are still three sections, just possibly better placement. Sounds like a positive and a small step forward. EDIT: I was not understanding correctly. Two smoking sections were removed, and one was added, though outside of the park.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Smoking is not only a waste of money and bad for you, but it's bad for those around you. That's why smoking in the parks is something I do not think should be allowed.

That is, unless the sections are far off (out of sight, preferably) from other guests. And if children are not allowed near them. Can't stand little girls with their daddies in the smoking sections, it's horrible. That would be a reasonable but big step foward.

But I really do think WDW should just completely bad regular smoking in the parks. Yes, I did say that. They fully can and should. Hey, maybe they'll happen to stop bad habits and save some lives by doing so. Smoking is not just a personal decision because it's disturbing and unhealthy to those around. That's why it's especially bad. Vaping is less disturbing and not really unhealthy to those around, so I'd be in full support of vaping sections only, regular smoking banned. If the guests can't help themselves, they should either leave the park to smoke, or shouldn't visit until they stop their unhealthy habit. That would be a huge step foward.

Sorry if I sound harsh. But it'd help everyone. It'd be good for the other guests and it'd be good for the people who are motivated to change their habits. And I think it'd be good for Disney's reputation. If not, they'd certainly look good in the history books. Hey Bob Iger, it would improve your legacy! What are you waiting for?!

It ironic and too sad that the company's founder died from smoking, yet 60 years later, people are allowed to make the same mistake in his parks. At least Walt didn't smoke around children.

As for today's news, well, if I'm understanding correctly, it's a replacement. So there are still three sections, just possibly better placement. Sounds like a positive and a small step forward.
Doesn't help those with the habit that are miserable. Last I heard they were human as well and deserve at least a little consideration. Walt did smoke around children, his own and others. When Walt was young there was no problem with it. Smoking was allowed in his park everywhere. He didn't smoke while being filmed or photographed, but, you can bet your last dollar that when the camera wasn't running there was a cigarette burning.

If there is indeed a replacement, then I have no problem with them moving ones that are blatantly in the path. Walt probably did die from what smoking did to his lungs, but, many people have lung cancer that never touched a cigarette, so it is just nothing more then an educated guess that his cancer was caused by smoking. I'm sure it didn't help at all, but, he might have had the cancer anyway, we don't know. Does make a good talking point though.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Personally I find smoking to be disgusting for health reasons and what not, but I don't judge smokers since we all have our vices. Also, as long as Disney accommodates it, people have a right to smoke. If it bothers you, then move away from the smoking area. When I'm around BTM, I stay away from the smokers' area. Walking in/out of Adventureland, you smell it for a second and move along. You can't sit here and tell people that they shouldn't do it or it should be banned because "you don't like it."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom