Adding points question

Epcotfan21

Original Poster
Sorry guys, I tried researching this on the net with no luck, so I figured this was probably the next best place to start.

Family friends of ours are DVC members and have 220 points a year at SSR. We're playing an early 2011 family vacation in January and inquired through them about possibly purchasing some of their points to use for the trip. Unfortunately, they said they definitely plan on using all of their points in 2011, but said that they'd be more than happy to add points to their DVC if we wanted to front the cost.

I guess I'm trying to see if this is even worth doing. We wanted to rent a 2 bedroom villa at SSR or Boardwalk. I was able to find that a 2 bedroom villa at Boarwalk for 2 nights (Friday and Saturday) would be a total of 70 pts and at SSR 76 pts. How much of a cost would it be to our friend to add either 70 or 76 pts to their yearly total? Can that even be done for just one year or once they add, they're added for good?

I'm guessing it probably wouldn't be a good deal for us in the end, but just wanted to make sure before we started considering other options. Thanks for your help in advance.

mousefan1972

Um, your friends said they would add on to their contract if YOU paid for the points?? Were they kidding, I hope? On the resale market, SSR points can be purchase for around $65 per point. 76 points X $65 per point would be $4940. Plus those points would be available every year until 2054. :lookaroun

So you would pay nearly 5K to use the points once, then your friend would have use of them for another 43 years? Not such a good deal for you, I think.

I really think either your friend was kidding with you, or has no idea how his DVC works. I hope he was kidding..... You are better off finding another owner to rent points from.

Mammymouse

Maybe your friend meant that they would "borrow" the points for you to use, and you could "rent" the points from them for the trip. Members can borrow points to use this year from their next year's allotment. Or maybe they could have banked some of their points previously and will have to use those banked points next year before they expire, and you could rent them.

Phonedave

You can also TRANSFER points from one DVC owner to another.

If I wanted to, I could send some of my points over to someones else's contract. Maybe this is what he is suggesting? You rent the points from someone, but instead of having to trust them to make the reservation, you have the points transfered to him.

The hitch in this plan is that transfers are not supposed to involve any sort of cash sale.

-dave

mousefan1972

You can also TRANSFER points from one DVC owner to another.

If I wanted to, I could send some of my points over to someones else's contract. Maybe this is what he is suggesting? You rent the points from someone, but instead of having to trust them to make the reservation, you have the points transfered to him.

The hitch in this plan is that transfers are not supposed to involve any sort of cash sale.

-dave

I hope that is what OP's friend meant. The way I took it was just craziness. :lol:

Pioneer Hall

You might want to look at renting from elsewhere as well. There are other boards and sites that have renting areas that might have what you are looking for. If your friend was talking about borrowing, then you are fine. However, the way you wrote it made it seem like your friend is trying to get you to add on to their contract for them. This would obviously not work to your best interests at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom