Advanced Dining Reservations question

GoneViral

Original Poster
Hey, friends. I just logged on the DVC site and watched in horror as the countdown hit 180. It was a fluke that I even noticed, and I panicked as I tried to book some ADRs. Since we were just at Disney last week, I had given this no thought at all.

This is the first time I've ever tried to book most of my ADRs online. I'm running into an issue. I can only book for the first date, not any of the following ones. Since we're staying for more than a week, I'd planned to schedule the more difficult ADRs on those later days. It's the first day + 7 deal that we've discussed here for years, but I seem locked out.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is the old ADR date system gone now? Do I need to book day by day from now on?

GoneViral

Original Poster
I've investigated this. I definitely have my reservations booked. The problem appears to be that I have a split stay. The system recognizes that I have a reservation through a certain date, but it will only allow me to book ADRs for the first hotel stay. Unfortunately, that's just one day. So, I'm out of luck on the other nights. I have a family member who has verified the same issue on a different day. So, the system appears to have a glitch.

I sincerely appreciate the reply/advice.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I've investigated this. I definitely have my reservations booked. The problem appears to be that I have a split stay. The system recognizes that I have a reservation through a certain date, but it will only allow me to book ADRs for the first hotel stay. Unfortunately, that's just one day. So, I'm out of luck on the other nights. I have a family member who has verified the same issue on a different day. So, the system appears to have a glitch.

Its not a glitch.
Its now the new norm as that is what Disney put into place earlier this year I believe.
Its 2 separate reservations and now Disney is making the website reflect that.

Hcalvert

Its not a glitch.
Its now the new norm as that is what Disney put into place earlier this year I believe.
Its 2 separate reservations and now Disney is making the website reflect that.
I had an one day split stay at Poly and an eight night stay at POR in July. I was able to book all my fastpasses (in May) and ADR (in January) on the first available day (based on the Poly date) without any problems. Maybe I got in before the changes. I have another split stay in June that I will be booking ADRs for in December, so I guess I will find out then.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I had an one day split stay at Poly and an eight night stay at POR in July. I was able to book all my fastpasses (in May) and ADR (in January) on the first available day (based on the Poly date) without any problems. Maybe I got in before the changes. I have another split stay in June that I will be booking ADRs for in December, so I guess I will find out then.
I believe it went into effect for reservations booked after February something of 2019. You booked prior to that so that is why.

nickys

Premium Member

This has been the case for some time now. Split stays have had separate booking windows for ADRs, whilst FPs have one.

Member Services can book your reservations for the second part of your stay if you call. You may find you then can’t modify them, that seems to be a fairly recent change. But again, MS could alter them for you if there’s availability.

HouCuseChickie

You basically have two 180s. It's not new, but it's frustrating. I had this happen for my 2014 trip and was told that since the system shifted from 180+10 to 180+length of stay back in 2013 (onset of magic bands and MDE), it was now programmed to look specifically at the length of stay for each confirm number.

GoneViral

Original Poster
Yes, I can update now. That's exactly what happened. When the second part of my split stay opened this morning, my full booking window opened. A cast member told me yesterday that they would make an exception and book for me. Since it was more than 20 reservations, I wanted to do it myself. I've had split stays many times before. This is the first time that I ever experienced this on MDE. Ah well. We got what we needed, so it was just temporarily annoying.

Jon81uk

Seems like common sense that if you have a split stay it is two (or more) separate reservations with separate booking windows that open 180 (or 60 for FP) days from the start of that reservation.

GoneViral

Original Poster
It's one resort stay. A well-implemented system would recognize that. And Disney cast members tell me that it should. Sometimes, it doesn't, though.

nickys

Premium Member
I mean, that's not what the IT guy at Disney said, but you're entitled to that opinion.

What did he say? Specifically that it was not two reservations? Or that the system should recognise it as a continuing stay?

Both are actually incorrect.

When you have two reservation numbers it is two reservations. That’s what a reservation number is, a reservation. The term “split stay” is not one used by Disney, it’s what people on forums use to describe two back to back, continuous stays.

The dining part of MDE does not recognise these back to back or split stays as such. The windows are separate for ADRs and dining plans.

The FP system is set up to recognise them and treats them as one continuing stay. For a short time earlier this year, that changed - and created mayhem and upset. Whether that was intentional, as part of the move to cut down on loopholes, or unintentional as a result of other changes, is unclear.

Sometimes the ADR system does recognise them as one continuing stay but it isn’t normal. The usual situation has been separate windows.

The IT help line is no more well-versed in the ins and outs of the system than the phone CMs. Simply because they cannot possibly be abreast of all updates. What they may think is intended is not necessarily what does happen. These systems have been added on to and modified countless times. Patches everywhere.

What DVC Member Services do for members is create a temporary fake continuing stay so they can book ADRs across two or more reservations. An IT person may also be able to do that, and the person who helped you did just that; not all CMs will have the authority to do so.

GoneViral

Original Poster
What did he say? Specifically that it was not two reservations? Or that the system should recognise it as a continuing stay?

Both are actually incorrect.

I suspect that the point of confusion here is that I have a DVC stay booked. The first night is a one-bedroom at Hospitality House. The rest of the trip is a studio at Hospitality House. I certainly have two confirmation numbers, which no one is disputing. However, I have what's tantamount to a nine-night stay at the same resort. The IT stressed that the system should and usually does recognize that. He postulated that the issue might be that I originally had nine nights in the studio before breaking off the first night into a one-bedroom.

As for your last statement, that's entirely possible. Having worked in the hotel industry for a time in that kind of customer support situation, I've been in precisely the situation you describe wherein I had special booking privileges that weren't otherwise accessible. What you describe actually would have been a termination-worthy offense there, as making temporary, fake reservations was a huge no-no in a complex multiple hotel chain system. But it's logical that Disney would do this to maintain customer satisfaction.

Having said that, DVC Member Services didn't help me with this. I actually went straight through Disney, as that's what Siri dialed while I was driving that evening. This individual (not the IT) said that they could have helped, but I reached my destination too quickly and had to go. The following morning, the system unlocked the rest of my dates. So, it may not be a special privileges issues anyway. It may be a known, accepted solution to the practice when the problem arises.

I followed up with IT after the fact because I wanted Disney to know about my experience. I spoke with the IT for a few minutes, and the person explained (in a rambling way) about the process. The system is supposed to identify a customer's entire vacation plan, whether the person has one or six different hotel stays on the trip. Obviously, that's just a good programming practice, and you indicate that Disney has/had it for FastPasses.

Since the digital system for Magic Bands didn't come until later, they surely programmed the two systems at different times. From a user perspective, a split stay shouldn't matter since a vacation is a vacation. However, the system is apparently susceptible to hiccups, which is what's creating all of this confusion.

In fact, I had a problem simply recounting the matter to the IT. We went through the usual boilerplate about OS and browser. I use Firefox, and he cut me off right there. Apparently, MDE has so many glitches that IT needs users to default to Chrome before advancing through additional troubleshooting steps.

Nicky, I sincerely appreciate your help in particular earlier in the thread. It was informative. The situation seemed strange to me because I also have a split stay coming up in a few weeks and just had a split stay last week. It's our default traveling style, at least at WDW. I was able to book my ADRs without any issues in each instance. I just don't think Disney has their ducks in a row on this one.

Hcalvert

I was able to make all of my dining reservations for my split stay (2 night stay at CCV and 3 night stay at Poly) without any problems in July . This morning, I was able to make my FPs for all of that same stay. I rented points for Poly only, so it is technically partly a DVC stay if that matters. Like I said before, I had a split stay between Poly and POR in July and I was able to book everything at the same time and obviously, only Poly was under DVC.

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I was able to make all of my dining reservations for my split stay (2 day stay at CCV and 4 day stay at Poly) without any problems in July . This morning, I was able to make my FPs for all of that same stay. I rented points, so it is technically a DVC stay if that matters. Like I said before, I had a split stay between Poly and POR in July and I was able to book everything at the same time and obviously, only Poly was under DVC.

Renting DVC may make a difference. Or it could have to do with when you booked it. (was it booked before or after the policy change)
But like I said this all went into place earlier this year so your July 2019 trip was not a part of the new procedure.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
Renting DVC may make a difference. Or it could have to do with when you booked it. (was it booked before or after the policy change)
But like I said this all went into place earlier this year so your July 2019 trip was not a part of the new procedure.

DVC or non-DVC makes no difference.

I think if some people have managed this before then it was maybe a transient update.

Because certainly since 2016, far more people on all forums have consistently reported having separate booking windows for ADRs on a split stay than have reported being able to book for all their continuing stays. And DVC Member Services have always mentioned their ability to override that as being a “perk” for DVC members.

Hcalvert

I have two more split stays to go---one in March (2 nights at CCV & 4 nights at Poly) and another in June (8 nights at CCV & 6 nights at BLT). I'll have to remember to post again if I was able to do it all in one shot. Both are DVC, but the June 2020 trip is over 10 nights, so that will scupper it up. I'll have to see if I can book at least the 10 night maximum. My original booking was not CCV/Poly, but CSR/Poly at the time of the ADR window. I didn't book Poly until 1.5 months ago and CCV shortly after that, which was an AP deal.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom