Adding someone to your membership

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
My husband and I want to add our adult son to our DVC membership. I reached out to DVC member administration and was sent this:

In order to add anyone to or remove anyone from the Membership as an Owner, you will need to work with a title company or an attorney to assist with creating and recording a new deed. The new deed would show the transfer of ownership from the way it is currently titled into the way you want it to be titled. The fees will be based upon the company you choose to work with. The new Members being added would share the same benefits that you currently receive for the contracts to which they are added.

They also recommended title companies based by state in which the deed is located.

My question(s):
Have any of you ever done this? Is it quick? Painless? Expensive? Did/would you use the Disney recommended Title agencies or find a different one?

RememberWhen

My mom added me and my sisters to her DVC deed. It was painless on my end, but it did seem to take awhile. I think she just went with the title company DVC recommended.

I did it myself several years ago when I added my wife to my contracts. I'll see if I can dig up the paperwork.

It wasn't hard to do, by the way. By the way, I'm not an attorney or paralegal. I'm just a guy who has interest in a variety of areas.
But like all legal paperwork, you need to pay attention to even the smallest details. If you're in doubt, go with a pro.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I did it myself several years ago when I added my wife to my contracts. I'll see if I can dig up the paperwork.

It wasn't hard to do, by the way. By the way, I'm not an attorney or paralegal. I'm just a guy who has interest in a variety of areas.
But like all legal paperwork, you need to pay attention to even the smallest details. If you're in doubt, go with a pro.
Turns out my BIL is an attorney in Florida and has agreed to do the work and give me “the family discount”😉

nickys

Premium Member
Turns out my BIL is an attorney in Florida and has agreed to do the work and give me “the family discount”😉
Just make sure you look at the implications of doing so.

For a start he could use all the points himself or cancel reservations etc. Not suggesting he would do so intentionally but he has equal rights as an owner.

And it would count amongst his assets - would that affect any scholarships he may get? Or if he was to get divorced you could end up having to buy him out or sell. And even bankruptcy implications.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom